How do you play this rack?

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
Curiosity question.....start tape at about 7:30 to view layout in question, you'll have about 40 seconds to decide. Keep in mind, friendly game, no $$ on the line.
Did you play it in your head the same as the shooter did?

http://youtu.be/kX6-o5zEE2c

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the whole analysis boils down to how he played the 1. I wouldn't have played the 1 that way, that's certain. But, you can't argue with it since he does make it and get dead perfect on the 2. In my opinion, there are better options but I think the best is to play safe. I don't like the idea of banking a ball, weaving through traffic for a ball I need good shape on.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
If the one goes by the 8, then I'd of cut it, otherwise I'd of shot a bank. Just screwing around, so wouldn't of played safe unless I was tired of racking.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm seeing the angle wrong, but am I the only one that shoots the 7 differently? Looked straight enough to just pull it back a few inches and play the 8 in the same hole.

JoeyM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If trying to run out, I would have tried it the same way. Typically I would have played safe from there.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curiosity question.....start tape at about 7:30 to view layout in question, you'll have about 40 seconds to decide. Keep in mind, friendly game, no $$ on the line.
Did you play it in your head the same as the shooter did?

http://youtu.be/kX6-o5zEE2c

I just saw the layout. I haven't watched the end. I haven't looked at other posts. Here is a youtube tip for you: When you click on "share", it pops up a link you can copy. Below that link is a little box that says "start at:" with a time beside it. This way, you just pause the video where you want it to start, click start at, and then copy the link. Then when someone clicks on your link, it goes directly to the spot you want.

So let's see...ah yes table 1 (2?) at Busters. Nice enough place, but every table is totally different, and some of those Olhausens have the largest pockets I have ever seen! Lol. Anyway, here is my plan:

1) Cut the one in the side. Hit it thin, roll it with slight inside english so I go to the bottom rail and back up between the 9 and 2.

2) Shoot a stop shot on the 2. Roll the 3 in the right side so I get relatively straight in on the 4

3) Shoot the 4 in the bottom left, drawing back for a slight angle on the 6.

4) Ideally roll the 6 in the top left, go to the bottom rail and straight back to the center of the table.

5) Slight draw on the 7, go to the side rail and out. Same exact shot on the 8. ( in the bottom left. Depending how I get on the 7, I might elect to get straighter on the 8 and roll it in, getting on the 9 in the side.

Now I'll watch it...

And...just realized that I thought the 5 ball was the 1 ball, and somehow I totally disregarded the 1 ball lol. I can say I definitely would not have gone for that bank on the 1 ball. I think it was significantly higher percentage to glue the cue ball to the back of the 5, and bank the 1 down table. Even just banking the one 2 rails to the bottom and behind the 3-4-9 seemed higher percentage. Kinda hard to believe the route on the bank to the bottom rail, then between the 3 and 9 to the top rail and back out was completely intended. Once you got on the rail side of the 2 ball, I more or less would have played the rest as you did. However, I would have shot the 6 with outside english, to guarantee an angle on the 7, and also to get a bit closer. You got pretty straight and far away, but hit the 7 good.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm seeing the angle wrong, but am I the only one that shoots the 7 differently? Looked straight enough to just pull it back a few inches and play the 8 in the same hole.

I probably would have drawn back there as well.

KMRUNOUT

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone use the rest that badly but play it as well as he did there...

I play the 1 in the side 100/100. I hit it firm..ish and come over for the 2.the rest I play the same with the exception of the 7. I draw back all day long.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For fun, I shoot everything in the hole.

Most fun we can hav for funsies is the other guy never gets to shoot, gets offended and leaves the table to me me me.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play this rack the same way I woulda 2 years ago when you posted and got responses that you didn't care for.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=351328

I logged on just to give you rep. As soon as the balls stopped rolling after the break, I said "This is the same goddamned rack that idiot posted about ages ago."

Just confirms what I've said about him all along.

