how are ya'll doing in league ?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I got run over by an all star team who might as well all been level 10 or better tonight

Moving on

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
league play continues when power was out!

Attachments

• 095EA99A-D9E2-4EC0-9478-E3F53787253A.jpeg
    095EA99A-D9E2-4EC0-9478-E3F53787253A.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 168

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
4th place in the team event, BCA World Championships, Vegas!!

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been a crazy few months of 8 ball. My team won tri-cups last December and I finished spring session as a sl-5 and won 80% of my matches. Started the summer session and decided I was going to really try and increase my level of competition by only playing sl-6's that I know are strong shooters (our league does not currently have any sl-7's).

Anyway, the old "playing better competition makes you better" must not apply to me. I started the session 0-6 and got my butt skunked 3 matches in a row. I don't mind losing, but I want to play smart and make the shots I'm supposed to make, and during this losing streak my confidence hit rock bottom. I got dropped to a sl-4.

I decided to quit worrying about trying to play the best shooters from every team. I have won 4 in a row with a couple of break and runs playing sl4's an 5's. Hopefully the ship is righted.

The damnedest part is that during the losing streak, I never played bad except during league matches. Gambling after matches I played pretty sporty. Playing friends at home I played pretty sporty. I shot well during practice each day. This tells me my problem is undoubtedly between the ears. The pressure of playing good shooters who are likely going to run out if you miss once got me all out of whack. Got to continue to work on the mental side of things.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i won 4 outta 5 tonight, got 38 points of a total of 40
just left 1 ball and the 8 all night!
, beat a real good player that usually beats me in the tournaments
it was a good night for me
with my 75 dollar players sneaky pete

If you're finding yourself often losing with 1 of your balls left on the table try adjusting your strategy a little. Especially playing barbox pool.

If you're in a spot where you're not confident you can run out, stop making balls just to continue the run, and eye layout tactically.
Every ball gone from that point is potentially an advantage to your opponent.

Nothing nicer than coming to a table when my opponent just made 6 of his balls and I have a nice wide open table. Even if they're not in the best position to run out. I can still make a ball, hide. Open up a cluster, hide. Death by a thousand cuts until I know with certainty I can win from where i'm at.

This especially helps playing in league, when most players wouldn't know to take a foul or something when they should (at least around here that's the case). If they're hooked, most will try their damndest to not scratch, regardless of the consequences. Very often they will solve your problems for you.

If you haven't seen it, there's a very interesting tactical 8 ball rack between Efren and Busty that took like 18 minutes for just the one game.

You're shooting real good though. We gotta get together again and play some 1p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCLcuLXlEM

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
If you're finding yourself often losing with 1 of your balls left on the table try adjusting your strategy a little. Especially playing barbox pool.

If you're in a spot where you're not confident you can run out, stop making balls just to continue the run, and eye layout tactically.
Every ball gone from that point is potentially an advantage to your opponent.

Nothing nicer than coming to a table when my opponent just made 6 of his balls and I have a nice wide open table. Even if they're not in the best position to run out. I can still make a ball, hide. Open up a cluster, hide. Death by a thousand cuts until I know with certainty I can win from where i'm at.

This especially helps playing in league, when most players wouldn't know to take a foul or something when they should (at least around here that's the case). If they're hooked, most will try their damndest to not scratch, regardless of the consequences. Very often they will solve your problems for you.

If you haven't seen it, there's a very interesting tactical 8 ball rack between Efren and Busty that took like 18 minutes for just the one game.

You're shooting real good though. We gotta get together again and play some 1p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCLcuLXlEM

I need alot of work on the mental side of it
Thanks for the advice nice words and vid I'll watch it for sure
For sure , im ready whenever

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won both of my matches this week. 6-2 in 9 ball and 4-2 in 8 ball. Team won 9 ball 3-2 lost 8 ball 3-2 as well. Was worried at first because I just bought a new (to me) Schon cue. I have been wanting one for years and finally the right stick came along at the right price. I played both of my matches with it even though I had just bought it 20 minutes prior to the matches. So far this session I am 6-2 in 9 ball and 4-1 in 8 ball. 8 ball Titleholders is next weekend and hoping to win that one out after a strong showing (2nd) in the nine ball version. Shoot well all.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Got me a perfect score

40 points all 5 games won
Wearing my own custom azbiilliards shirt
Must be good luck

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Finished the session 5-5. Spent the session yo-yoing between a SL 4 and 5. My stats were overall better than ever...4 Break and Runs with 5 other 0-inning games, and a couple of "rackless" nights. My only losses except one were to Sl 6's. Closed the session out with 5 straight wins over Sl 5's and 6's...off to playoffs to hopefully qualify for tricups! Good luck all.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball titleholders was this weekend. My team sailed through the winner's bracket to take the hot seat. Our opponent was the team we lost to in 9 ball . We lost the first set, but rebounded to win our first trip to nationals. Cant wait, should be really fun.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Faced another 6 in 9 ball friday night. Was a pretty even match until the last 2 rwcks where i finally got a couple good breaks and won 46-36

I hate to bring up this subject cause it shows the seedy side of handicapped leagues. Sandbagging. Now i always like to give players the benefit of doubt concerning qestionable shots because. I am just as guilty as any one else when it comes to having a bad night.

