How to Improve 9 Ball Pro Match Play !!!

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody is always trying to fix 9 ball. Why?
It doesn’t matter how you rack the balls or what break rules you put into effect. The players that are winning these events are the elite players in the world. Changing all the rules isnt going to change a thing. They will still win because they are the elite players. They’ve put in countless hours of practice and hard work to get there.

They break and run because they are good at the game. A lot people can’t toss 9 balls out on the table and shoot them in any order without missing.

You’re not going to change the winners of events the best will still win. Some events will have a guy who plays better than the rest for that given tournament. Next event it will be someone else but the elite players are going to dominate even more if you have more rules and make the game harder because they perform better on a daily basis. Everyone has their moments the elite are just more consistent.

Steph Curry might be the best 3 point shooter in the history of the NBA but moving the 3 point line back is not going to help the players who don’t shoot that well to start with.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Hey KY, the way the pros are able to control the one ball as the head ball on the break, it's obvious at times.
If the Breaker Doesn't know the direction the one ball is going.... It will be more difficult.
It's one of the main reasons, players making their living playing rotation, prefer 10 ball gambling, you have better control of the game, and your opponents board play speaks loudly to the better player.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Despite the beauty of the game, not many would watch one pocket.
Same as a pro chess match..... I know how the pieces move, but have no idea why a pro would do something that was 8 moves ahead.

Cuedup

If viewers are important to sponsorship, what's the world viewership of 1 pkt vs 9 ball?
9 ball is a very popular game. It seems odd so many want to change it so drastically or even commit to a particular rule set.

If they're trying to create a more difficult game that requires a more complete demonstration of cueing ability , 1pkt it the obvious choice.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Everybody is always trying to fix 9 ball. Why?
It doesn’t matter how you rack the balls or what break rules you put into effect. The players that are winning these events are the elite players in the world. Changing all the rules isnt going to change a thing. They will still win because they are the elite players. They’ve put in countless hours of practice and hard work to get there.

They break and run because they are good at the game. A lot people can’t toss 9 balls out on the table and shoot them in any order without missing.

You’re not going to change the winners of events the best will still win. Some events will have a guy who plays better than the rest for that given tournament. Next event it will be someone else but the elite players are going to dominate even more if you have more rules and make the game harder because they perform better on a daily basis. Everyone has their moments the elite are just more consistent.

Steph Curry might be the best 3 point shooter in the history of the NBA but moving the 3 point line back is not going to help the players who don’t shoot that well to start with.
Because players example: Corey Duel, figured out how to beat the break shot, and completely take their opponent out of the match. If you've never seen that match, I understand your above statement.

L.S. Dennis

If viewers are important to sponsorship, what's the world viewership of 1 pkt vs 9 ball?
There would be some difference certainly but to average people pool (unless you are a player) pool is simply not an interesting game to watch. The game tends to be more cerebral than most sports therefore not likely to attract a lot of attention for the average person.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There would be some difference certainly but to average people pool (unless you are a player) pool is simply not an interesting game to watch. The game tends to be more cerebral than most sports therefore not likely to attract a lot of attention for the average person.
For the most part, viewers like watching their favorite players, not the actual game played. Problem is, no real platform for which the viewing audience can watch from around the world, and not enough money to make it worth while for the best players to come to the table, therefore all you do get to watch is some of the current best players, and even that's a crapshoot!

Island Drive

Silver Member
Mosconi Cup?

Cuedup

Could a daily ,weekly or monthly Mosconi Cup be successful?

I don't think so. It's the drama and build up to the event that brings in the fans.

It's the drama and back story that brings in other than the hardcore fans and those are the aspects that will be responsible for growth in pool viewership. It won't be from tweaking the break rules.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, Max had three and Soufi, his opponent had one. Lechner won six of the other nine racks and was, therefore, the better man in the match.

And no, it doesn't take the fun out of it. Fans love golden breaks and only bitter players and the most devout purists want to take this excitement away from them.
I just remember someone saying 4 nines I saw the highlights. I don't like that way, you don't have much control over the cue ball. I can't remember what worlds it was. Thay stopped the match, Halfway through. Because the 9 kept going down. On one of the outside tables. I think that it was, last year when Shane won it. I don't mind seeing golden Breaks. But everyone plays the same break now. One in the middle, cue ball into the middle of the diamond.
Remember the days, of park whitey in the middle of the table.