Extra kudos to you for putting forth the effort to look for the original thread. The thought crossed my mind, but I doubt I'd have gone to the trouble.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I logged on just to give you rep. As soon as the balls stopped rolling after the break, I said "This is the same goddamned rack that idiot posted about ages ago."

Just confirms what I've said about him all along.

Extra kudos to you for putting forth the effort to look for the original thread. The thought crossed my mind, but I doubt I'd have gone to the trouble.

Scott I like your posts and your logic, but come on that isn't very nice. I did read that old post where he posted that layout before. I obviously agree the bank on the 1 was the wrong shot. Every explanation he gave for why it was a good idea I also disagreed with. I really don't see the need to call him an idiot though. He obviously is interested in pool. Hopefully he will take the advice people have offered here.

KMRUNOUT

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott I like your posts and your logic, but come on that isn't very nice. I did read that old post where he posted that layout before. I obviously agree the bank on the 1 was the wrong shot. Every explanation he gave for why it was a good idea I also disagreed with. I really don't see the need to call him an idiot though. He obviously is interested in pool. Hopefully he will take the advice people have offered here.

KMRUNOUT

I agree. I didn't need to call him an idiot.

David Marcus

Silver Member
I've never seen anyone use the rest that badly but play it as well as he did there...

I play the 1 in the side 100/100. I hit it firm..ish and come over for the 2.the rest I play the same with the exception of the 7. I draw back all day long.

Nice observation...sort of. Take another look, that bridge is actually parts of two cues screwed together and it's the only bridge I use, 90% of the time it's over my shoulder.

David Marcus

Silver Member
"I just saw the layout. I haven't watched the end. I haven't looked at other posts. Here is a youtube tip for you: When you click on "share", it pops up a link you can copy. Below that link is a little box that says "start at:" with a time beside it. This way, you just pause the video where you want it to start, click start at, and then copy the link. Then when someone clicks on your link, it goes directly to the spot you want." KMRUNOUT

Thanks for the posting tip, learn something new everyday!

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Just like to mention that I can't tell from a rack or two exactly how good someone is. The shooter here looks pretty solid to me in that one game. We all have our own little way of doing things. Watch Jose Parica play sometime.

One time I saw a guy from Germany come to the table in a big tournament and blew his first two shots badly and I thought "wow, this guy can't play a lick". He then got up and ran out, and ran 5 more tough racks and I thought "who is this guy?" - turned out he was an older journeyman European pro and shot as straight as could be.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
One time I saw a guy from Germany come to the table in a big tournament and blew his first two shots badly and I thought "wow, this guy can't play a lick". He then got up and ran out, and ran 5 more tough racks and I thought "who is this guy?" - turned out he was an older journeyman European pro and shot as straight as could be.

That's pretty cool.. I had the exact opposite happen to me. At a big open tournament once, I stepped up and nailed a tough jump shot, then followed it up with a massive stroke shot and I could see a crowd start gathering around our table to watch. I pretty much dogged every shot from that point on, and the gallery vanished faster than a fart in a fan factory.

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Pool is where Geometry, Physics and Imagination meet."

The quote you came up with is good but could be a little more accurate and descriptive if a little was added to it.

"Pool is where Geometry, Physics and Imagination and Luck meet."

While there are other games that require as much knowledge and strategy, and actually more physical coordination, I can't think of a game which involves physical coordination, strategy and knowledge, to the extent that pool does, while having so much luck that is present in the vast majority of its games.

It would be so much more enjoyable if there was less luck involved!

But...it is what it is! And...it is still enjoyable!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
That's pretty cool.. I had the exact opposite happen to me. At a big open tournament once, I stepped up and nailed a tough jump shot, then followed it up with a massive stroke shot and I could see a crowd start gathering around our table to watch. I pretty much dogged every shot from that point on, and the gallery vanished faster than a fart in a fan factory.

Wow, they call that a Cam Newton now.