how are ya'll doing in league ?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I drove to work wendesday. Not doimg it agajn until the roads clear up. The road conditions are bad enough....having to fade the idiots driving like its summertime is what makes it dangerous.
So what you're saying is that Texas isn't the only state that has idiots out on the icy roads? 😞

Maniac

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Tuesday went well for my game. I went into the first game with low expectations of victory, but I played smarter than usual and had a nice four ball run to the eight. My second game was more evenly matched but less successful. I missed a couple of shots I shouldn't have giving him the opening to take me out.

Monday my new 8 ball TAP team started. We hope to have a 9 ball team started soon as well. Half of the team I know and the others are new to me. First impressions are very positive. We won the first match and then I was up. He won the lag and I started tanking. New to the 45 sec time limit between shots I think it got in my head and caused me to rush some shots. Lost badly. After a quick pow wow with the captain, I realized I had plenty of time and started concentrating on the shot not the timer. I got into a better groove and won the match. Two down, then three and four. The night was going great (for us) and we were feeling good.

The last match started great. Our guy broke and mostly ran the table with a great bank on the 8 for the win. Everybody is flying high on our first night. In the next game our guy motioned with his cue for a bank in the side and and made it. The opponent stepped up to him and pointed out he needed to be more clear about what ball and what pocket. Legitimate request, but our guy took offence for some reason. From here things quickly escalated...

1613762158809.png

Next thing you know he is missing more shots. This is the thing, he is a pretty good player, but when he misses too many shots he thinks he shouldn't have he gets in his own head in a bad way. He gets vocal and loud (at himself), stomps a bit and even known to abuse his cue a bit after a bad shot. This all causes him to lose concentration and if not checked dominos to another loss. The opponent picked up on this quickly and started making subtle faces and gestures, all the while making his shots and winning the next couple of games. About to make a bad decision on a critical shot, the captain stepped in to give some advice. Already in a sour disposition we would soon find out he did not appreciate the interruption. Of course he lost the match.

The captain tried to talk to him about it. We are here to have fun and it is just a game, and getting all crazy about it is why he lost. He is normally a nice guy, but occasionally some past demons seen to rise to the surface. Tonight seemed to be the worst. He got madder when we tried to talk to him about it and said he quit as he stormed out of the hall. We all hope not, as he is not normally like this, but we are there to enjoy ourselves and don't want to be the drama team. I guess we'll see next Monday and go from there.

Of course that was the short version, 90% great and last 10% wow.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had some personal stuff come between me and a player on the other team last week. In short, he was a friend, was a horrible husband, getting divorced and is making it ugly. He NEVER wanted to join a Boise team because he didn't want to drive. Now that his ex is on MY team (all three of us were on a team, that's where I met them) he has joined 4 teams, 2 of those in Boise. Well his team played my team so she didn't show up so I couldn't play. When I called him out he started talking about her being on my team and how he wants his sticks back (she called me about pool and she told me she ain't giving his cues back and I said I'm not getting in the middle of it) and I told him I wasn't getting in the middle of it.

On top of that, we have an elderly gentleman on my team who happens to be great friend of mine and I do my best to take care of him. Well, in the early part of my buddies game with a drunk cocky prick my former buddy gets up and slams his foot down 3ft behind my buddie's back right in the middle of his backstroke. That was it, I lost it. Speaking with my co-captain about it yesterday he thought I was going to take the table with me I got up so fast. Anyways, I flew across the room and said "WTF was that", he tried playing it off and that pissed me off more. After a bunch of f bombs he kept denying it and went to put his drink in my face and just as I went to knock it out of his hands his captain got between us. I went and sat down and kept my mouth shut after that.

Then, he's playing his game right next to my table and keeps trying to talk to me. I just looked straight ahead and said, play your game "bob" (not his name). After saying that a few times I asked him what his problem was and he starts denying the stomping the foot thing (again :rolleyes: ) so I just raised my voice again and told him I said my f'n peace and you've denied it, now just f'n drop it". His response was, "so that's how you're going to play it?". I just looked ahead and said "Play your game, bob".

Later, we spoke for a few minutes and I told him, at some point we will get drunk together, but not right now. In the end we'll be good, but there are consequences for your actions and I wasn't letting him off the hook.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other then that it's been good. Me and a couple of guys have actually started our own challenge ladder league that went live this weekend. I started this thread to see if anyone else has been in one so some of the details can be found in that thread.

Well, we went live today. Registration opened last Monday and closed Friday at midnight. We ended up with 81 initial members! We were hoping for 40 but 80 works :)

There's no schedule in this league, you challenge the person above you, so we got the ball rolling today around 6pm with calling the first 40 matches. Most are scheduled and some have even played (three are finished as of right now). Out of 81, I ended up in 4th place and the 5th place guy had to challenge me so still waiting to play my match but looking forward to it.

