How do you stay focused to win more consistently

BreakNRunner

Registered
I am frustrated with my game as I feel there is a better player trapped in my body, as I am what I will call very inconsistent in my pool game.

I am not a money player, but do like to compete in local tournaments with entry fee, and bar box fee and hate not come home in the black.

Some days I play just two or three steps under pro level, and than all of a sudden I return to the bad habits of a banger.

Miscueing, missing totally easy shots, and just playing like a rookie dumbo ball banger.

I feel my problem is the inability to stay focused upon playing at my personal best level, as I become distracted by many things including all the nonsense that is always going on in my life.

Yes I know that every time I play pool I will not win, but loosing because I am not focused, or make stupid mistakes is totally unacceptable for me.

I am asking those who have over come similar obstacles to maybe offer a hint or two.
 
start playing for $$$ that will sharpen your focus real fast-thats why action improves anyones game. gives you a reason to stay on top of your game,,,,unless you hate $$$$$ ;)
 
Improve your opinion of how you play. This may require practice to make it true. A common de-railing thought (well, for me anyway) in tourneys is "he's supposed to beat me". This simple thought can make you play bad, stupid, fast, etc etc. You have to believe you deserve to win, even against a 'better' player.

"I'm supposed to beat this guy" can be just as bad in many situations...but that's another thread.

-s
 
Diet

what you eat and when in relation to when you play pool has a very large bearing on your game.anywhere from greasy spicey food to simple having milk products will affect your game.some players follow a golfers diet due the mind set of a golfer and pool player being so alike.there are some books such as the Pro Book that gives good info in its mental game chapter.might be worth buying if you are trying to play pool seriously.
 
I started a thread a few weeks back discussing being in a slump. At the time I felt my game was declining. I got some good advice, but mostly it was that any decline in my game at age 40 could be attributed to attitude, fundamentals, playing time and confidence. For me, spending time to refocus on fundamentals helped. After I spent some time reviewing stance/stroke/preshot routine/staying down, I realized that under pressure I was having breakdowns in all of my fundamentals. This led to missing, which in turn damaged my confidence and made me very inconsistent.

I spent a few weeks focusing on fundamentals and building confidence and then two weeks later I snapped off a 2k first prize tourny down here in south florida. (local handicapped event).

Look at the building blocks of your game first and see if you can see flaws there. Video taping a session is very helpful in this. Preshot routine in particular will help you with not rushing a shot and establishing more consistency.
 
I know that it sucks big time when you don't play your best. it is normal. it's just one of those days that playin ain't gonna make things better for you, especially when the rolls are not on your side. if that happens, pack your things immediately and go somewhere and do something else. it would be a waste of time playing pool when you know that you're not in the right mindset and playing sucky would just add up to your frustrations. ;)

Now, as for the question how do I stay focused to win more consistently?

I would rather say perform better. because even if you're focused, that doesn't necessarily make you win consistently. I mean you can win a lot, but not all. so here are some pointers.

random order
1. try playing some money games or anything that involves a bet.
2. try to give more time practicing on the fundamentals alone. if you believe that your skills are now that good or ready for some action, get somebody to play and practice what you had learned regularly.
3. don't play when you don't feel lucky or good. never play when you are mentally disturbed ( not crazy, ok?). distractions take your focus away. most of the time, you will lose.
4. last but not the least, take VIAGRA. that would straighten you up.
 
Last edited:
UWATE hit the nail on the head. Once you have a routine established and have mastered the fundamentals, focus and confidence are simply a byproduct. I do not agree that playing for money will sharpen your focus. This will only lighten your wallet and damage you confidence. Get some help from a certified BCA instuctor.
 
I try to stay away from the wife a few hours before going to play. If I don't, she'll put me on tilt and I can't make a ball. Seriously.
 
After playing enough money games and tournaments I had a revelation that I was going to really take pool seriously and mentally considered myself an "athlete".

I quit drinking and started eating fruits and vegetables. I take Ginko, garlic, multi-vit, echinacea, fish oil pills, beta carotene, vit c and e, and I drink apple cider vinegar every day.

I'm sleeping better now and I have the energy to excersize and my focus is twice as good now. People are constintently mentioning an improvement in my game and people mention a different color in my face.

Pool thusly caused and cured alcoholism for me! Woohoo!
 
mosconiac said:
I try to stay away from the wife a few hours before going to play. If I don't, she'll put me on tilt and I can't make a ball. Seriously.

LMAO :D Sounds like my experience with marriage ;)
 
Luxury said:
After playing enough money games and tournaments I had a revelation that I was going to really take pool seriously and mentally considered myself an "athlete".

I quit drinking and started eating fruits and vegetables. I take Ginko, garlic, multi-vit, echinacea, fish oil pills, beta carotene, vit c and e, and I drink apple cider vinegar every day.

