How do you go about determining where and how to break on a table?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Let's assume you're getting a consistent good rack, racked in random order in 9 ball, on a 9 footer.

Do you have a progression you go through to find your sweet break for that table for those conditions?

One obstacle in diagnosing each break is that your head is still down as the wing balls are ricocheting. So, what do you look at first after breaking?

What prompts you to adjust your speed up or down?

Thanks,

Matt
 
I don't have any problem figuring that out anymore. I bought "Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets" and look at every rack. What I see determines where I break from. Well, well worth the money and time to learn. Really nothing to learn, just need to remember. Johnnyt
 
Let's assume you're getting a consistent good rack, racked in random order in 9 ball, on a 9 footer.

Do you have a progression you go through to find your sweet break for that table for those conditions?

One obstacle in diagnosing each break is that your head is still down as the wing balls are ricocheting. So, what do you look at first after breaking?

What prompts you to adjust your speed up or down?

Thanks,

Matt


I have a "spot" that I aim for in the rack. I usually break from 4 positions. In any of those 4, I can stop the CB in the middle of the table after the break.

To find which spot works best I move around if I do not find immediate satisfaction. The first spot I try is I look for spot most people are breaking from. You can tell by the spots/tracks on the table. If not, I start with my favorite spot and adjust accordingly.

Speed.....I adjust based on control of the CB and how easily the balls go in on the break. If they are hitting the pocket, but are getting knocked out because of the speed, I adjust.
 
I agree with Johnnyt, get a copy of Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets, or Charly Bond's book The Great Break Shot.
 
I agree with Johnnyt, get a copy of Joe Tucker's Racking Secrets, or Charly Bond's book The Great Break Shot.

I do need to watch that DVD.

However, practically speaking, in loser racks, people don't usually get up over the rack and read it. I find it a bit... distasteful and not within the spirit of the game. That's just me. I absolutely do watch the racker closely to ensure balls don't roll off and no pattern is made. But I don't often get over the rack.

In Racking Secrets does Joe cover how and where to break from outside of the context of reading the rack?
 
call it the professional thing to do

I do need to watch that DVD.

However, practically speaking, in loser racks, people don't usually get up over the rack and read it. I find it a bit... distasteful and not within the spirit of the game. That's just me. I absolutely do watch the racker closely to ensure balls don't roll off and no pattern is made. But I don't often get over the rack.

In Racking Secrets does Joe cover how and where to break from outside of the context of reading the rack?


Not looking at racks goes a long way towards negating anything you learn from earlier breaks. No gaps, gaps in one place, gaps in another, make things totally different. When people ask why I am looking at the rack I usually tell them I am looking for gaps to take advantage of. That is true but it makes for much more careful racking for me afterwards. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Another option when they ask what you are looking for is to make a joke. "Damned if I know what I am looking for. I see the pro's look so I'm looking too!"

Generally speaking I break into the strong side of the rack. I have no way of knowing which is the strong side without looking at the rack from above. I think the first thing you have to do is get over the idea that there is something wrong with reading the rack if you want to improve your breaks. Without looking at racks all I can say is try the standard edge of table break, the corner of the box, and one-half to one ball off center, both sides. That is six places to try so if you are playing in a tournament before you learn anything the match may be over. Also, back to what I said earlier, even if you broke from the right place it might not have worked because of gaps in the rack. You can't evaluate your break spot properly without knowing what you are hitting.

Hu
 
Not looking at racks goes a long way towards negating anything you learn from earlier breaks. No gaps, gaps in one place, gaps in another, make things totally different. When people ask why I am looking at the rack I usually tell them I am looking for gaps to take advantage of. That is true but it makes for much more careful racking for me afterwards. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Another option when they ask what you are looking for is to make a joke. "Damned if I know what I am looking for. I see the pro's look so I'm looking too!"

Generally speaking I break into the strong side of the rack. I have no way of knowing which is the strong side without looking at the rack from above. I think the first thing you have to do is get over the idea that there is something wrong with reading the rack if you want to improve your breaks. Without looking at racks all I can say is try the standard edge of table break, the corner of the box, and one-half to one ball off center, both sides. That is six places to try so if you are playing in a tournament before you learn anything the match may be over. Also, back to what I said earlier, even if you broke from the right place it might not have worked because of gaps in the rack. You can't evaluate your break spot properly without knowing what you are hitting.

Hu


How many players look microscopically at every rack though?

