Honestly, I'm REALLY fed up with straightpool.

Sire380

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bluepepper said:
I agree with what everyone has said here. I just have a couple of things to add.

First of all, I'm a lazy practicer. My cueball control isn't as good as it needs to be to run 100s. If you point at a spot on the table for me to hit, I'll get within a foot and a half on average. I've seen people practice position by laying out a dollar bill. That's the kind of control I think that runs 100s. I think getting into the habit of picking an exact spot on the table to land on is one we all need to ingrain. It's so easy to get lazy and sloppy, and all the time we are ingraining laziness and sloppiness. I think if we diligently focused on this while we played, we would learn more precisely where the cueball goes as a side effect. It has to sharpen us up.

Also,
If you can run out racks of 9-ball, you can most certainly run more than 20 balls in straight pool with the following mindset. I'm not suggesting it's the way to think if you want to run 100s, because you will get trapped at some point because the balls have to cooperate. But when I think this way, runs over 20 come very often.

Before you shoot any shot think of only one thing, "Where is the safest place to put the cueball so that I have more than one shot to choose from on the next play?"

You empty your mind of all but insurance. You don't save break balls. You don't plan your end pattern. You only want to be aware of zones that have options available. When you're down to about 4 balls left in a rack, you choose the best one available for a break shot. It may not be ideal, but if it allows you to touch the rack, it may be all you need to string a couple or a few racks together.

Running balls this way gives me easier shots to play. No heroics necessary in order to preserve patterns. There's also very little brain energy required, so you don't worry and focus only on shotmaking and easy position.

Since the shots and the position play are going to be easy, you can be confident that there's no reason not to run a couple of racks just based on odds alone.
That sounds like a good idea, I'm going to try that one tactic. Also, if I miss a shot I'm not going to just re-rack and try again because that can be tiring and frustrating. Instead I will continue to shoot right up until the key and break ball. Because the fact that it is so rare for me to get to the key or break ball without missing, if I ever do I will be so nervous about not messing up the run that I will screw it up. So I should shoot the whole rack out whether I miss or not to practice position for the breakball every rack.

thyme3421

Playing since 1.1.05..ish
Silver Member
You mentioned you'd like to hear the story I had in mind... the more I think about it, the more it seems my little story isn't actually related. But here goes it... I'll shorten it a bit

A farmer recently moved to a new place. New land, new barn, new everything. Well a week or so after moving he found a hole about 10 feet deep. Before he had a chance to fill it his donkey fell in.
The farmer tried a few options and was unable to get the donkey free. Giving up he decided that he'd bury the donkey alive in the hole.
He tossed a shovel of dirt in, then another, and another.

The donkey was elated to discover what the farmer was doing and shook the dirt off his back. After the dirt piled up around his ankles a bit, he took a step up.
Eventually neighbors of the new farmer came by to help bury the donkey... within a couple hours the dirt in the hole piled up and the donkey was able to step out of the hole just fine.

There's a moral some where in there... I lost it when I started playing pool though.

thyme3421

Silver Member
mullyman said:
..... I've found myself saying in my head "Sure, go ahead and leave those balls locked up, I play straight pool, this is par for the course for me".
MULLY

It's funny you say that... there's been a few occasions that I'll get a slug rack from someone and leave a cluster f--- table. I think almost word for word the same thing you do.

It excites me to see the cluster on the table because I know that I have the advantage... even against a stronger 8/9ball player, that doesn't play 14.1

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
thyme3421 said:
There's a moral some where in there... I lost it when I started playing pool though.

Ummmm, Would the moral be "Friends can help you get your ass out of trouble"???
MULLY

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
mullyman said:
Ummmm, Would the moral be "Friends can help you get your ass out of trouble"???
MULLY

LOL, how about "Things aren't what they seem when you're dealing with ass holes." :rolleyes:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Since then, I have had a 109, an 84, and everything else has been below that. I haven't run over 60 in almost 2 weeks.

Blackjack - If you had to categorize the different things that end your runs when you aren't making a lot of balls, what would it be? For instance, when you haven't been playing a lot, do you tend to get out of line more, miss the break shot more, stick to or misjudge a cluster break more, etc?