I'm sleeping better now and I have the energy to excersize and my focus is twice as good now. People are constintently mentioning an improvement in my game and people mention a different color in my face.

Pool thusly caused and cured alcoholism for me! Woohoo!

Do you eat any : chicken, fish, pork, steak? Do you juice any vegetables or fruits?
How much did you weigh before you started dieting and how tall are you/how young?
You have more energy for exercising and was wondring if the extra energy came from losing weight or just extra energy from the types of foods you were eating. Congrats on the no drinking.

If you inclined to answer all of the questions I can understand but I was interested in the details of your turn around.

What brand of apple cider vinegar? How much per day?

Thanks!!
JoeyA
 
I have a similar but different problem. When I start in the weekly 9-ball tournaments, assuming I have warmed up sufficiently, I play pretty strong, but I have a hard time keeping it at that level. What usually happens is that after a match or two, I lose focus - I guess that's what it is. I'm not anywhere near tired at that point.

What I need is to be able to maintain my early strong play. Any ideas along that line?
 
I turn on Mr. Hyde and say to myself "You're goin' down punk!!" and repeat that periodically through the match...when I sink the final ball I return to my usual docile self...
 
Saturated Fats said:
I have a similar but different problem. When I start in the weekly 9-ball tournaments, assuming I have warmed up sufficiently, I play pretty strong, but I have a hard time keeping it at that level. What usually happens is that after a match or two, I lose focus - I guess that's what it is. I'm not anywhere near tired at that point.

What I need is to be able to maintain my early strong play. Any ideas along that line?

Sats, I hope you get an anwer to this one - that's me to a "T". I can walk in to the room "cold', and the balls have eyes on them, but after a while, it's a struggle. I might need to find a way to think less about what I'm doing.

Ken
p.s. This is possibly the most times I have seen the word "consistent" spelled correctly on the internet, ever.
 
Craig Fales said:
I turn on Mr. Hyde and say to myself "You're goin' down punk!!" and repeat that periodically through the match...when I sink the final ball I return to my usual docile self...

You know... you might have something there. Whenever someone pulls some kind of stunt on or off the table, contempt gives me the incentive I need to bear down. Also, over the years I've noticed that I finish much better when I'm playing in "away" tournaments, and against people I don't know.

Ken
 
Mental State

Craig Fales said:
I turn on Mr. Hyde and say to myself "You're goin' down punk!!" and repeat that periodically through the match...when I sink the final ball I return to my usual docile self...


You are CORRECTAMUENDO: With that saying "you're goin down punk", you put yourself into another mindset. You went to another level in mental concentration. This puts a heightened focus on what you are trying to accomplish. This tactic works for me too! When I'm on the pool table and something of value is on the line, EVERY opponent is a punk. (for my mental purposes only)
 
BreakNRunner said:
I am frustrated with my game as I feel there is a better player trapped in my body, as I am what I will call very inconsistent in my pool game.

I am not a money player, but do like to compete in local tournaments with entry fee, and bar box fee and hate not come home in the black.

Some days I play just two or three steps under pro level, and than all of a sudden I return to the bad habits of a banger.

Miscueing, missing totally easy shots, and just playing like a rookie dumbo ball banger.

I feel my problem is the inability to stay focused upon playing at my personal best level, as I become distracted by many things including all the nonsense that is always going on in my life.

Yes I know that every time I play pool I will not win, but loosing because I am not focused, or make stupid mistakes is totally unacceptable for me.

I am asking those who have over come similar obstacles to maybe offer a hint or two.

"You will only achieve to the level you see yourself at, NEVER higher."

"You already are living the life you want." => "You already play at the level you want."

Both of these quotes are from a very successful real estate coach, Mike Ferry. They guy is 60 and plays to a scratch handicap in golf. Not to mention he's worth about $200 Million. He's studied success his whole life.

Your post reveals that you have fallen into a comfort zone of mediocrity when it comes to your pool game. Simply put, you have bad nights because you expect to. It's a pattern that's programmed into your mind and if you want to change it, you have to break the programming.

Picture yourself playing great. Imagine your posture, the clarity of your vision when you're on the ball, the vision you have of the path of the CB to the position point. The feeling you have before you pull the trigger. Get that person in your mind. Close your eyes for a minute and picture you there, playing great. Are you smiling? Are you animated? How do you study the table? When it's your turn, do you get out of your chair slowly or quickly? Do you jump up and race to the table because you can't wait for the opportunity to win?

Now, picture yourself playing poorly. Is your posture different? Are your thoughts muddled? Do you look at the table the same way? When it's your turn at the table, do you get out of your chair slowly or quickly? Do you move slowly to the table dreading the possibility that you might miss? Close your eyes and picture yourself.

