Home Table Accessories Help

Hi everyone, I hope you all had good holidays and people are staying healthy and safe. I grew up with a 6ft bar table and played just for fun. No drills, practice or decent balls/cues. Played every once in a while on dates or at bars, etc., but that is about it. I am approaching 40, have two very young kids (5 and 3), live in a Colorado ski town and the wife and I both work from home. About a month ago, the wife mentioned wanting a pool table and to move our offices to a different part of the house and make a game room. I initially said no, but then slept on it and thought it was a great idea.

Me being the person that I am, I immediately began researching tables, and am now working with the Diamond Rep (Dave) out of Denver on ordering a 7ft Diamond Professional table. Unfortunately, an 8ft would be tight in the space (19x15) due to it being an above the garage apartment with angled ceilings. I now have a couple questions as I look at the accessories for the table and thought maybe this group would be willing to help. I want it to be a nice playing experience for myself, wife and guest, but nothing crazy. So on with the questions:

- Should I try to negotiate any accessories with the table? I think Dave is more of a factory rep then a store owner that carries other company products?

- I have always been fascinated with pool on TV, even when I didn't play or have a table. I am thinking I will buy the Aramith Pro-Cup TV ball set so the colors are instinctual between watching on TV and playing. Any reason to look elsewhere or go standard colors?

- I know I probably will need a third cue for cutthroat, but to start, I was thinking of buying two Player C900 cues (19 oz) and a Players combo jump/break cue in the $100 to $125 range. Any other suggestions in this price range for cues and any suggestion on which of the Players jump break cues to pick?

- Any suggestions for chalk? We are currently deciding between grey, slate grey and mocha for the cloth. Does anyone make a decent chalk that matches these colors well?

- What else might we need? A brush and rack?

- Are people using those plastic templates that you put the balls on top of for their home tables/practice? Good to have both types?

- Lastly, the table will be on the second floor and on a pine hardwood floor. Yes, it is soft (beetle kill pine), but in a mountain home, the rustic appearance of a beat up floor makes some sense. I am planning to put a rug down. What size? Also, should I cut some plywood squares (maybe 12" x12") for under each foot to help the table from settling (as much)? Maybe cut off the corners at a 45 degree angle? The table has some height adjustment (type 3 legs) correct? I would assume a player wouldn't really notice the 3/4" height increase? I don't know what the bottom of the feet look like and have not been able to find pictures.

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, are you sure you have all your questions down? You might be missing something. You better rethink your decision here. Clearly you are very unsure about too many things. You might not be ready for a new table.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you certain your second floor is stable enough for the weight of the pool table? The last thing you want is for it to move when you are playing causing the balls to rock. I've seen it before with a 9' table but it may not be as severe with a 7'. As for cloth color, I'd got with Tournament Blue. Aramith TV Set is a good choice. I've got no input on the cues.

Are you certain your second floor is stable enough for the weight of the pool table? The last thing you want is for it to move when you are playing causing the balls to rock. I've seen it before with a 9' table but it may not be as severe with a 7'. As for cloth color, I'd got with Tournament Blue. Aramith TV Set is a good choice. I've got no input on the cues.
2x6 walls, fully sheeted, on a full slab...on bedrock. 2x8s on 15" centers with a double 2x10 beam running length 9'6" span for the 2x8s. 3/4" plywood sheeted second floor...fully finished, oh and the entire "garage" is tied into the house by our mudroom and second floor tv room. Entire house is 2x6 walls, sheeted on both sides and fully filled with foam insulation and a ton of timber/beam work. So no, it won't move. ;-)

Thanks for the input on the balls. The beetle kill flooring has a lot of steel blue streaks in it, and the kitchen in the room is brown knotty alder, trim is CVG in a light brown matte finish. We don't have a ton of blue décor, but I will run past the wife. The table wood is going to be lighter and match the flooring. Not sure if we will go lighter or darker on the rug?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ball sets on the televised matches change almost yearly, as sponsors change, and as manufacturers try to one up the other on who can pick the worst colors;) So get a set you like the look of.

Aramith is the top brand. But there is a new player in town called Dynasphere that has a set for $60 that is excellent. If budget is a concern.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a member here who had a maple Diamond table with a clear finish. It looked great, if you are looking for a light color.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2x6 walls, fully sheeted, on a full slab...on bedrock. 2x8s on 15" centers with a double 2x10 beam running length 9'6" span for the 2x8s. 3/4" plywood sheeted second floor...fully finished, oh and the entire "garage" is tied into the house by our mudroom and second floor tv room. Entire house is 2x6 walls, sheeted on both sides and fully filled with foam insulation and a ton of timber/beam work. So no, it won't move. ;-)

Thanks for the input on the balls. The beetle kill flooring has a lot of steel blue streaks in it, and the kitchen in the room is brown knotty alder, trim is CVG in a light brown matte finish. We don't have a ton of blue décor, but I will run past the wife. The table wood is going to be lighter and match the flooring. Not sure if we will go lighter or darker on the rug?
Cloth color should be chosen for playability and strain or lack thereof, on the eyes. Perhaps you can select a table cover in a color to match your decor.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally would not put plywood under the feet. Being inside your own home, your family might be playing barefoot or socks only at times. I can see bruising your toes a lot on a square board.

