How many Pro level players would you say there are residing in the US?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Why do you keep going on and on with this nonsense? There's probably not a player in the world who can consistently beat the 10 ball ghost that way. Give it a rest already
Jason

if Ed didn't like his standards high, his tables would be pas bon, and not that cream of crop......just glens way.

Dont change now Ed:grin-square: keep your standards right where they are my friend. Im sure they are right where you want them, well ill bet they could be better if you just tried...just a little ;) :thumb:

-Greyghost

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I know Steve Glenn personally, and he wouldnt call himself a Pro by any means. How many of the players you listed could beat the 10 ball ghost with no racking aid and no BIH to start with in a race to 10?

Not very many.
Accustats kept stats of the pros in the PBT 9-ball circuit.
Their break and run-out percentage was around 20% iirc.
They run-out around 85% when they were given ball in hand.

I don't SVB or Dennis would bet playing the 10-ball ghost without getting BIH on the first ball.
Unless they get to shoot no matter what happens after the break.
They would just break softly play shape on the 1-ball.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
if Ed didn't like his standards high, his tables would be pas bon, and not that cream of crop......just glens way.

Dont change now Ed:grin-square: keep your standards right where they are my friend. Im sure they are right where you want them, well ill bet they could be better if you just tried...just a little ;) :thumb:

-Greyghost

Who is Ed?

imagemker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Steve Glenn personally, and he wouldnt call himself a Pro by any means. How many of the players you listed could beat the 10 ball ghost with no racking aid and no BIH to start with in a race to 10?

And again, OP basically asked how many players are subject to beat a pro player at any given time. Any of the players I listed fit that description. As for Stevie, he is a modest guy, but he certainly fits the bill as well.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may be a very stupid question, but how many Pro level players would you say there are residing in the US?

These could be lesser known players that work full time jobs, but you would still consider them to be at the pro level, and have been known to beat known pro's from time to time.

These would be guys that if they played pool full time (and could make a living at it) would be right up there with any of the known pro's (like Skyler Woodward to name one example).

One other question is, what States would you say have the most pro level players residing in them?

I am also curious if there are very many Junior players who have high hopes of getting to a solid pro level in pool (and have the skill and desire to do so, just like Skyler Woodward, for example, did)?

Has the level of Junior competition stayed about the same in the last 20 years (for example), or do you think the Junior fields have dwindled and gotten weaker (in competition) over the years? Just curious.

Do you see many kids (with natural talent for the game) falling in love with the sport of pool (and just wanting to play the game all of the time) these days? I am guessing not, but I do not know.

Thanks.
Answers, (in order);
1 ~ 7
2 ~ no
3 ~ Alabama
4 ~ no
5~ no
6 ~ no

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because I get a kick out of the question every time someone asks it, especially when someone asks what does it take to become a pro, and how long does it take to become a pro. If a player makes money gambling, does that make the player a pro? If so, what if the player winning the money playing one pocket, is getting spotted 10-4 and wins, is he still considered a pro? Is there a test to determine a pro?
Pro? as in 'Professional' ??? LOL

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
There are 70 pro level players residing in the United States, there are only 2 that could do well on a world stage.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
well lord almighty thanks for settling that for prosperity lol:thumbup:

You are welcome, and just for clarification I will even list the only pros in the USA:

