How to build the most basic lathe just for cleaning shafts, & how much would it cost?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I admire your ingenuity, but anyone as handy as you must be, doesn't need
the gadgets from fleabay - I would think.

Dale(handy in mind only)

Thanks but I'm as lazy as I am handy .... I bought that initial tool just to save time fabricating. There's really nothing wrong with the design for on the cheap, and buying the aluminum and rollers and cutting it up myself probably wouldn't save much money ... but holding it down with clamps was ridiculous, so I made that little adjustable slide bed.

I only use this thing for my own cues to retip and retaper the shafts, no one elses, so it's not like I use this mickey mouse thing for profit. Although all my friends do ask me to put their tips on .... and when they ask, I do .. it doesn't take long.

It works just fine for me, I lay a nice sharp wood chisel on that mickey mouse rest and it's done in no time.

You should see my ball cleaner ... I lined an oil change bucket with carpet ... throw the balls in .... and hold the buffer over it myself. :D It only takes a few minutes. Too lazy to build another one. I did make one but after 4 yrs the buffer shit the bed and the design on the newer ones available were different and I was too lazy to do it over again. :thumbup:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
A lathe for the most basic setup for shaft cleaning? You should "ask the cuemaker" section, but a wood lathe is the most basic safe setup for shaft cleaning and sanding, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ not a cue mechanic

I'd agree, a used wood lathe is the most simple and safest way going about a shaft cleaning I'd say unless your Magiver. Used ones are very cheap if your patient you can likely find a gem out there for $100 or less. Using the chuck of a drill to spin your shaft IMO is silly

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'd agree, a used wood lathe is the most simple and safest way going about a shaft cleaning I'd say unless your Magiver. Used ones are very cheap if your patient you can likely find a gem out there for $100 or less. Using the chuck of a drill to spin your shaft IMO is silly

That would be silly, especially hard bolting the shaft to a threaded rod and then chucking that into a drill .. too dangerous.

That's why the shaft is slid into a nice soft rubber cup. The cup is the thing secured by the drill chuck, not the shaft. LOL ... I guess if you don't have a touch of Magiver in you ... you would never think of that and rather assume something silly.

It's like what Danny D said in my signature area. If you knew what you didn't know .. you wouldn't not know it. ;)

I like to secure the shaft from movement in that rubber cup with a little bit of painters tape. Further .. the drill speed is regulated with variable speed which allows you to turn it any speed you want.

Not everyone can either afford a lathe or have room to keep one. Nor is it practical to replace a few tips now and again.

I'd still rather do it myself and have it ready in a half hour ... hit with it, I have a GC in my basement ... see if I like it ... change it if I have to .. and get on with playing. For me it sure beats going to get it done. Nothing around here anyway. Pool rooms don't even open until evening around here ... God knows who the hell is changing the tips, or how long you have to wait, or leave it ...

Different solutions for different people. This OP asked for a cheap way to go. I can attest that this works very well. But .. if you happen to have 10 thumbs ... forget it.

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
Nice .. how did you modify the end ... can you post a picture of it? thx

OK this is not a picture of mine, but here is the picture I used to build mine. Basically used soft skate board wheels that can adjust to size I need to work on butts or shafts.

dscn1912.jpg

Don't laugh, it works very well.....

:)

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
You can buy those rubber cups to hold the cues separately.

You mean Rubber Cane Tips.

I would take the Griz over the one from Clown Boy Billiards any day.

You need a Steady rest to do a tip. The steady rests are available. Just have to figure out how you will attach it to the lathe bed.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very interested in buying the parts for the most simple type of pool cue lathe, that could just be used for cleaning shafts.

Can anyone tell me what are all of the parts that I would need, and the costs involved, and how complicated the setup would be for a person like me who has never used or set up a cue shaft lathe before?

I would really like to do this, because getting my shaft deep cleaned costs $20 locally, and if I could do it myself when ever I wanted to, then that would be great.

I am just needing to find out what all I would need, and how much the combined costs would be (including the materials needed to actually clean and re seal a shaft just like a pro would do it).

I really want just the most basic set up for now, and maybe in the future I could possibly add to that basic set up to maybe learn to re tip the shafts too.