Here's the website with the rules and the ranked list:

And if you're on FB search for Boise Top of the Trees and join if you want to see what it's about.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I had some personal stuff come between me and a player on the other team last week. In short, he was a friend, was a horrible husband, getting divorced and is making it ugly. He NEVER wanted to join a Boise team because he didn't want to drive. Now that his ex is on MY team (all three of us were on a team, that's where I met them) he has joined 4 teams, 2 of those in Boise. Well his team played my team so she didn't show up so I couldn't play. When I called him out he started talking about her being on my team and how he wants his sticks back (she called me about pool and she told me she ain't giving his cues back and I said I'm not getting in the middle of it) and I told him I wasn't getting in the middle of it.

On top of that, we have an elderly gentleman on my team who happens to be great friend of mine and I do my best to take care of him. Well, in the early part of my buddies game with a drunk cocky prick my former buddy gets up and slams his foot down 3ft behind my buddie's back right in the middle of his backstroke. That was it, I lost it. Speaking with my co-captain about it yesterday he thought I was going to take the table with me I got up so fast. Anyways, I flew across the room and said "WTF was that", he tried playing it off and that pissed me off more. After a bunch of f bombs he kept denying it and went to put his drink in my face and just as I went to knock it out of his hands his captain got between us. I went and sat down and kept my mouth shut after that.

Then, he's playing his game right next to my table and keeps trying to talk to me. I just looked straight ahead and said, play your game "bob" (not his name). After saying that a few times I asked him what his problem was and he starts denying the stomping the foot thing (again :rolleyes: ) so I just raised my voice again and told him I said my f'n peace and you've denied it, now just f'n drop it". His response was, "so that's how you're going to play it?". I just looked ahead and said "Play your game, bob".

Later, we spoke for a few minutes and I told him, at some point we will get drunk together, but not right now. In the end we'll be good, but there are consequences for your actions and I wasn't letting him off the hook.
I hate that some people can take a fun night out playing a wonderful game and turn it into a complete train wreck. Is it my imagination or does that happen in the pool world more so than with other sporting endeavors?

Pool players can be some of the biggest dicks ever. Period.

Maniac (seen his share of it)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate that some people can take a fun night out playing a wonderful game and turn it into a complete train wreck. Is it my imagination or does that happen in the pool world more so than with other sporting endeavors?

Pool players can be some of the biggest dicks ever. Period.

Maniac (seen his share of it)

It's happened to me this bad twice in league, the first time I went through the normal channel and oddly, the guy fully admitted it and we're good now, the second was last week.

League is a bit different though as it shouldn't happen during league, outside of league it shouldn't happen either but it's more widely accepted behavior.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well its back to pretty mundane nights for me after the drama plagued tri cups. Well i do have a new player in our league thats on my watch list. He is a 3 that is not new to apa league but new to our area.

When the other team threw him i threw my worst 3. Yall oughta to pretty familiar with her as much as i have commented on her . so i am keeping score and right off to bat red flags start popping up. His fundamentals were as good as mine ...if not better. I mean everything about his shooting threw red flags. His stroke...his bridge...his command of english and i was jealous of his draw shots.

However ...he was missing a lot of shots....some were obvious and i marked them as safes....if it aint offense...its defense. Some misses were highly suspect but i would not mark a safety solely on suspicion. My player was up by about 15 points when he started getting serious but he wound up losing 25-23.

It just so happened that they only had 4 players and when i threw myself i chose that 3 to replay for them. I just wanted to see what he would do against a 6. I lost 25-26 in a 25-46 race. That dude brought his A game against me. Granted i made a few mistakes due to i couldnt wrap my head around why this guy was rated a 3 and it affected my game somewhat and helped him out some.

I highly doubt what safes he played were marked...which is my biggest pet peeve in apa. Way too many scorekeepers do not pay close attention to what is going on at the table. I see it every night where people are too busy talking...texting...watching the game on tv...getting up and going to the counter for food or drinks and then coming back and ask the opposing scorekeeper what transpired and mark what they have marked. I keep drilling my team mates to mark safes when they keep score...some do...some dont.

I went on to beat their 7 by 3-3 in 8 ball.

So last night i face another 7 in 8 ball. O have faced this guy about 5-6 times and he stomps me 5-0 every time. Last night was no different.

So they threw a 3 against me in 9 ball. Well i havent had much luck againt 3's in 9 ball but last night i managed to win 15-5. Now dont think i am a hypocrite because i took a break from scorekeeping....captain or not...i am not the only one thats going to sit there all night long keeping score when i am not playing. ... and browsed youtube before i played 9 ball.

I came across a video on improving your stroke. One thing that caught me eye was feet placement. This guy recomends your right foot straight in line ...if you are right handed and your left foot parallel with your right foot. He stated thats the way snooker players stand and they are the straightest shooters on the planet. Cant argue with that. So i tried it in my 9 ball match. Seemed awkward as heck at first but i could not argue with the results. It definitely seemed like it straightened out my stroke somewhat and gave me more confidence on trouble shots.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
.It just so happened that they only had 4 players and when i threw myself i chose that 3 to replay for them. I just wanted to see what he would do against a 6. I lost 25-26 in a 25-46 race. That dude brought his A game against me. Granted i made a few mistakes due to i couldnt wrap my head around why this guy was rated a 3 and it affected my game somewhat and helped him out some.
Well.....ya prolly made an honest SL4 out of him.