The ball sets on the televised matches change almost yearly, as sponsors change, and as manufacturers try to one up the other on who can pick the worst colors;) So get a set you like the look of.

Aramith is the top brand. But there is a new player in town called Dynasphere that has a set for $60 that is excellent. If budget is a concern.
It looks like the standard color "Super Pro" balls are a little cheaper and you can buy single replacement balls. Not that I am looking to lose balls, but with a couple young kids, maybe having that option is safer.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had to grin, I think your house may shake, ... if there is a big enough quake in california! Of course it is one of the more easily changed options but light to medium blue are probably the easiest cloths to see balls against. Lighter greens are a close second. The darker colors that are a fashion choice will affect both the ability to play and the length of time you can play on the table, eye strain. Something that might be a compromise towards décor that seems to play well is light tan cloth, I think camel. I always flinch when I see people trying to get serious about their game and they have black cloth on their table!

Judging by your home I suspect you have two pennies to rub together. That being the case I would seriously consider playing cues for you and your wife that come with carbon fiber shafts or that will not offend the boss' eye if you put a carbon fiber shaft on them. Adding to your cost but are you really gonna make your guests play with a house cue? Not that this is much of a handicap but it may appear to be to them.

Although I indulged in a bit of good natured teasing, you do have to make a choice if this is primarily a room to play serious pool in or primarily a feature of the house. Things like cloth choice and even cue choice are heavily impacted by that consideration.

Hu

I personally would not put plywood under the feet. Being inside your own home, your family might be playing barefoot or socks only at times. I can see bruising your toes a lot on a square board.
Thanks...I was thinking under the rug so you couldn't see them and would avoid what you are saying. Maybe a dumb idea. My fear was more about the feet settling down into the wood and then the table not being level. We are 4 plus hours from Denver, so not sure how easy it would be to get a mechanic up to re-level the table. Could do 1/2" just to spread the weight out...maybe a question for the installer.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Welcome. Share some pics when you can, please? Floor sounds beyond interesting. We have a thread, 'show us your home table' that has been going for a really long time.

Re table color...the traditional colors are the way to go. It is one of those things that one just needs to admit others have done the hard work and determined what is 'right'.

The tournament blues and green are easiest on the eyes and you'll have better sighting during gameplay.

To approach the choice from the perspective of matching decor is perplexing, beyond the play aspect. You are putting a giant thing in the middle of the room, matching the drapes isn't going to make it any less commanding visually, and the lovely blue or green is sure to add some flair to any room.

You didn't ask about table light, btw :rolleyes::giggle:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cloth color should be chosen for playability and strain or lack thereof, on the eyes. Perhaps you can select a table cover in a color to match your decor.
Dang! With a cover on my table I still overlook the obvious. Tournament blue cloth and a nice cover, problem solved!

As far as racks, the triangles will certainly get the job done, the quality plastic templates actually force the balls together and gravity helps hold them together. The cuts in the template cause the balls to want to run slightly downhill and hold together tightly. There is a difference breaking with a traditional rack or a template.

I would put some sort of coaster under the feet. Smallish plywood beveled at a forty-five or so will work just fine. You can get it with a nice veneer for under a hundred an entire four by eight sheet and stain it to suit.

Finally, while you didn't mention the specific town you are near, one of the nicest and most knowledgeable members on the forum is near Vail. I'll volunteer his assistance if you are nearby!(grin)

Hu

There was a member here who had a maple Diamond table with a clear finish. It looked great, if you are looking for a light color.
Any chance you remember where it was posted? Home setup thread maybe? The one we are looking at was on the shelves in the back and is white oak. I will post some pics of the rails in a moment.
I had to grin, I think your house may shake, ... if there is a big enough quake in california! Of course it is one of the more easily changed options but light to medium blue are probably the easiest cloths to see balls against. Lighter greens are a close second. The darker colors that are a fashion choice will affect both the ability to play and the length of time you can play on the table, eye strain. Something that might be a compromise towards décor that seems to play well is light tan cloth, I think camel. I always flinch when I see people trying to get serious about their game and they have black cloth on their table!

Judging by your home I suspect you have two pennies to rub together. That being the case I would seriously consider playing cues for you and your wife that come with carbon fiber shafts or that will not offend the boss' eye if you put a carbon fiber shaft on them. Adding to your cost but are you really gonna make your guests play with a house cue? Not that this is much of a handicap but it may appear to be to them.

Although I indulged in a bit of good natured teasing, you do have to make a choice if this is primarily a room to play serious pool in or primarily a feature of the house. Things like cloth choice and even cue choice are heavily impacted by that consideration.