Unsure if was said but Harbor Freight Tools prob would be quickest and easiest. They have a decent selection of lathes, and they are pretty much all inexpensive . Im sure you can find one to fit your needs and if there is not one by you just order it online and it will show up right on your front stoop.

GL

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
That is sweet also. I would think you would need a drill that you could lock in the ON position though. That is the main problem with drill units...

Not at all a problem. As I said, you simply buy one of these rheostats ... lock the drill on high .... and run it through this resistor and set to any speed you want. If you can see it in the picture there is a female plug on the bottom for the drill.

In addition, you can incorporate a foot pedal easily enough.

Keep in mind ... we're talking to the OPs .... question ... on the cheap! :)

Attachments

• rheostat.jpg
    rheostat.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 276

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I love these threads. Very few end up buying lathes or lathe components, other than professional cue makers or cue repairmen. The ones that do, end up selling them later.

You only want to clean shafts, right? That's what you said in your original post. You don't need a lathe, unless you want to severely re-taper or thin the shaft.

For a very dirty shaft, maybe a bit of sanding is necessary. I wouldn't go any lower than 600, some would start with 400, it's ok. But just rough it up, and take out some of the grunge. You don't have to take it all out.

Then, follow up with a fine sandpaper, 600 all the way up to 2500 is fine, because the next steps will take care of it. Don't get vigorous, just go over it.

Apply a good sealant/conditioner, such as Cueslik. Various others will work. Then finish up with the various colored cue finishing papers that are available all over the place, rubbing real good.

I think your total cost is under $10, with the above instructions. If you prefer, go ahead and spend hundreds, if not more. Then sell all the equipment later, as most do.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an option that's thinking out of the box. Do a search on fishing gear. They make lathe parts for wrapping guides and finishing blank rods. These tend to be slow turning equipment. Safety wise graphite rod blanks cost way more than maple sticks.

If you want to shape a butt get a wood lathe.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
shafts and cleaning them.

I am very interested in buying the parts for the most simple type of pool cue lathe, that could just be used for cleaning shafts.

Can anyone tell me what are all of the parts that I would need, and the costs involved, and how complicated the setup would be for a person like me who has never used or set up a cue shaft lathe before?

I would really like to do this, because getting my shaft deep cleaned costs $20 locally, and if I could do it myself when ever I wanted to, then that would be great.

I am just needing to find out what all I would need, and how much the combined costs would be (including the materials needed to actually clean and re seal a shaft just like a pro would do it).

I really want just the most basic set up for now, and maybe in the future I could possibly add to that basic set up to maybe learn to re tip the shafts too.

Thanks a lot for any help.

This is what I tell most of my customers and allot of time I will give them some wax to keep their cue maintained.

Have a professional clean the shaft, and ask what they seal the shaft with?

After I clean the shaft I mix 50/50 clear shellac and denatured alcohol and put several coats on.
7 to 15 coats, the 50/50 mix dries in seconds.
then I use real fine steel wool and kind of lightly buff the shaft .

Then I use carnauba or synthetic car wax and put several coats on.

the shellac will seal the shaft so a short time and keep all the grit and dirt from getting into the pours.
FYI shellac is sticky, this is why I use wax over the top of the shellac.

Then every week or how ever often it needs it strip the wax and shellac off with denatured alcohol
and re apply the shellac and car wax.

In other words once the shafts has been cleaned the owner can maintain the shaft at home with out a lathe........................

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I find these how to build your own threads very useful for us guys that like to tinker with things. I would like to actually try and use my harbor freight lathe to make my own sneaky pete one day. Just to see if I can.

JC

Coos Cues
I have used a cordless drill and a shaft pin arbor for many years to clean and maintain my shafts. Use a lightweight drill and hold the drill in one hand and whatever you're using on the shaft in the other and run it freewheeling in the air. The nice thing about this is if your shaft is warped at all the wrist of the hand holding the drill works like a gyroscope/shock absorber and the other hand on the shaft is your steady rest. You can run your hand up and down the shaft more efficiently with this than you can on a lathe. You can also regulate the speed very easily with the trigger finger of the hand holding the drill. Since I bought a lathe I still find this to be quicker, easier and as good of results.

Assuming you already own a cordless drill, total cost about $15 for the most deluxe shaft adaptor out there. You can even build your own out of a 1.99 joint pin and a cheapo plastic female joint protector if you need cheaper.

JC