How do you dress or appear at a pool hall?

shooter_Hans

It's a good practice to play and practice in the same clothes.
Having 'pool clothes' is a ritual that adds confidence.
It's unlikely to have much effect, but it still helps.
Look good, feel good. Feel good, play good.
-Deion Sanders

With that said people do and dress how they want. I am a firm believer of dressing well is the way to go especially in a tournament.

If you’re just shooting with friends then it is what makes you comfortable.

I’ve stopped wearing blue jeans all together and wear slacks. If people are afraid to look like old men in pants/slacks then I suggest trying different cuts. It’s more loose and the breathable than jeans. You can pick different colors.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So much to say here (none of which would be productive to the OP's strange sense of topics), people worrying way too much about what others may think of them. I remember a time when people used to dress up to fly, last time I was at the airport I thought it was a homeless convention (or San Francisco)

Ghost of OBC

Khaki chino shorts, cotton sweater, boat shoes, vintage baseball hat, nice watch. Unless I'm paid to be somewhere, I'm not wearing slacks and hard shoes.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
After years of being in bars and around pool tables, gay guys hang out the most with women.

I might have to start dressing like a gay guy. I am afraid to get hit on in NYC by gay guy.

How aggressive are men? Is the risk worth the reward?

Are men really grabby?
If things work out never use an exit for an entrance

Simple .... don't be a slob.

To quote the great NYC cabaret/saloon singer Bobby Short:

"You become what you dress like."
I am a big believer in this, hence why I wear a dress shirt, a vest, tie and fedora when I play with a nice pair of dress pants.

I have taken up Pool to help me overcome a disfiguring disease. I have to cover my arms and legs up as my skin is literally peels off and is very painful. So dressing this way gives me comfort sense and I often get compliments on the way I dress for pool that helps to.build to confidence.

That works for me. But I am no snob. I love the fact you can can choose to come in with t shirts, shorts and sandals if that is what makes you comfy..comfort is key!

I am usually naked. Really throws people off.

Honestly, who cares what they wear to a pool hall anymore than they care on any other day?

Tournament play, I understand there are dress requirements. Which I abide by. Otherwise, I will wear whatever comes out of my drawer first.
Is that a mechanical bridge you have or are you just pleased to see me? 😊

After years of being in bars and around pool tables, gay guys hang out the most with women.

I might have to start dressing like a gay guy. I am afraid to get hit on in NYC by gay guy.

How aggressive are men? Is the risk worth the reward?

Are men really grabby?
You hang out with a lot of gay guys? Having lived in the UK and the US, most gay guys don't prefer hanging out with women, most gay guys, like most straight guys, don't just hit on others because they are dressed like a gay guy ..whatever that means. Your last sentence is bizarre and for someone who was accused of rambling last night, myself, I fail to see in any way how your statements above remotely contribute to your stated research? Am I missing something, here?

Levi’s 513 slim straight jeans, Skechers footwear and short sleeve T shirt, collared short sleeve shirt or a long sleeve
Henley shirt. Shirts are typically LL Bean or Sonoma brand. I wear a watch on my bridge hand but never any rings.
Nice! Smart casual like that works anywhere!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am usually naked. ...
I imagine -- but I'm not sure -- that you are making a joke. A few years ago there was an instructor who posted here who occasionally did lessons in the altogether. He got quite a reputation. Who remembers The Oyster? o_O🦪

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I imagine -- but I'm not sure -- that you are making a joke. A few years ago there was an instructor who posted here who occasionally did lessons in the altogether. He got quite a reputation. Who remembers The Oyster? o_O🦪
Oy! Couple of shrimps short of a barbie that guy

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If I member correctly, Oyster was able to spin whitey in a stationary spot for several hours.