Now, the mind is programmed by a lot of different things, but two are very important: 1) What your self-talk is. and 2) What you are doing physically.

If you tell yourself "here we go again" resignedly when you miss a shot, you're going to go into a death spiral until all of your worst fear fantasies come true. You'll be disgusted, upset, angry, tired and go home feeling woeful, but you'll also be comfortable because that's what your used to. Your brain is programmed to respond to what you tell it. When you tell it "here we go again" it says okay, run "death spiral" program and it continues.

So how to break it:
First, you've been talking to yourself for years, probably a lot of negative thoughts related to pool (and maybe other things). In fact, probably a lot of it is so bad that if someone else were to talk to you like that, you'd punch them in the mouth. Don't take it from yourself either! So be patient with what I'm going to tell you. If you find yourself going down that path, do the following:

1) Motion can create the emotion - Remember the things you do when you're playing well. The posture, the motions, the expressions and the mannerisms around the table. These are all 'triggers' to top performance. When you start to play bad, do those things. In fact, practice them in front of a mirror if you need to. Keep a 3X5 card in your back pocket and refer to it. Jump out of your chair when your opponent misses if that's what you do. Smile. Jump. Scream. Whatever you do when you're winning. That will derail the "death spiral" programming and put you into "pool domination" program.

2) Control your thoughts - Ask better question. When you ask your brain a question, your brain supplies an answer, that is its job. So ask yourself questions that have useful, productive answers. When you miss, you might be inclined to say "why does this always happen to me?" Your brain, being a good little brain, finds an answer: "Because I suck at pool" and then it goes along making that answer consistent with reality.

Instead of asking a loser question, ask yourself a productive question like "How can I run out from here?" or "How can I make this shot?" or "How can I turn this around?"...you get the picture. Your brain, being a good little brain, will supply the answer for those questions as well and then work to make those answers reality.

As I mentioned, this takes time and considerable discipline on your part, so be vigilant. Start monitoring your self-talk and whenever you catch a loser question, immediately label it as a loser question and demand of yourself that you rephrase it. Then ask the better question of yourself OUT LOUD. When you hear something as well as think it, it's much more powerful.

Try this about everything (not just pool) the next few days and let us know how it turns out.

The above method has transformed my life over the last few years and has taken a bunch of strokes off my golf game and given me much more consistency at pool. It takes constant vigilance though, old habits can be hard to break.

Good luck with everything.

RC

Edited to fix a few typos.
 
Last edited:
JoeyA said:
Do you eat any : chicken, fish, pork, steak? Do you juice any vegetables or fruits?
How much did you weigh before you started dieting and how tall are you/how young?
You have more energy for exercising and was wondring if the extra energy came from losing weight or just extra energy from the types of foods you were eating. Congrats on the no drinking.

If you inclined to answer all of the questions I can understand but I was interested in the details of your turn around.

What brand of apple cider vinegar? How much per day?

Thanks!!
JoeyA

Actually I eat chicken and steaks but only the stuff I make at home or the deli meat I put in the sandwiches I eat at work. But no more greasy fast food or mall food or stuff like that which I used to eat a lot of. I don't juice anything but I do drink v-8 low sodium every day.

I just eat tons of veggies and fruits raw from the produce section. I drink the bragg apple cider vinegar which is way more expensive but my dad recommended it and he is a health guru. I just take a big swig of the apple cider vinegar about 3 times a day. I can afford all the produce and vitamins n stuff now that I seem to have an endless supply of money since I quit drinking every day. (I still have a glass of red wine about once a month.)

I have always been about 6feet tall and about 190 and didn't really need to lose weight but I've lost 5 lbs since I quit drinking and I really believe the extra energy is from the better diet and also since drinking makes your sleep not as deep.

Once you start excersizing you have more and more energy. Just start off real easy. I started doing pushups at work! Oh yeah I'm only 32 years old so this was all really easy.

Hope these answers all your questions. One of the top players in the state of Wa. kept beating me for the cash and mentioned that he doesn't drink and eats fruits and veggies and not the bar food. That's all I needed to hear.
 
sixpack's post lists virtually EVERYTHING I did during the huge leap forward my game took a few years ago, when I had practice time.

I refused to think any negative thoughts while within 10 feet of a pool table. I absolutely believed I was supposed to win, no matter who my opponent was.

I truly convinced myself I could, and WOULD win, no matter how many games I was down, and no matter who my opponent was. I just wanted ONE return trip to the table if my opponent was playing, and if I was the one at the table, I truly believed my opponent truly messed up by letting me back to the table.

Thought processes and self confidence is the one of the very very few things that separates champions and shortstops, IMHO.

Russ
 
Back
Top