How Good Could Country Calvin Play???

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen him play very well!! Has anyone else seen him in high gear?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Country Calvin,This is the same fella we called Arkansas Calvin back in the 70s

I played him with the 6 and the break at Times square,I think he gave me the 6 thru at 9 ball
and I won

Years later i ran into him at Clicks in Dallas,he had lost again so i gave him a few hundred to get
back home,we ran into each other in the parking lot

Next time I saw him.he called to me and returned my money,if i am not mistaken these are the only times I
bumped into him

I don't think he was a really good player,under Little Al,Lizard, etc,but then again I barely knew him.

He seemed like a nice person,way better than the average pool hustler.,honorable and kind.

Am I to suppose that he is no longer with us?

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Country Calvin,This is the same fella we called Arkansas Calvin back in the 70s

I played him with the 6 and the break at Times square,I think he gave me the 6 thru at 9 ball
and I won

Years later i ran into him at Clicks in Dallas,he had lost again so i gave him a few hundred to get
back home,we ran into each other in the parking lot

Next time I saw him.he called to me and returned my money,if i am not mistaken these are the only times I
bumped into him

I don't think he was a really good player,under Little Al,Lizard, etc,but then again I barely knew him.

He seemed like a nice person,way better than the average pool hustler.,honorable and kind.

Am I to suppose that he is no longer with us?

Lizard, haven't heard his name in a long while.

Calvin could play, especially with the big rock. Like Dean said though, he was under Al, Lizard, Griffis, etc..
He wasn't just another short stop though, better than that.
As far as I know, he is still with us. Quite the character.
He is from Texarkana. His brother is a member here, and used to post quite often.
First time I ever saw Jack Hines was in Calvin's room, he was beating the ghost like a redheaded stepchild on that triple shimmied 9ft Calvin had in there.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Secondhand

Second hand info, Calvin's brother is very good people also and has been a friend for years. From stories I have heard, pictures and articles I have seen, Calvin was a very respectable shortstop at one time. That means while he could lose, nobody had to like what he could put down on a table sometimes playing even. He won tournaments in very good company.

I don't remember David's handle on here exactly, maybe Catpool9, but I suspect he will be along to speak about Calvin. While age and life have slowed Calvin he still dabs them a bit.

Hu

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lizard, haven't heard his name in a long while.

Calvin could play, especially with the big rock. Like Dean said though, he was under Al, Lizard, Griffis, etc..
He wasn't just another short stop though, better than that.
As far as I know, he is still with us. Quite the character.
He is from Texarkana. His brother is a member here, and used to post quite often.
First time I ever saw Jack Hines was in Calvin's room, he was beating the ghost like a redheaded stepchild on that triple shimmied 9ft Calvin had in there.

Not to hijack the thread but Jack Hines is high on the list - maybe at the top - of players who threw away a lot of talent and a promising career. His biggest opponent was the guy in the mirror.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to hijack the thread but Jack Hines is high on the list - maybe at the top - of players who threw away a lot of talent and a promising career. His biggest opponent was the guy in the mirror.

That is easy to believe but in reality he may have needed a profesional mediacal dignosis which when implemented would have greatly diminished his skills?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Second hand info, Calvin's brother is very good people also and has been a friend for years. From stories I have heard, pictures and articles I have seen, Calvin was a very respectable shortstop at one time. That means while he could lose, nobody had to like what he could put down on a table sometimes playing even. He won tournaments in very good company.

I don't remember David's handle on here exactly, maybe Catpool9, but I suspect he will be along to speak about Calvin. While age and life have slowed Calvin he still dabs them a bit.

Hu

Yes, David posts as catpool9, but quite infrequently (7 times) since 2013.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
That is easy to believe but in reality he may have needed a profesional mediacal dignosis which when implemented would have greatly diminished his skills?

You don't need a doctor to tell you to put the crack pipe down.
Guy could have been a rocket scientist(he had an incredible mind), before the drugs came along.
He also played lights out, before the drugs came along.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy could have been a rocket scientist(he had an incredible mind), before the drugs came along.

The closest thing I can think of from the world of music is a guy named Syd Barrett. They both sped past the point of no return.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is proof that perhaps professional help may have saved him. There is something wrong with a great mind that reasons "crack" is ok.

To get the thread off "Who is Jack Hines", I want to say I went over to Calvin's place in Texarkana and Joe Salazar played him a # of sets. I put up the money but they negotiated the games.
Calvin can def play and that middle table was brutally tight.

JWM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Calvin still in Texarkana, what is the name of his place?

newby9

Registered
Calvin has retired in Hot Springs, Arkansas. His health has declined, but he still plays ocassionally, sometimes with his brother David who lives near by. David doesn't play much, but seems to be doing well, and hits them at an est. 600+ fargo level the few times per year he does get out. I believe Calvin was the Texas state champion a few times in the late 80s, with brackets full of great players.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depended on how good the speed was. You realize the longer your up the better you play.