Follow up question: Is it a lack of attention span from not playing that causes the above, or more something like speed control just not as precise as it needs to be?
Thanks,

thyme3421

Silver Member
I think in this case, it's something along the lines of when you stop trying to force something to happen, better things happen quicker.

err somethin' like that

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Dan White said:
Blackjack - If you had to categorize the different things that end your runs when you aren't making a lot of balls, what would it be? For instance, when you haven't been playing a lot, do you tend to get out of line more, miss the break shot more, stick to or misjudge a cluster break more, etc?

Follow up question: Is it a lack of attention span from not playing that causes the above, or more something like speed control just not as precise as it needs to be?
Thanks,

I tend to get out of line on either the key ball or the break ball. Usually I get to the break ball and miss it or scratch. Although the run ends on that shot, more times than not I could look back 3 or 4 shots in the last rack and pinpoint my error to a careless shot or careless position route - or by waiting to deal with a cluster too late - its usually something along those lines, or I just do something painfully human ....

like MISSING.

:p

So my advice is (and you can quote me on this) hit the balls into the back of the pocket, not into the rails. You score more points that way and you get to keep shooting.

:D

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
So my advice is (and you can quote me on this) hit the balls into the back of the pocket, not into the rails. You score more points that way and you get to keep shooting.

Well you are in good company on that advice since that's what Mosconi always told people... Don't miss!

Thanks.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I tend to get out of line on either the key ball or the break ball. Usually I get to the break ball and miss it or scratch. Although the run ends on that shot, more times than not I could look back 3 or 4 shots in the last rack and pinpoint my error to a careless shot or careless position route - or by waiting to deal with a cluster too late - its usually something along those lines, or I just do something painfully human ....

like MISSING.

:p

:D

You really need to get your sig line back, and now.
MULLY

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
mullyman said:
You really need to get your sig line back, and now.
MULLY

Signature changed to this -

"If Blackjack's knowledge was worth anything, he wouldn't be giving it away for free on the internet. He gives it away for free because he knows it's not worth anything. What has he ever done with any of it? He has nothing to show for it, so who would you rather learn from?" - A Nutless Loser

I'm just letting the person that said this know that it got back to me.

My decision still stands.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
He has nothing to show for it, so who would you rather learn from?"

I'd say that running over 200 balls is something to show for it. I hope you don't let this kind of comment deter you from sharing your knowledge. You must be doing something right.

Bluesteel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White said:
Well you are in good company on that advice since that's what Mosconi always told people... Don't miss!

Thanks.

The gentleman I referred to in my earlier post told me a story about the last time he played Mosconi. He had run 140 in the match and missed the break ball...Mosconi got out of his chair and said "Sit down son, you just lost" and proceeded to run 200. Then turned and said, "Now that that is over, let's do the exhibition"

Mark

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Signature changed to this -

"If Blackjack's knowledge was worth anything, he wouldn't be giving it away for free on the internet. He gives it away for free because he knows it's not worth anything. What has he ever done with any of it? He has nothing to show for it, so who would you rather learn from?" - A Nutless Loser

I'm just letting the person that said this know that it got back to me.

My decision still stands.

I think it is a good decision. You've given a lot to us 'ball-bangers' for free and I, for one, appreciate it very much.

Yet, I think non-profit organizations (free advice on AZ for example) have a level of problems that for-profit organizations don't have to deal with. Profits give the organization resources to market their messages better and towards more favorable clients. This is good for all who really care about it. It tends to weed out the parasites and trouble-makers, imho.

I remember reading in the pool mags in the 80s about your skills, David. One mouthy ignoramus on AZ can't change that. You have walked the road and what you say has meaning and purpose....so you can charge for that expericence and may you have many clients that pay. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Live long and prosper,

Jeff Livingston

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bluesteel said:
The gentleman I referred to in my earlier post told me a story about the last time he played Mosconi. He had run 140 in the match and missed the break ball...Mosconi got out of his chair and said "Sit down son, you just lost" and proceeded to run 200. Then turned and said, "Now that that is over, let's do the exhibition"

Mark

Great story!

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understand the frustration on not being able to put runs together. I would suggest learning the patterns and taking some lessons from someone who knows the game well. You might be struggling because of not knowing the game and playing to many tuff shots. As you probably know the reasone the game looks so easy when it's played right is because these guys know the patterns and the right way to run the balls. Watch alot of accu-sats Videos and talk to better players for tips and I am sure you will run a 100 before you know it. Good Luck

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Sire 380 - Your trying too hard, don't focus so much on what the pro's are doing, you have no idea (maybe you do) what some of us have sacrificed so that we were able to improve. The reason for our desire to put everything else aside was a combination of the right elements, if all your doing is practicing then go figure. You must become a student of the game, some people are motivated by gambling and ego while others focus more on instructional tapes. The trick is to practice like your gambling and keep a quite mind ( easier typed than done.) There are many great 14.1 dvd's available - Dallas West, Jim Rempe, and Ray Martin just to name a few. If you have not exlpored this learning option then your plea is without merit, please don't take this the wrong way I wish you all the success but it's not my first rodeo. Ohh and also I believe anyone can accomplish whatever they set their mind to but keep in mind heart, perserverence, and talent will not get it, even though these are great tools to have in your arsenal. It's the people that study all aspects of the game that end up having fun and as a result get lost in the land of being in stroke. If your rich come to MO and I will make a player out of you ha ha just kidn' - focus on YOUR game and having fun while learning at the same time not the mind chatter of ball count. DON'T BE SO HIGH RUN GOAL ORIENTED. If you live near MO PM me and I would be happy to work with you.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman

Last edited:

kentw

Banned
danny that was a nice thing to post and try to help that is great to see and even offer to show this guy some things we need more pro players with that attitude .

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Danny Harriman said:
Sire 380 - Your trying too hard, don't focus so much on what the pro's are doing, you have no idea (maybe you do) what some of us have sacrificed so that we were able to improve. The reason for our desire to put everything else aside was a combination of the right elements, if all your doing is practicing then go figure. You must become a student of the game, some people are motivated by gambling and ego while others focus more on instructional tapes. The trick is to practice like your gambling and keep a quite mind ( easier typed than done.) There are many great 14.1 dvd's available - Dallas West, Jim Rempe, and Ray Martin just to name a few. If you have not exlpored this learning option then your plea is without merit, please don't take this the wrong way I wish you all the success but it's not my first rodeo. Ohh and also I believe anyone can accomplish whatever they set their mind to but keep in mind heart, perserverence, and talent will not get it, even though these are great tools to have in your arsenal. It's the people that study all aspects of the game that end up having fun and as a result get lost in the land of being in stroke. If your rich come to MO and I will make a player out of you ha ha just kidn' - focus on YOUR game and having fun while learning at the same time not the mind chatter of ball count. DON'T BE SO HIGH RUN GOAL ORIENTED. If you live near MO PM me and I would be happy to work with you.
Sincerely, Danny Harriman

Awesome post, Danny! Like Danny said, you have to be a student and study all aspects of the game. Great shotmaking skills will only take you so far. In 14.1, you have to know how to get yourself out of bad situations as well as how to create good situations for yourself. Personally, I cannot wait to watch your dvd, Danny!

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Awesome post, Danny! Like Danny said, you have to be a student and study all aspects of the game. Great shotmaking skills will only take you so far. In 14.1, you have to know how to get yourself out of bad situations as well as how to create good situations for yourself. Personally, I cannot wait to watch your dvd, Danny!

I agree Blackjack, GREAT to have Danny posting again! I hit him up with good rep like I suspect you and others did as well. His green line looks like a garden hose already after only a few posts! :D And good for him! I wish more pros were like him, Billy, John Schmidt, Larry Nevel, etc and would decide to post here. And I wish Grady posted more often.

Danny, thanks a lot for your contributions here. I hope you never give up.
Whether you realize it or not, you guys are VERY appreciated here!