Maniac

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
My team took 1st place last night with my win and my strategy to get a team mate out of a sticky situation and come out with his own victory

I was called out by someone I keep beating easily,
He tries to play safe, along the short rail, he plays safe, pushes the cueball behind the 8, and I have a hanger in the corner pocket
it's in there good, I didn't wanna kick up table,
So I pulled out my Carom masse skills, full ball masse to miss the 8, knock mine in, NOT scratch, and he dead straight on the 8, wish I could have seen his face when I made the masse.

Came up with a dynamite safe for our team mate, push the 8 ball right up on one of his key out balls, while not freeing it, give him bih, he makes a combo and drops 2 in the corner pocket, leaving him just a kick to the other corner of the table, bih, we got it

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My team took 1st place last night with my win and my strategy to get a team mate out of a sticky situation and come out with his own victory

I was called out by someone I keep beating easily,
He tries to play safe, along the short rail, he plays safe, pushes the cueball behind the 8, and I have a hanger in the corner pocket
it's in there good, I didn't wanna kick up table,
So I pulled out my Carom masse skills, full ball masse to miss the 8, knock mine in, NOT scratch, and he dead straight on the 8, wish I could have seen his face when I made the masse.

Came up with a dynamite safe for our team mate, push the 8 ball right up on one of his key out balls, while not freeing it, give him bih, he makes a combo and drops 2 in the corner pocket, leaving him just a kick to the other corner of the table, bih, we got it

The mental game and proper safes is what brought me from a 7 to a 9 in 9B.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
The mental game and proper safes is what brought me from a 7 to a 9 in 9B.

He even has his last ball tied to the other guys, I called time out, told him to pocket the other guys corner ball that was key to the break out and victory, his only other ball was down table to which there was no way to pocket and break out his last one,
It caught the other guy off guard, he was like, well damn, I needed that one for the break out, I was like that's why I made him shoot it in for you

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It's very satisfying coming up with a game plan while the other guy was on the hill, to not just get us an extra point but win the match in the end for my team mate.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He even has his last ball tied to the other guys, I called time out, told him to pocket the other guys corner ball that was key to the break out and victory, his only other ball was down table to which there was no way to pocket and break out his last one,
It caught the other guy off guard, he was like, well damn, I needed that one for the break out, I was like that's why I made him shoot it in for you

Yep. We were in a match and one of our 3's called a TO, I went up looked at her and said, make that ball. Don't remember specifics but it was similar. By making their ball and giving BIH they were screwed :)

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Some might call me ruthless, others have called me an asshole, but I love intentional strategic fouls, and screwing the opponent whenever I can

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some might call me ruthless, others have called me an asshole, but I love intentional strategic fouls, and screwing the opponent whenever I can

Agreed. One of our players was stuck in jail by either a safety or luck, can't remember, but I do remember he could've hit the CB about 6" and screwed that guys world up but no, our player decides to just pick the damn ball up and give him BIH, I just kept my mouth shut :rolleyes:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I've actually been speaking up and the team agrees with most of my opinions,and making a difference
However
We do have 2 guys that out right refuse time outs, and have no desire to improve or take advice from those that know much more for the benefit of the team, it's coming time for a come to Jesus meeting

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Agreed. One of our players was stuck in jail by either a safety or luck, can't remember, but I do remember he could've hit the CB about 6" and screwed that guys world up but no, our player decides to just pick the damn ball up and give him BIH, I just kept my mouth shut :rolleyes:
I cannot tell you how many times I've seen players pick up the cue ball and hand it over to their opponent without even considering making the table easier for themselves (or harder for their opponent) by moving a ball/balls around first. Then, when they come back to sit down and I explain to them how they should have played it (by improving their odds), they look at me like I was an idiot.

That sh*t drives me crazy!

Maniac (but at least it's a short drive)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot tell you how many times I've seen players pick up the cue ball and hand it over to their opponent without even considering making the table easier for themselves (or harder for their opponent) by moving a ball/balls around first. Then, when they come back to sit down and I explain to them how they should have played it (by improving their odds), they look at me like I was an idiot.

That sh*t drives me crazy!

Maniac (but at least it's a short drive)

I've determined that's one of the differences between a player and banger. Banger's don't care and just go "f it", let them deal with it, a player says "How can I use this to win".

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've actually been speaking up and the team agrees with most of my opinions,and making a difference
However
We do have 2 guys that out right refuse time outs, and have no desire to improve or take advice from those that know much more for the benefit of the team, it's coming time for a come to Jesus meeting

Laughing

We were playing our 9-ball match using 2 tables a couple of weeks back and I was playing a match next to one of my other guys who‘s a 550ish player and gets around the table pretty well. Normally he and I handle any time outs with the rest of the team being significantly lower rated and less experienced. In the middle of my match I hear my 300 player call time out and see him walk up to the other table to “lend a hand” to a guy who could spot him the 6 out and not break a sweat... 😂

TexasShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However
Spot on with my team.