However i saw such blantant sandbagging from a 3 no less that i had to address it with the lo's assistant who was at the hall that night. She said ....you are talking about a 3 . i replied i was well aware of what the scoresheet says she is and i have not only watched every she has played against my team but i have played her myself a couple of times so i am well aware of her skiill level. I also told her that i marked 6 safes on the score sheet for her that were not actual safes per se but obvious misses and as apa rules states....if it aint offense mark defense .

The other team got wind of our conversation by a busy body in the pool room but they never said anything to me. Makes me want to start videoing all our matches in case another incident of blatant sandbagging occurs but i highly doubt they will if they know their match is being videoed for posterity

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
We started playing Masters on Mondays and we won our first match 21-12. I am very excited and I absolutely love this format. Other than slop counting in 8 ball and make it take it on the break the Masters format is really cool. I can see myself playing this for years to come.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
We started playing Masters on Mondays and we won our first match 21-12. I am very excited and I absolutely love this format. Other than slop counting in 8 ball and make it take it on the break the Masters format is really cool. I can see myself playing this for years to come.

You wouldn't be so upbeat about it if you were up in Arlington playing under that league operator. :sorry:

That said...congratulations on your team's (and your) first win. I hope you have many more to come.

And yes, I agree that the Masters formant is cool, with or without the two goofy rules that you mention. I've seen professional 8-ball tournaments where the rule was take-what-you-make on the break. Also, you're not going to see near as much slop in Masters as you would in a handicapped APA league. There will always be some...even the pros slop one in now and then.

What I liked about it the most (besides the non-handicapping and the better level of players) was that you got in a minimum of seven games with the possibility of getting in thirteen games.

Have fun and shoot well!

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hwve not posted recently due to not playing much and did not intend to go to league last night. Had a real.bad day at work compounded by having to work real late also.

I text my co captain about a half hour before starting time .....its a 45 minute drivefor me and said i was not coming . she replied that it was only going to leave 4 players because one was out if town and the other had just text saying he was dropping off the team due to moving . well chit....i jump in the shower and get there an hour late and really not interested in playing

I face a 6/6 in 8 ball and i am a 5/6. He wins the lag and and pounds that rack at warp speed using his team mates revo bk rush. Why i mention the rush will be clear later on.

I win the first rack. He wins the second . crushes the rack with that revo using the second ball break and makes the 8. Does the same thing the 4 rack and is up 3-1 now. Almost makes the 8 the 5 th rack but the 8 stops short of the side pocket it fell in the last 2 racks. Next rack the 8 is headed to the same side pocket but another ball hi its it knocking it away from the pocket. I know people say the 8 on the break is pure luck even using the second ball break so i guess this guy is lucky as heck . i managex to get my act together and win the next 3 racks winning the match 4-4 in a 4-5 race.

I wind up playing the same guy in 9 ball where we are both 6's . he wins the lag and that revo really cqme into play then. He crushes the rack making 3 balls and runs several more. Miscues and leaves me hooked. Wtf ? I managed to make 1 point that rack.

Next rack he makes 3 balls with one of them being the 9.

In the interest ic making this post short he crushed me in 9 ball 46-20 in a 46-46 race. His break was the major factor. Mabe its true what they say about the induan and arrow but he said he never broke like that until he started using his team mates revo. Oh well....better get my 9 ball game straightened out before tri cuos in a few weeks.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lo...I have broken the 8 ball three times in a row several times. If you get an honest opponent that racks a good tight rack it is not uncommon to make about 1/5 using a decent 2nd ball break. Practice though, just like any other shot practicing your break is important.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Filled in for Oberliga two matches, and came away with 1.5 points, and I got 3 individual wins out of four. Oberliga is the highest amateur league level in Germany. People from Oberliga regularly cash at the German championships, even with Thortsten, Ralf, and Filler in the mix.

For perspective, I was playing Landesliga last season, which is two levels lower than Oberliga. I had been somewhat phoning in my performance, as the players simply didn't play strong enough to require me to practice hard.

