how are ya'll doing in league ?

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Another myth about Vegas and also a reference to the LO having a say. I won some minis as an SL8 in Vegas but was only a listed SL 7. I never got raised to an 8 for that. I’ve been told that once you win playing as a higher skill that’s what your new handicap is going to lock in as. When I asked the LO why I wasn’t an 8 after Vegas he said I gotta earn it. Pretty much saying I have to play like that in league or I won’t get it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Actually this isn’t true.
Which part...? My use of the word 'go'..? I believe we're splitting hairs. My post uses Vegas as an example wherein if you attend and compete, then your handicap will be locked as a minimum. This is true by all accounts I've been exposed to. I'm not saying your SL can't shift downward during the Vegas event. Just that once you've competed there, your SL is a locked minimum.

Once again, I know nothing about how St. Louis handles anything.
Plus what a lot of players don’t realize is the APA talks to your LO after the tournament about their player handicaps that went up.
An absolute statement. More likely that the APA 'may' speak to your LO. I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to leagues, but I doubt the APA makes it a mission to proactively deal with every potential hurt feelings report that could be raised player.
Or maybe your LO can talk to them. Either way an LO does have a say in handicap lock ins in some way, shape, or form.
I'm sure the LOs have contact info for head office. I've also been lead to believe that LOs can lobby the mothership to have SLs altered. Not sure if that's a reality or not. I've never heard of a successful head office driven SL change at the request of a LO. Safe to assume that the LOs in my regions just blow smoke about their efforts in an attempt to play the "good guy" / "victim" card.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Which part...? My use of the word 'go'..? I believe we're splitting hairs. My post uses Vegas as an example wherein if you attend and compete, then your handicap will be locked as a minimum. This is true by all accounts I've been exposed to. I'm not saying your SL can't shift downward during the Vegas event. Just that once you've competed there, your SL is a locked minimum.

Once again, I know nothing about how St. Louis handles anything.

An absolute statement. More likely that the APA 'may' speak to your LO. I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to leagues, but I doubt the APA makes it a mission to proactively deal with every potential hurt feelings report that could be raised player.

I'm sure the LOs have contact info for head office. I've also been lead to believe that LOs can lobby the mothership to have SLs altered. Not sure if that's a reality or not. I've never heard of a successful head office driven SL change at the request of a LO. Safe to assume that the LOs in my regions just blow smoke about their efforts in an attempt to play the "good guy" / "victim" card.
Sorry JV. I did read Vegas incorrectly. Not sure if St Louis raises people in team format before the tournament. They do in singles.

Now I’m feeling tension. In the team format. Maybe other LO’s do it different. But I’m so used to having the citywide event here with about 6-8 rounds to get to Vegas. Our LO raises people constantly in that. If a 3 crushes another 3 they are almost automatically a 4 the next round. Based on just the 1 match. They’d probably have to lose the next 2/3 to go back down to a 3. In the citywide you can’t have more than 2 players go up 2 points or your team is disqualified. This makes it real hard for almost any player to go up 2 in Vegas with so many already being raised at citywide.

Anyway. With a good team captain no player should ever feel the need to up their handicap before Vegas. Their captain just needs to plan it right and throw them against a player they have only a small chance to beat every once in a while. Like throw them against the super 7. As a captain you have to sacrifice your players occasionally as does any commander in a “war”. Thats actually what I have to do the last two weeks in league. Try to keep people at their handicaps.

I want everyone to play their best all the time. So instead of sandbagging, we have a couple 3’s on the verge of getting the 4 tag and they are gonna have it rough the final 2 weeks😉😉(and they don’t even know it).

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
And as I’m reading it now maybe there is a bit of wiggle room to go up 2 SL if you get to the later rounds. If you go up 2 in 2 rounds maybe team would be disqualified but if you play 6 rounds there would be a solid argument for your team to not be DQ’d. The way I’ve always looked at it is if your team keeps winning obviously people are going to have to go up. There’s almost no way around this.

It was funny. Kim who is an SL 3 made a draw shot against another 3 in the regionals last month and her opponent made a huge deal that a 3 shouldn’t be able to draw like that. It was like a 6” draw shot. And what she’s been working on lately. LO watched her whole next match. People are petty. Even moreso in Vegas. That guy would’ve been kicked out of the hall or laughed at 20yrs ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4330.png
    IMG_4330.png
    259.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4331.png
    IMG_4331.png
    237.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Rusty in Montana

Our pool league seasons are nearing the end , I'm down to the town league for 3 more weeks if I remember correctly .
Tonight I made a 8 ball on the break without scratching and knocked the cue ball off the table when I broke the last time , over all I won all 4 of my games sadly my teammates all suffered severely , they use pool as a reason to drink beer which is fine , I'll stick to either water or a Dr Pepper ha ha

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I redeemed myself for my performance at 8-ball on Tuesday, last night at 9-ball I pulled off a 17-3 win against a pretty good SL5. He and I usually have good matches, and they usually are fairly close, neither of us winning more than the other. He simply had a bad night, and I had a pretty good night for me. He's a gentleman, and it's always fun to play him regardless of the outcome, and he was very classy about the beating last night as well. It was my night, last night, next time may very well be different.

