How long to pick a favorite cue?

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I've only been playing a couple years but I've tried a number of cues and recently I've gone back and forth between 2 different cue manufacturers. They are both great cues and they feel different but I'm realizing I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to which I prefer. I know I prefer a no-wrap cue around 19 oz. but after that it gets a little more difficult. For those of you who've played years...how long before you were sure you'd finally found the exact cue you knew you were going to play with all the time. Ever switch back and forth? Thanks for your input.,

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings all. I've only been playing a couple years but I've tried a number of cues and recently I've gone back and forth between 2 different cue manufacturers. They are both great cues and they feel different but I'm realizing I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to which I prefer. I know I prefer a no-wrap cue around 19 oz. but after that it gets a little more difficult. For those of you who've played years...how long before you were sure you'd finally found the exact cue you knew you were going to play with all the time. Ever switch back and forth? Thanks for your input.,
Not naming names here but i know a guy who changes cues pretty much weekly. ;) Longest i've used one cue is about 6yrs. Switchin is part of the fun of the game to me.

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a different cue almost each time I play. I do have a shaft I prefer so all of my cues have to be the same joint style. I do have a massive amount of shafts that I rotate through with the cues.
I have 25 cues that I play with on a regular basis. Even my snooker cues get rotated when I am playing.

I guess I do have a favorite cue.....
Uhhh no I don’t......
Well I really prefer the ....
Uhhh no I don’t ......
Darn it now which cue do I want to play with??????

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have pretty constant inventory …..
FINALLY realizing
I can play with any good quality cue pretty well-
I think for me,
More of an issue of tip than cue -
Just don't overspend is my only recommendation-
That way ,
if you change cues-
pretty likely to get money out one,
If you decide to re-sell

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 6 favorite cues. Most favorite is a Rich Chudy cue and a Huebler H-11 from the Renaissance catalog in the 80's.
Switch between them often. Hit a few balls and I am good.
You will know when you find an exceptional cue that is for you...And then later on you will find another one.
I can think of a couple cues I still regret selling!!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite cue in regard to the cue I played my best with is a close call between two: one was an old McDermott D-series I bought off a local hustler and put on a 314-2 shaft and Kamui Med Brown tip. I was very graciously sponsored to play in the American Straight Pool Championship while in Midlothian, VA. I played Mike Davis - hit a beautiful break, we volleyed safeties and I beat him to the shot, and I hit him with a 26. I was swaggering around that table like I was going to run 100..and my friends were laughing at my obvious confidence. Mike also looked concerned. Fortunately for him, he was never in any real trouble, LOL. I played a safety for shot 27 and never had another offensive opportunity.

The other cue was a black Predator plane jane. I played in one semi-big 9 ball tournament and beat several former state champions to get to the finals. I had to beat Carey Dunn twice. I won the first set (hitting him with a 3 pack in the middle), but he cut me up in set 2. Yet, for a working stiff I was proud of my play. Another tournament at that time I took 3rd in and I remember it was a sporty tournament and I lost to a champ Danny Mastermaker...but I was still happy.

I don't think it was really the CUES that made me play good. They were a byproduct of the fact I lived behind the pool room for 3 years and played competitively every single day and "learned" how to use each one (how it deflected, felt, etc). You can't help but get a little better. But, that's LONG ago -- and I barely play once a week and can't run 2 balls.

To answer your question. Pick a cue that you can produce with. Which cue do you play better with? Try to get some actual performance data, vs what you think feels good. The proof is in the pudding. Good luck!

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are going to read lots of differing opinions but for what it is worth, here’s my take.
Become better acquainted with the weight cue you like and find out why rather than not.
Some folks will just write stick with what you like but my approach is why did I like that cue.

A starting point is settle on a brand type tip you like the best. Even if that tip was on someone
else’s cue you tried, find out which tip you like the best. That is important in case you ever get
around to replacing your current tip or ordering a cue to be made. Find what you like & stick with it.

The next thing is what weight cue do you like to use? Remember two cues weighing the same
will feel different to you if the butt weights and shaft weights of the two cues vary much. Example:
a 19.25 oz cue that has a 16 oz butt and 3.25 oz shafts would feel different than if the butt had been
15 ozs with shafts weighing 4.25 ozs. Take the time to find out what you like and why and you will
never go wrong getting a cue that comes close to what you like. Personally, it took awhile but 15
years ago I stumbled upon the perfect combination. So I embarked on trying to find cues that matched
my specs. And when I couldn’t, I ordered some custom cues and had the cues built to my specs.

The bottom line line is take the time to experiment with cues and pay attention to the specifications
any cue has that you really enjoying using. As you find other cues, see if the specs remain pretty
close and eventually you will decide what your perfect cue should be. I know what mine is.....do you?

Matt B.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... I'm realizing I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to which I prefer. I know I prefer a no-wrap cue around 19 oz.