The Oberliga matches, I played 9 ball/10 ball matches against the same opponent from the other team. Just worked out that way. Scored a combined total of 30 games to my opponent's 18. Races to 9 in 9 ball, races to 7 in 10 ball. Both 10 ball matches followed the same pattern: Had issues adjusting to the table, speed was off, and one opponent lost 7-6 when I reeled him back in from 6-4 ahead, while the other won 7-5. I then murdalized them in 9 ball, 9-3 and 9-4. I have been putting more thought into how my performances in German league corresponds to my Fargorate, as to the best of my knowledge, only Eurotour events are i ncluded, and I haven't played any of them..

So, one of my opponents did have a Fargorate, of 553, and my performance against him was total of 14 games to his 9. I have been around 582 for the last few years, and I believe this might have been purely calculated off one single BCA nationals, my first. Many of the players I beat regularly in Colorado when I was playing more events, have Fargorates northbound of 625. So I feel happy, that my performance in Oberliga so far bears out my feeling that I am slightly underrated in general. And I practice so little, Ihave a nice 50 point cushion or so when I really bear down and pracrice 10+ hours a week.

Oh... and the second day? Josh Filler and his wife Mia were practicing in the away team's pool hall in Darmstadt. I happen to know for a fact Filler lives a good 2 hours from me. He just happened to come through that hall to meet with the German national coach and a few of the national team members.. I really wish I had known what I was looking at, when I saw Filler play for the first time a few months after I got here thre years ago. He had just won the China Open, but absolutely nothing else outside of Europe. I saw him cruising to an easy victory, sliding balls in off the rail, and I basically thought: "Great stroke! Doesn't worry too much about position. Seems to be a natural talent. I wonder how big the pockets were in China?"

And there was zero thought of him making an impact much larger than his China win. To me, he looked like a very good, but very GERMAN player. Let me explain. German players by their nature are very consumed with mechanics, and as such, the average level lf amatwur level player here is much higher than in the U.S. Being focused as they are on having good mechanics... All the players below Oberliga shoot at EVERYTHING, if there is even a chance of position. German players below shortstop level are just really skewed towards aggression, as they enjoy shooting balls, and don't really think about treating every single game of their lives as a percentage play, seeking to evaluate every misposition as an opportunity to evaluate if the runout is still the percentage play.

And that's what I saw in Filler. A player who would shoot at a white flag, and make it a good percentage of the time. But.... Who would lose a few tournaments due to the raw aggression, and have some percentage play beat into his head at a final table. This was just a quick cursory evaluation of a single match. I had no idea that this kid was the real deal, and I was watching his ascendancy. To this day, Filler amazes me in his ability to keep going for those super tough shlts where there is no backdoor safe, live and die by the sword.... And he just comes with it. Has Filler played an event with heart monitors yet?

Filler did win that match, by the way, and the tournament itself. Was either 9, or 10 ball.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like posting is dying down. Had a good run for a while.

I have slowed down on posting myself. I thought i woukd share what hapoened friday night and see if others that may read this post have the same issues.

First the results of my ma tches though. Played 8 ball vs another 5 and won 4-2. Played a 9 in 9 ball and lost 75-45 in a 75-46 race. I played good ...just not good enough lol.

Now to some issues....one happens pretty regularly and have never had the other happen in the 10 years i have been playing apa.

Only 3 out of a 7 player team showed up...pretty regular occurance to be shorthanded almost every week. The other team allowed us a replay which almost every team does...we do have a couple captains that will take a win any way they can.

So we played 3 matches ...the other captain chooses who he wants us to play twice in both 8 and 9 ball...usually the worst player on the team is chosen. Then we forfei ted the last 8 and 9 ball match.

Now being the captain i am responsible for all dues...in years past i have had players offer to help pay for unplayed matches and the people that replayed would offer to pay for their extra matches and i always pitched in. Not this team. ..

So.....i pay for the 2 matches not played...the 2 matches that were replayed....plus the aloha fee. When i was asked if we wanted to make our 8.ball team an aloha team i told the lo yes. When i told the team...they were not interested in paying a 1.50 extra a week for the aloha so i have been paying that 10.00 fee myself every week....for however many months we have been in it. The aloha tourny is this week and i am not sure if every one will show up so i probably wasted a few hundred dollars.

I have been tryinv fof a whole session to get some dedicated players and it seems an impossible task. I have not had very many issues with my sunday team though.

One other thing. I was asked by a friend and former team mate to join his sunday teqm at another venue. Upon hearing who all was on that team it seemed like a stronger teqm than either of mine and i was definitely interested but did not want to give up my sunday team that i hqve been captqin of for 9 years.

Since they start at 6 and we start at 7 we worked out a deal where i play the first match there and then make and then leave and make the 10 minute drive to play with my team. So far it has worked out good.