(I'll take it! ;) )

Rusty in Montana

My teammates and I finished up the town pool league tonight , I won 3 of my 4 games one game I made the 8 on the break without scratching my opponent wasn't to happy about it but what do you do .
My only loss was I rattled the pocket with the 8 ball leaving her two easy shots and the 8 close to a pocket as well .
I'll miss next weeks banquet and awards ceremony and even the year end tournament since i got a call to work the Billings PBR tour event guaranteed money is always a good thing !

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Here’s one I’ve never seen before. They played a 7 and an 8 and couldn’t make the 23 with any of their other players. Anybody seen this before?
1712546155700.png

Last edited:

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s one I’ve never seen before. They played a 7 and an 8 and couldn’t make the 23 with any of their other players. Anybody seen this before?
The app will prevent you from making that mistake but only on the last match. My team accidentally exceeded 23 when the app was new, before it had that feature. No one of the team caught it until we had negative points the following week.

Mistakes happen, but when you're putting up two high players, you should really double check your math. We triple check so we don't make this mistake again. 😅

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
The app will prevent you from making that mistake but only on the last match. My team accidentally exceeded 23 when the app was new, before it had that feature. No one of the team caught it until we had negative points the following week.

Mistakes happen, but when you're putting up two high players, you should really double check your math. We triple check so we don't make this mistake again. 😅
So we get bonus points when a team screws up like that? If so. The best part was their 7 lost (19-1) and their 8 lost (14-6). They both needed 2 games and had to play.
So both lost pretty bad and it puts us out of first by 6 points going to final week. We are first in 8 ball. It’s been a great session.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So we get bonus points when a team screws up like that? If so. The best part was their 7 lost (19-1) and their 8 lost (14-6). They both needed 2 games and had to play.
So both lost pretty bad and it puts us out of first by 6 points going to final week. We are first in 8 ball. It’s been a great session.
I don't play 9b so I'm not sure about the bonus points, but that's certainly what it looks like.

Nice job, keep up the winning season 👍

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Our team pulled it off. I told them Tuesday we needed at least 7 to stay in first. Our first 2 players 3-0’d then next 2 lost bad. I had to go in there and get that last point. I was playing like crap, but threw up like 12 safeties to wear down the other guy and get to the hill. He won the battle in the end.
We ended up taking first by 1 point. That 7 calculation was spot on

9 ball was even more intense. We were in 2nd and needed to make up 6 points. It really was a bad day for me. I was hung over bad from the night before. No excuses though. I lost 13-7. Everybody else played great and won. Gave us 66 for the day. And the team that had a lead on us shit the bed with only 50. But the crazy part was 3rd place beat up their opponents pretty bad too. So, We had to wait for the stats to update. Our team took first by 1 point in 9ball. 3rd place moved to 2nd.

First place in both by 1 point. That was a good session and probably the only time we will get 2 first place trophies in one session. So those will have some sentimental value instead of just going in the box with the rest of them…..well they’ll probably still just go in the box. But it was nice killing it one session
Now gotta get ready for citywide.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
We're still in 1st in my Wednesday night CCS (ACS) league. 2nd place has been on a tear for the last few weeks scoring 17 out of a possible 18. They've inched within a few points of us. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up with 5wks to go.

We've kind of fallen into cruise control in Masters. With the way the schedule and byes have shaked out. The regular season is ours to lose at this point. So we 'should' end up 1st overall, but the point in Masters is how you finish in the playoffs. So, the top teams are gearing up for the playoffs next month and the ceiler teams are scrambling hoping to get in.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We're near the bottom in our 8-ball league, so last week, we threw me against the other teams SL7, rather than countering with our own SL7. My opponent was a good friend (who I met here on AZB) and we had a fun match. He beat me, but I did get to the hill, and I had my chances. Alway fun playing with a better player, and not embarrassing myself.

Tonight I played another SL5, and beat him 4-1. Really should have shut him out, but I'll take the W. I had a break and run in practice tonight, as well, which is rare for me, so that felt good, too.

Hoping to continue my reasonably decent play at 9-ball on Thursday.