I will take your advice and check in the beginning of a match, and here and there as well.

Thanks,

KK9 <-- will just have to take more baths
 
watch the pro's

How many players look microscopically at every rack though?

I will take your advice and check in the beginning of a match, and here and there as well.

Thanks,

KK9 <-- will just have to take more baths


Many of the pro's do go over a rack very carefully before every break even with a neutral racker. You can be sure many will with the other player racking. Most pro's know how to rig a rack for good or harm and some will get a little creative when money is on the line. However, it doesn't matter if the lack of a perfect rack is deliberate or an error, it matters. It's even important to know you are hitting a perfect rack. Look for gaps, twist, high or low, even sometimes to one side. Any gap matters but if it is thicker than my thumbnail I am going to give it most serious consideration.

I give my very best effort to give someone a fair rack, no gaps, twists, or other errors. I never mind them looking it over and if I give them something to use I figure that was just my mistake. I'm pretty sure I gave Johnny Archer the money ball on the break in the first game of a money match. I effectively gave Johnny a game on the wire. What a dummy move that was!

Hu
 
I do need to watch that DVD.

However, practically speaking, in loser racks, people don't usually get up over the rack and read it. I find it a bit... distasteful and not within the spirit of the game. That's just me. I absolutely do watch the racker closely to ensure balls don't roll off and no pattern is made. But I don't often get over the rack.

In Racking Secrets does Joe cover how and where to break from outside of the context of reading the rack?
Yes he covers that. Johnnyt
 
Nine ball break

For nine ball here is my system.

To make the corner ball- Start on one of the side rails and break. Hit a medium hard stop shot into the one ball. Watch the corner ball on the same side of the rack. If it goes high you need to break harder or cut break. If it goes low you need to break softer or move more toward the center of the table. If it is not even close then the rack is not tight and/or you need to switch to the other side. If it is break from the box break as far from center as possible. Do a cut break, more cut to make the ball go lower, less cut to make the corner ball go higher.

To make the one ball-Break from the side rail. If the one ball goes high you need more draw, less top. If the one ball goes low you need less draw, more top.

All this is assuming a consistent rack and a consistant stroke. If you stroke differently the cue ball may be more or less in the air when it hits the rack which will change the effect on the rack.
 
I find it a bit... distasteful and not within the spirit of the game. That's just me. I absolutely do watch the racker closely to ensure balls don't roll off and no pattern is made. But I don't often get over the rack.

If you're not reading the rack, you're giving up games unnecessarily. Maybe you need to reconsider why you find it distasteful? Do you think it's distasteful and not within the spirit of the game to check alignment of a kiss shot or a combination to see if it's on or not? Breaking is one big complicated combination kiss shot, and to shoot it most effectively requires a fair bit of knowledge combined with taking a look at rack alignment and where the gaps are.

Unless you're playing with brand new well-matched tournament balls, worn balls won't all be exactly the same size and gaps are frequently unavoidable regardless of the racker's intentions. Also, the cheap racks found in most pool halls are often not perfectly symmetrical, and which part of the triangle you use can make a difference whether the balls will freeze together or not. Divots banged into the cloth from slightly different rack locations can cause balls to settle into spots where they don't touch the second the rack is removed. It's not uncommon to even see different sized balls from different sets mixed together in many rooms I've been to! There are just too many reasons to look that have nothing to do with bad intentions, so nobody's feelings should be hurt by it.

Robert
 
When I come up to the table (please note I prefer 14.1 to 9) to break in 8 or 9 I look for the spot well worn on the table. (Typically that is about a ball's width from the side rails.) I start there (because if 'everyone' is breaking from there, there must be a reason).

If I am 'loosing' the cue ball, I will move from that spot closer to the spot.

Now, on a 'clean' table (no wear marks) I start 1/2 way between the spot and rail and see how I do. If I make nothing, next time I move closer to the rail (about a ball width or so) and try again.
 
Ahhh F it then

If you're not reading the rack, you're giving up games unnecessarily. Maybe you need to reconsider why you find it distasteful? ...snip...Robert


Some people either take offense to having their racks examined or think you're overly anal. You know what? F it. That's their problem, and I shouldn't make it mine.

So many here have said I'm giving away an advantage by not checking racks and not employing the knowledge chiefly found in Racking Secrets. I now have Racking Secrets and am going to go to town on it.

Thanks to all that gave input! :thumbup:
 
Back
Top