If you looking for wrapless cue for under $500, you really can't go wrong with a newer Meucci with his Pro 12.5mm, Ultimate Weapon 11.65mm or carbon fiber shaft. I have 4 of them, and all were purchased in the last 6-8 months. So many great deals and unique designs (some are super tacky, but I like many others) at the budget billiards/budget cues place. Prices for mine are: $360, $415, $650, $650...but they have a wide selection in the $300-$500 range.

...recently I've gone back and forth between 2 different cue manufacturers. [...] Ever switch back and forth?

Every couple of games I will switch cues at home...have over 30 ' known brand' cues.

Starting from ~$100 Players to +$1,200 Schons...it is a lot of fun if you have a home table. I love going back and forth from 11mm skinny LD cues w/ a laminated tip to a 13mm hard maple w/ Triangle...can play well with both and variety is the spice of life. My favorite brands personally are: Mezz, Meucci, Schon & McDermott...although I love my Joss, Lucasis, Vikings and Pechauer too.

However, if you playing mostly at pool halls, then definitely get what you like and stick to it. It would have saved me a lot of money if I knew what I wanted from the get go. It took me almost 3 years to know exactly what I like, because I play by myself unless someone is over.

Regardless of what cue you decide to choose, practice until you are proficient, and make sure you have a good stroke and solid fundamentals at the table. I can't emphasize this last statement enough.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are looking for your first cue,there are a couple of points to remember.

a) no matter how good your intentions are, your first cue will get bruised and dented as you learn how to avoid bruising and denting your cue. You have to develop a situational awareness of the cue and learn how to protect it. Thus, your first cue wi a write off long term.

b) given that the first cue is a write off long term, just buy what your eye likes and what feels good in your hand.

Then when it comes time to buy your second cue, you will have developed a feel for the
a) tip you like..........................Talisman Hard
b) ferrule length you like.........short, light
c) shaft taper...........................european pro
d) joint material.......................wood-wood, Unilok
e) butt design..........................veneered points
f) grip material.........................wood
g) bumper................................rubber
h) balance point......................5.3" from end of butt
i) nose weight..........................nose light
j) weight...................................18.5 oz
k) tip diameter..........................11.2 mm

And at that point you won't need help buying a cue.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played as long as 7 years with 3 different cues. The other ones I used as full time players all lasted me at least 2 years.

When I lock on to a cue that works I stick with it. I’m very weak at changing cues, my game drops huge if I’m using a cue that doesn’t work for me. I’d like to be that guy who can play with anything and play good. I’m 180
Degrees the opposite.

I changed cues some in the late 80’s when the cloth got faster. The old 20.5oz cues were just to heavy. Just had to adapt to the equipment.

Right now I’ve been on the same cue for the past 7-8 years and no intention of changing. It’s working just fine.

Side note, as I played over years and years my taste in cues changed. Weight, taper, balance, length, etc. so to get to where I’m at was a process not a event. Evolution of what cue a person likes is a normal path for most guys. Some guys I know have used only one cue for 40 years. Others use what ever. There’s no right or wrong answer.

Have fun
Fatboy

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Right now my bluegrass is my favorite, top 5 cue all time. My JoeyinCali cue is second. New Josey may end up being a keeper. I’ve owned hundreds, but only a few really stood out.

Scruggs sneakys, James White conversions, and perhaps a old Joss are ones I would buy again.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I'll be the odd guy out here I guess.

I've been using the same cue for about 8 years. Took me a couple months of looking before I bought. I have another nice cue that I pull out about maybe every 6 months, hit about a dozen shots w it and put it away.

To me consistency is King. You get to know your player and how it feels and reacts.

I looked for a cue I liked the looks of that had a good reputation, imo. Turns out I got an all black cue with a couple white rings on it. Simple, I like that. The few other cues I liked that had designs were beyond my price range.

I can now afford to buy a much more expensive cue, but I like the one I got.

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing for about 20 years now and have owned many different cues, from production to custom ordered cues from both respected names and new guys on the block. I've sold all my cues except my Mezz, which I've been playing with for about the last 10 years. I loved it with the WD-700 shaft it came with and the newer version WX-700. I bought the Cuetec Cynergy shaft 2 months ago and I'm loving my cue even more; I took to the new shaft instantly and feel it enhances my game and style of play.

Before I settled on my current cue I would switch cues up around every 6 months to a year, partly because I just love cues in general and also to try and find that "magic bullet" that makes your game jump up a couple levels. While I definitely preferred the feel of some cues over others, I realized that after a certain point I could play the same with just about any cue. I've played with a couple house cues that I shot so well with that I wanted to walk out the door with them lol.

Even if you find your "forever" cue, you'll always have the itch to try/buy something new - it's in our nature as aficionados of the game :wink:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Journey....like women. Once you find the right one. Will it always be her? Or is she like a cue stick, that lasts for 7 yrs.

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Change

Over the years my stoke has changed for the better. I played with SS 5/16 -14 jointed cues up until about 5 yrs ago I now like flat face 3/8-11 or 3/8 - 10 . 20 yrs ago I felt comfortable with 19.3 to 19.5 oz now I like 18.7 to 19.3.