Home Table Accessories Help

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great point. Does it matter more on a 7ft table? I was leaning toward the 4.5" because of the smaller table, but I didn't think about the bevels, etc.
The 4.5" pockets are brutally unforgiving. I would not recommend unless you are a very good player and want to really challenge yourself.

I've played a lot on a 7' diamond with the 5" pockets and it a lot more fun.

The 4.5" pockets are brutally unforgiving. I would not recommend unless you are a very good player and want to really challenge yourself.

I've played a lot on a 7' diamond with the 5" pockets and it a lot more fun.
The table is truly meant just to be fun. I am sure I am the only one that ever practice or do drills, etc. I think you are right on the 5" then.

I did a bunch of reading while eating my lunch on the cloth colors. I see the point about the traditional colors and tournament blue, but it sounds like Camel, Powder Blue and even Grey would not be bad either for playing and my eyes...probably in that order, correct?

Nikrnic

I've been sold on Simonis gold cloth for years. I find it the easiest on the eyes and best on seeing the the balls.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Brunswick Gold Crown with gray Simonis 860 on it, and I haven't noticed any eye strain problems, and there's plenty of contrast with the balls. So, works good, I think.

Master chalk is available in over a dozen colors, I think (even though the manufacturer only lists eight on its site).

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond league cut is listed as 4.75" on the Manning cue site that was posted earlier in this thread.

Dave in Denver can give you the skinny (no pun intended).
Thanks. Dave has been great and I am sure will help me with these final decisions. Everyone's posts and comments have been super helpful in me knowing what questions to ask him. Speaking of which....this whole pocket size and Diamond vs Gold Crown vs Olhausen sure is a rabbit hole! lol

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this whole pocket size and Diamond vs Gold Crown vs Olhausen sure is a rabbit hole! lol
Folks should get what they want, what makes them happy. I always wanted a Gold Crown, and I'm very happy with it. I also want the "standard," 5" pockets, because it's a family and friends entertainment table, not a serious competitors' table. That said, it's still not "easy;" we still rattle balls out of the corner pockets.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Awesome...that is what I was going for...problem is I don't live in a big city, so tough to be an urban professional.
You're trending then, embrace it. Location does not a yuppie make.

But seriously, since this is a serious thread. IMO...buy decent one piece house cues for the beginning. New players, very casual players, uncommitted players...drag cues around a table and room like it's a garden rake. Anything they can find to bounce a shaft off of, they will.

Providing a nice cue to a guest SHOULD mean one that is clean, straight and dent free. Practice with house cues on that front first unless burning cash is an objective.

You're trending then, embrace it. Location does not a yuppie make.

But seriously, since this is a serious thread. IMO...buy decent one piece house cues for the beginning. New players, very casual players, uncommitted players...drag cues around a table and room like it's a garden rake. Anything they can find to bounce a shaft off of, they will.

Providing a nice cue to a guest SHOULD mean one that is clean, straight and dent free. Practice with house cues on that front first unless burning cash is an objective.
Well...yuppie stands for “young urban professional” or at the least a well paid young professional. I am a pour person in the county I live in. Average home price for 2020 was $11M...lol.

Quick question...do two pieces bend easier? As of now, I don’t have any teenagers in the house, and I would expect adult guest to be respectful. If the difference between two $100 cues and two $50 cues broke the bank...one should not be buying a table. Not like I am gonna hand out $1500 or even $500 cues.

Also, it seems like a waste of money to buy a bunch of sticks that will literally just sit in a rack and not get used but a handful of times each year. At least with a two piece I could replace the shaft for relatively cheap.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Well...yuppie stands for “young urban professional” or at the least a well paid young professional. I am a pour person in the county I live in. Average home price for 2020 was $11M...lol.

Quick question...do two pieces bend easier? As of now, I don’t have any teenagers in the house, and I would expect adult guest to be respectful. If the difference between two $100 cues and two $50 cues broke the bank...one should not be buying a table. Not like I am gonna hand out $1500 or even $500 cues.

Also, it seems like a waste of money to buy a bunch of sticks that will literally just sit in a rack and not get used but a handful of times each year. At least with a two piece I could replace the shaft for relatively cheap.
Well then I wouldn't call the neighborhood "country". Ya'll can have trees and hiking paths but I doubt too many keep pigs there. Could be wrong. Yuppies in spirit at least, eh?

