How I Made My Comsback from under "C" to over "B"

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
As some know on here, I've been playing pool again after a five-year lay-off at 68 years old. At one time I was an "A" player on a bar table and a "B" player on the big table. After two heart attacks and two stokes I didn't think I would ever get back to even "B" again on a bar box. The stroke erased most of my muscle memory, my pool stroke, and my basics. Six months ago when I got my Valley table set up I couldn't run a rack on the 6-ball ghost. I was determined to play at least at "B" speed in six months or take a chainsaw to the table and 50+ years of playing would be over.

This is what I did. I started out buying two books on the basics and a few DVD's on the basics and advanced. After reading the two books and watching the basic DVD's I started from the beginning. I started with the stance, then the shot routine, set-up and aim basics. I found myself doing many things wrong right from the start. I was not turned enough in my stance, letting my stroke arm brush my hip. My stroke didn't follow through most shots. I was shooting way too hard, and on and on.

From starting with the beginning basics five months ago as at best a "C" player, I've got back to "B" and "B+" on a good day when the humidity is low and the table is fast (table on patio in screened patio in FL). I practice about 4 hours a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Now I am happy to say I can beat the 6,7,8, and 9-ball ghost and I am making the 10-ball ghost very close at this time. I figure two more weeks and I'll beat the sucker more than he beats me.

I would advise anyone that's coming back to pool after many years, or new players that can't seem to get out of "D" speed to back up and start from the basics. It really worked for me and I'm sure it will work for many others. Johnnyt
 
Nice post, JohnnyT. Revisting the basics and the theory of the game is always time well spent, and more players should do it.
 
Great to hear of your success Johnnyt and I couldn't agree more on the process you've summarized.

Having been a good player in the past you've been able to get back to where you once were but for the begiinner it's a must to take at least one lesson. Finding out exactly how to get set up for the shot is the key and it's pretty hard to do that without having an expert watch what's going on and make the necessary adjustments.

After taking a lesson with Mark Wilson I had the necessary information to be able to design my own "process" for stepping into the shot and getting properly set. Once that's done then the straight stroke is much easier to create.

Taking at least one lesson will take months or years off the learning and development process. This game is hard enough for a beginner to learn but getting help will make it much easier.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sjm
Great to hear of your success Johnnyt and I couldn't agree more on the process you've summarized.

Having been a good player in the past you've been able to get back to where you once were but for the begiinner it's a must to take at least one lesson. Finding out exactly how to get set up for the shot is the key and it's pretty hard to do that without having an expert watch what's going on and make the necessary adjustments.

After taking a lesson with Mark Wilson I had the necessary information to be able to design my own "process" for stepping into the shot and getting properly set. Once that's done then the straight stroke is much easier to create.

Taking at least one lesson will take months or years off the learning and development process. This game is hard enough for a beginner to learn but getting help will make it much easier.

I agree that lessons will help most everyone. I'm just stubron. In my NY neighborhood in the 1950's you would be laughed at taking lessons, wearing short pants, and holding hands with a girl in public. Damn peer pressure. Johnnyt
 
JohnnyT,

Way to go, you are my inspiration! How many hours of practice would you suggest? Its is better to do 4 hours each day, or 8 hours every other day?
 
Good job old timer

I think you hit the nail right on the head. If you do not have good basics, you won't go very far very fast. Some players look awkward as hell when they shoot, yet they are very good...look at Bustamontes strokes...up and down like he's using a hack saw but I wouldn't think of playing against him for anything more than a coke.

Good advise to relearn or learn the basics if you're new. Lessons would really be the way to go also...gets you out of the gate on the right foot.

I'm glad to hear you can still enjoy the game after so much trama with your health. I used to golf quite a bit...never really good but I enjoyed it a lot. I got runned over by a truck a few years ago, now my bionic elbow don't work right for golf... affected my pool too, but I worked through that. Now I don't (can't) play golf any more.

As someone else said..thanks for the inspiration.

L8R...Ken
 
JohnnyT,

Way to go, you are my inspiration! How many hours of practice would you suggest? Its is better to do 4 hours each day, or 8 hours every other day?

When I first bought the table and started playing again I played too much for me. I found myself playing better in the first few hours and much worse after that. I was also over doing it for my stamia. After a few months I settled for 2 hours in the morning, two hours in the afternoon, and most nights, 1 hour after dinner. I find after 2 hours of drills, the ghost, and some 14.1 I start getting bored. I would think that to each his or her own. If you continue to play well or improve after a few hour and have the time, by all means play longer. Johnnyt
 
attaboy. I can't stand to think of people quitting pool and I'm glad you gave her one more shot. The feeling you get from it isn't like anything else. Pretty sporty shooting for an aarper :)
 
Its is better to do 4 hours each day, or 8 hours every other day?

4 hours each day is the better choice. If your talking about solo practice though, 1-2 hours is best since longer than that it is easy to lose focus and get sloppy. Anything more than that should be spent matching up.

I used to tell my guitar students that I'd rather they practiced 30 minutes a day than 3 1/2 hours once a week.
 
I think practice should last as long as it can be done with strong interest and intent. Anything less than total intent can, I believe, actually be detremental to growth. Bad habits can be learned and ingrained and negative thinking can start to invade the mind. I've learned to never "screw around" at the pool table. Every shot should be taken with full intent to make the shot and to obtain proper position. No non-chalantin at the pool table!
 
Johnnyt,

I agree with you on stamina, for me after 2 hours of drills my eyes start to go. I need a break either just by banging balls, take in a meal or something else, anything. I read that the Pros practice 10-14 hours a day.

Some people have told me that improvement comes in spurts.

When I first bought the table and started playing again I played too much for me. I found myself playing better in the first few hours and much worse after that. I was also over doing it for my stamia. After a few months I settled for 2 hours in the morning, two hours in the afternoon, and most nights, 1 hour after dinner. I find after 2 hours of drills, the ghost, and some 14.1 I start getting bored. I would think that to each his or her own. If you continue to play well or improve after a few hour and have the time, by all means play longer. Johnnyt
 
Back
Top