Hu
The cloth comments are very much what I came here for. I did not think about eye strain and being able to see the balls, etc. I will have some follow up questions on that for sure.

This is primarily just a pool room, with a wet bar and deck off the front. A place to relax and for me to play pool after the kids are in bed instead of watching TV. Hopefully once COVID is over, we can have guest again. Because of where we live, we have a lot of friends come and stay with us to ski and hike, etc.

I read some on a carbon fiber shafts, and I just felt so lost, I skipped it. I would like to stay in the $100 to $150 range for the first set of cues that will become our "house" cues. I was thinking down the road I might get myself a nicer one, but probably play with the house cues against guest...or get something that doesn't look to much different so they can't tell...lol. If that is going to be a carbon fiber shaft down the road...should probably go the same way for the house cues so they can look similar to an untrained eye. I am fully open to any suggestions..please.
Welcome. Share some pics when you can, please? Floor sounds beyond interesting. We have a thread, 'show us your home table' that has been going for a really long time.

Re table color...the traditional colors are the way to go. It is one of those things that one just needs to admit others have done the hard work and determined what is 'right'.

The tournament blues and green are easiest on the eyes and you'll have better sighting during gameplay.

To approach the choice from the perspective of matching decor is perplexing, beyond the play aspect. You are putting a giant thing in the middle of the room, matching the drapes isn't going to make it any less commanding visually, and the lovely blue or green is sure to add some flair to any room.

You didn't ask about table light, btw :rolleyes::giggle:
Yes, as mentioned I didn't even think about it. At least I thought to ask the experts. That definitely takes out the mocha and slate grey then. So more toward the tournament blue, powder blue, camel and grey. Can someone rank some of the colors for playability? I have good eye sight, but I think I could steer the boss with the playability excuse. She has terrible eyesight...which worked out for me when I asked her out.

As for the light...I am going to start without one. That particular room only has 8 ft ceilings and when I re-did it, I put 6 LED pot lights lengthwise along the 15ft space and the kitchen sits back in a nook with a pair as well. Is it pretty darn bright at night...but once the table is in, I may searching the threads here.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, Diamond offers 3 pocket sizes. League cut, pro cut, and one pocket cut. They are roughly 5", 4.5", and 4.25" in size, respectively. If you are a casual player, and the family wants to have the most fun, my strong opinion is to get the 5" pockets. Making balls is what makes the game fun. Many of the members here recommend the 4.5" pockets, but the members here are pool fanatics:) (Me included, but I actually have 5" pockets on my home table and love them).

Even with a 5" pocket opening, these pockets will be tougher than any table at a bar you ever played on in your life. The bar tables have angles completely different, that make the ball drop if it hits the rail anywhere near the pocket. Diamond (and Brunswick) commercial tables have angles so that when the ball hits the rail near the pocket, the pocket will actually spit the ball out.

Dang! With a cover on my table I still overlook the obvious. Tournament blue cloth and a nice cover, problem solved!

As far as racks, the triangles will certainly get the job done, the quality plastic templates actually force the balls together and gravity helps hold them together. The cuts in the template cause the balls to want to run slightly downhill and hold together tightly. There is a difference breaking with a traditional rack or a template.

I would put some sort of coaster under the feet. Smallish plywood beveled at a forty-five or so will work just fine. You can get it with a nice veneer for under a hundred an entire four by eight sheet and stain it to suit.

Finally, while you didn't mention the specific town you are near, one of the nicest and most knowledgeable members on the forum is near Vail. I'll volunteer his assistance if you are nearby!(grin)

Hu
I would love the help! I am 1.5 hours from Vail in a small town 20 minutes north of Aspen...no, I don't have Aspen money! I didn't name the town as no one but fly fisherman know it and I always get judged for living near Aspen.

I don't plan to put a cover on the table. The room is very low dust.

Gonna try to post pics...

The floor in the room:

5pXddgW.jpg

Rail pics sent by the the Diamond Rep we are working with (he has been awesome BTW):
With my trim board sample, followed by kitchen cabinets
VXzzK3n.jpg

UDfgEUg.jpg

umSYSOD.jpg

Also, Diamond offers 3 pocket sizes. League cut, pro cut, and one pocket cut. They are roughly 5", 4.5", and 4.25" in size, respectively. If you are a casual player, and the family wants to have the most fun, my strong opinion is to get the 5" pockets. Making balls is what makes the game fun. Many of the members here recommend the 4.5" pockets, but the members here are pool fanatics:) (Me included, but I actually have 5" pockets on my home table and love them).

Even with a 5" pocket opening, these pockets will be tougher than any table at a bar you ever played on in your life. The bar tables have angles completely different, that make the ball drop if it hits the rail anywhere near the pocket. Diamond (and Brunswick) commercial tables have angles so that when the ball hits the rail near the pocket, the pocket will actually spit the ball out.
Great point. Does it matter more on a 7ft table? I was leaning toward the 4.5" because of the smaller table, but I didn't think about the bevels, etc.