You can expect an adult guest to bang that shaft against the table, a wall, a coffee table or the pool table light just as often as a rowdy teen. I was just trying to save you the disappointment. Personally I feel better removing dents from moderate house cues versus nicer two pieces. Especially since the casual shooter won't benefit by anything better than the one piece house cue.

If your decisions are about "style" then I'd say that'd be a yuppie thang but if you want to put a straight clean cue in guests hands and not wince as much as they bang it off your table, that might be an experienced pool shooter thang.

But here's the question: Why would someone coming to YOUR home need a two piece cue? Are they taking it home after you play?

The two piece was so they didn’t feel different when I was using a two piece or like I was giving them then crappy stick. I can’t find a house cue or one piece nicer then $38. What do you play with at your house?

it’s too cold here for pigs...but chasing elk with my bow sure is fun 😂

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
The two piece was so they didn’t feel different when I was using a two piece or like I was giving them then crappy stick. I can’t find a house cue or one piece nicer then $38. What do you play with at your house?

I treat guests like gold. I'm sure you like to as well. That does not mean I over-think what cue they use because I GUARANTEE they aren't thinking about it 1/2 as hard as you are. And anyone that had ever played pool in a bar (that's many peoples extent of experience) was a grungy, dirty, crooked, tip-failing, one piece cue. And they had fun. YOU hand them a clean, straight, well-tipped and conditioned house cue that looks like new and they will likely be thrilled!

And it's YOUR room, so it's almost expected that you have your OWN cue. Are you thinking you'll have to lessen your own equipment quality because some schmuck friend guest came over to enjoy your table? What you both play with need to be "Even Steven" looking? :unsure:

I am being a little snarky but it's only because I get a sense this has little to do with pool or a pool room and more like a decorative venture (see yuppie). To answer your question however I have 4 guest house cues, new, clean, excellent shape in a rack on the wall. Straight as an arrow, 18, 19 an 20oz. They never leave the house so 1 piece works and frankly they wear better than cheap two-piece cues would (the price you alluded to).

I use my player cue or my sneaky pete which I've had 40 years. NO ONE gets to use them. EVER. I don't want to hate on a friend or relative because they were too clumsy or lazy to care for my cue like I do. It doesn't mean I have to cheapen my experience by using the same thing I am providing them. But if your guest is going to "judge you" by the "looks" of the cue you have them use...you need new guests (or they should bring their own). 👍

289FIA

I feel and share your excitement!! I started researching tables back in June of 2020 ... cancelled a new home project with horse barn .. that would have had a bonus room over the garage with a pool table .. so we decided to build a "cottage" in back of our house as a "man cave" with a room with a billiard table, a separate "wet bar", a full bath, and a bedroom that willl be used as my ammo reloading room.

So .. I have a Diamond furniture model table in a warehouse waiting for set up .. (the last one they had as they were discontinued as all of their tables will now feature the PRO CUT pockets only). This table has pockets smaller than the LEAGUE cut AND 1/4" LARGER than the pro cut. 8' length. Table is OAK stained Cherry .. and I built a light box tha holds 4 LED tubes (7500 lumens), with an Escutcheon to mount to the ceiling, also built a few DRINK RAILS .. two of which are notched to hold cues.

We put wood look porcelain tile on the floor, have an oriental rug (10' * 13') that will go under the table. Bought a McDermott G204 playing cue, and one of McDermott's Star (imported) break cues, along with a 2nd Star cue for friends. Will add another shortly. Upgraded the tips on the playing cues as well as the break cue. Bought Aramith Super Aramith Pro balls .. and built a cue rack with a box for the balls (all built items are made of the same oak as the table .. and I got the Cherry stain from the Diamond supplier so all wood items will match.

Chomping at the bit to get this up and running .. but construction has delayed due to Covid and holidays .. probably another 4-6 weeks .. and I will then be able to start playing on my table in my "Pub and Billiard" room.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

I also live in a Colorado ski town that is close to two hours away from Denver so I have built my own pool room and have a big Diamond. I have mine on a concrete floor that is heated and it does not move around too much. I looked at the league cut pockets when ordering but went with Procut pockets and am very glad I did. When I do get down to the flats and play with the killers I can at least hang with them.
I received a Magic Rack combo set for Christmas and so far I love it.
I would agree that it is much easier to hand a casual player a house cue then one of my better cues, the cues do get knocked around by my friends and they don't even realize when they do it.