Shane Van Boening, Mike Dechaine, Justin Bergman, Johnny Archer, Rodney Morris, Earl Strickland, Skyler Woodward, Corey Deuel, Dennis Hatch, Johnathan Pinegar, Oscar Dominguez, Amar Kang, Larry Nevel, Josh Roberts, Rodrigo Geronimo, Billy Thorpe, Shane McMinn, Manny Chau, Jesse Bowman, Scott Frost, Jeremy Sossei, Chip Compton, Justin Hall, Charlie Bryan, John Schmidt, Shaun Wilkie, Shane Winters, Zion Zvi, Dave Coles Jr, Nelson Oliveira, Stevie Moore, Eric Moore, Mitch Ellerman, Brian Deska, Danny Smith, Brandon Shuff, Joey Gray, Chad Vilmont, Tony Chohan, Jaynard Orque, Robb Saez, Donny Mills, Tommy Kennedy, Max Eberle, Mike Davis Jr, Tom D'Alfonso, Jesse Engel, Taylor Anderson, Johnny Kang, TJ Steinhaus, Ernesto Dominguez, Santos Sambajon, Alex Olinger, John Gabriel, Ian Costello, Tony Robles, Jeremy Jones, Beau Runningen, Brian Parks, Danny Olson, Rory Hendrickson, Tom McCluske, Dustin Gunia, Gabe Owen, Ike Runnels, Jeff Beckley,
James Davis Sr, John Fields, Lee Heuwagen, Jorge Rodriguez

And the only 2 that would do well on a world stage:
SVB and Justin Bergman

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You are welcome, and just for clarification I will even list the only pros in the USA:

Shane Van Boening, Mike Dechaine, Justin Bergman, Johnny Archer, Rodney Morris, Earl Strickland, Skyler Woodward, Corey Deuel, Dennis Hatch, Johnathan Pinegar, Oscar Dominguez, Amar Kang, Larry Nevel, Josh Roberts, Rodrigo Geronimo, Billy Thorpe, Shane McMinn, Manny Chau, Jesse Bowman, Scott Frost, Jeremy Sossei, Chip Compton, Justin Hall, Charlie Bryan, John Schmidt, Shaun Wilkie, Shane Winters, Zion Zvi, Dave Coles Jr, Nelson Oliveira, Stevie Moore, Eric Moore, Mitch Ellerman, Brian Deska, Danny Smith, Brandon Shuff, Joey Gray, Chad Vilmont, Tony Chohan, Jaynard Orque, Robb Saez, Donny Mills, Tommy Kennedy, Max Eberle, Mike Davis Jr, Tom D'Alfonso, Jesse Engel, Taylor Anderson, Johnny Kang, TJ Steinhaus, Ernesto Dominguez, Santos Sambajon, Alex Olinger, John Gabriel, Ian Costello, Tony Robles, Jeremy Jones, Beau Runningen, Brian Parks, Danny Olson, Rory Hendrickson, Tom McCluske, Dustin Gunia, Gabe Owen, Ike Runnels, Jeff Beckley,
James Davis Sr, John Fields, Lee Heuwagen, Jorge Rodriguez

And the only 2 that would do well on a world stage:
SVB and Justin Bergman

Quite a few from or in California, off the top of my head in orange above.

She is a good player, but she isn't a Mosconi.

I would think her looks tended to have some sort of play in her popularity. :)

Yeah, she was very successful due to the way that she marketed herself as The Black Widow. By far, probably the most widely known name in pool player history (among the general public). Maybe even more known then Fats or Mosconi.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are 70 pro level players residing in the United States, there are only 2 that could do well on a world stage.

So you're using a FargoRate of 725 or higher as the definition of "pro level."

Name 1 single player who you would bet your hard earned money on being able to do that consistently (on any day of the week).

Shane Van Boening, Mike Dechaine, Justin Bergman I named 3.

No, none of those guys can beat the ghost in a race to 10 playing the ghost, without getting ball in hand after the break. Yes, they have the skill to do it, but can they do it, and beat the ghost with no ball in hand after the break (more times then not) on any day of the week? I think not. I do not know of any player that is really that good. How about this, and you can chose the format if you want to change it. Race the ghost to a 100 playing 9 or 10 ball on a 9 foot Diamond or Brunswick Gold Crown (does not matter to me), and the player can play up to 20 games per day against the ghost (with no ball in hand after the break), and the player need not pocket a ball on the break in order to keep shooting. How much of your hard earned money would you honestly bet on any player beating the ghost (with no ball in hand after the break)? Be honest with yourself, before you reply.

Last edited: