HOW TO REPLACE A CUE TIP … No Special Tools Required

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another little scrap of information, most people aren't using the little brass handled knives as intended. The idea was to put the bevel against what you are going to save and the backbone of the knife is off to the side letting you see where you are cutting better.

Are you saying the large flat surface of the blade (the non-beveled side) should not be adjacent to the ferrule when cutting off the old tip or against the cylindrical side of the ferrule when trimming the glued-on tip? That seems very counterintuitive and awkward.

Thanks,
Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've used Triangles (always burnished) and never had any trouble with mushrooming. The next time I replace the Triangle on my Revo, I'll leave it unburnished to see if there is any difference.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, thanks for all the good advice you give on here. I don't have near the wealth of knowledge that you have. Everything that I know I learned through experience. I do take pride in my ability to make the tip just right for the player I'm doing it for. I would get it exactly the shape/roundness they liked, and just rough that tip enough to take the chalk all over from edge to edge. The sides of the tip would be smooth and perfectly straight with zero mushroom. That last part could take the longest. After that I would clean up the entire shaft and make that feel like new. Then I was done and they couldn't wait to get their hands on it and play, play, play. The look of satisfaction on their faces and the broad smile was all the pay I ever wanted.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, thanks for all the good advice you give on here. I don't have near the wealth of knowledge that you have. Everything that I know I learned through experience. I do take pride in my ability to make the tip just right for the player I'm doing it for. I would get it exactly the shape/roundness they liked, and just rough that tip enough to take the chalk all over from edge to edge. The sides of the tip would be smooth and perfectly straight with zero mushroom. That last part could take the longest. After that I would clean up the entire shaft and make that feel like new. Then I was done and they couldn't wait to get their hands on it and play, play, play. The look of satisfaction on their faces and the broad smile was all the pay I ever wanted.

If you have any specific and helpful "tips" or advice to share, please do so. Thanks Jay.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Are you saying the large flat surface of the blade (the non-beveled side) should not be adjacent to the ferrule when cutting off the old tip or against the cylindrical side of the ferrule when trimming the glued-on tip? That seems very counterintuitive and awkward.

Thanks,
Dave
I believe the point is that you hold the knife blade perpendicular to your sight line so you are looking at the side and not gunsighting it pointing away from you with your hand blocking your view. The flat side is against the ferrule.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I did want to mention that for a lot less money than just one of those fancy cues you can get a rudimentary cue lathe, like the "SHARPSHOOTER POOL CUE TIP LATHE," on eBay for about $250 plus shipping. Seems like a good investment if you're seriously into pool.

Thanks again,

jv
I got one of the $65 ebay ones that use a drill. I put in my old broken $25 hitachi 1/2" drill. It has a thing you can keep the trigger depressed with, so I put a foot pedal from my wife's cut off tool on it. For a $90 investment I can tip a cue very nicely and have put about 20 tips on various cues and house cues. It's not fancy and if you have a really warped house cue, getting "runout" minimal on it is tough, but for tip replacement it doesn't matter as much if you're careful. For 2 piece cues or fairly straight house cues it works wonderfully. I like DIY and there are no installers in my area so for the price of getting a handful of tips installed I'm set for life on the installation front.

Last edited:

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely yes. Cut the old tip off, a little bit above the fiber pad. Then cut or file just down to the fiber pad. Makes the next tip installation much easier, as you only have to tape the ferrule, and no lower.

All the best,
WW
Thank you, will give it a shot.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Dave
Bear in mind that the knife wasn't designed for tip work but for cutting thin material like split leather I believe. But to use it as intended would have the bevel against the ferrule as we make these cuts. These knives are made for very accurate light work. I think when taking an existing tip off of a ferrule it is more of a break than cut, not something these knives are intended for. Use a rough tool for that, even a sharp wood chisel. I usually cut the tip off just far enough out I can see I am cutting or breaking the tip, not the tip/ferrule joint or cutting into the ferrule. Then, if you want to take a precise cut of that last ten to thirty thousandths of leather off the end of the cue, slice it off with this knife.

The proper usage is indeed with the bevel of the blade against the ferrule for all cuts. I suspect it would take a little practice to get used to the idea. Generally tooling call out is backwards, left hand tooling for a right handed person and vice-versa. When you get in the habit of looking at the bevel instead of the back of the blade you now see very close to the junction of the material being cut and the cutting tool, not the back of a blade that might be over an inch away. Makes sense, in theory. I suspect something that needs some rethinking and practice on our part.

One of those things I never get around to is leather work. I suspect leatherworkers would be more familiar with this knife and how to use it, particularly Japanese leather workers if I recall correctly where it originated. It may well be a second cutting tool too, to be used for a final trim after the bulk of the waste has been cut away as I suggested in tip work.

I have considered buying a few of these knives a handful of times. Never got around to buying them but while I was looking I learned the intended usage of one. It isn't intuitive, but then again many things aren't.

Hu

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bear in mind that the knife wasn't designed for tip work but for cutting thin material like split leather I believe. But to use it as intended would have the bevel against the ferrule as we make these cuts. These knives are made for very accurate light work. I think when taking an existing tip off of a ferrule it is more of a break than cut, not something these knives are intended for. Use a rough tool for that, even a sharp wood chisel. I usually cut the tip off just far enough out I can see I am cutting or breaking the tip, not the tip/ferrule joint or cutting into the ferrule. Then, if you want to take a precise cut of that last ten to thirty thousandths of leather off the end of the cue, slice it off with this knife.

The proper usage is indeed with the bevel of the blade against the ferrule for all cuts. I suspect it would take a little practice to get used to the idea. Generally tooling call out is backwards, left hand tooling for a right handed person and vice-versa. When you get in the habit of looking at the bevel instead of the back of the blade you now see very close to the junction of the material being cut and the cutting tool, not the back of a blade that might be over an inch away. Makes sense, in theory. I suspect something that needs some rethinking and practice on our part.

One of those things I never get around to is leather work. I suspect leatherworkers would be more familiar with this knife and how to use it, particularly Japanese leather workers if I recall correctly where it originated. It may well be a second cutting tool too, to be used for a final trim after the bulk of the waste has been cut away as I suggested in tip work.

I have considered buying a few of these knives a handful of times. Never got around to buying them but while I was looking I learned the intended usage of one. It isn't intuitive, but then again many things aren't.

Hu

Thanks for the info. I might give it a try (my new knife is due to arrive next week); although, it still seems quite non-intuitive. I think I will still prefer to see the flat edge of the blade touching the leather just beyond the ferrule, both during the cutoff and the fine slicing. And it also seems to make sense to do final scraping with the flat side flush with the ferrule end. But I'll try to keep an open mind when I play with both approaches (on a house cue). The one obvious benefit of having the bevel on the ferrule side is the blade will tend to wedge away from the ferrule preventing you from cutting off too much tip, especially during the post-glue trimming of the tip down to diameter.

Thanks again.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I might give it a try (my new knife is due to arrive next week); although, it still seems quite non-intuitive. I think I will still prefer to see the flat edge of the blade touching the leather just beyond the ferrule, both during the cutoff and the fine slicing. And it also seems to make sense to do final scraping with the flat side flush with the ferrule end. But I'll try to keep an open mind when I play with both approaches (on a house cue). The one obvious benefit of having the bevel on the ferrule side is the blade will tend to wedge away from the ferrule preventing you from cutting off too much tip, especially during the post-glue trimming of the tip down to diameter.

Thanks again.

Unless you bought knives with a bevel on each side you will find it difficult to use it on one side or the other unless you are ambidextrous with little eye dominance.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless you bought knives with a bevel on each side you will find it difficult to use it on one side or the other unless you are ambidextrous with little eye dominance.

I bought a single-bevel right-handed blade which will make it awkward for me to use the bevel-side approach you have described, but I think I can make it work to at least get a feel for each cutting direction when I test it out. Thanks again.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you have any specific and helpful "tips" or advice to share, please do so. Thanks Jay.
Probably the most important thing when putting a tip, on is to make sure it stays on! I used Tweeten's tip cement when I had it and Elmer's glue when I was out of Tweeten's. I liked to put a thin film of glue that covered the entire base of the tip and the same at the top of the ferrule. A very thin layer of glue worked the best. Too much glue and you may have a problem later. Then I would wait until the glue got sticky before applying the tip. Maybe a minute or two is enough time. That way it really takes hold and you won't lose your tip. I never had to "burp" my tips, although that is an interesting idea.

After getting the tip centered on the ferrule and starting to take hold, I would very carefully turn the cue upside down and place it tip first on the floor, leaning against the wall in the corner. I tried to get it standing as straight up as possible. The weight of the cue was enough to keep everything locked in place. I would then leave it that way overnight and do the finish work the next day when the tip was firmly attached. I learned this technique from watching Jake Spitler (an old time hustler in Dayton) and also seeing Danny D. and New York Blackie do it basically the same way in their motel rooms. Back then we didn't have the luxury of tip tools to do the job while out on the road somewhere. Most poolplayers didn't trust this important job to some guy in the local poolroom. And I don't think they wanted to give some stranger possession of their cue either. Let's just say it was a different era back then. ;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably the most important thing when putting a tip, on is to make sure it stays on! I used Tweeten's tip cement when I had it and Elmer's glue when I was out of Tweeten's. I liked to put a thin film of glue that covered the entire base of the tip and the same at the top of the ferrule. A very thin layer of glue worked the best. Too much glue and you may have a problem later. Then I would wait until the glue got sticky before applying the tip. Maybe a minute or two is enough time. That way it really takes hold and you won't lose your tip. I never had to "burp" my tips, although that is an interesting idea.

After getting the tip centered on the ferrule and starting to take hold, I would very carefully turn the cue upside down and place it tip first on the floor, leaning against the wall in the corner. I tried to get it standing as straight up as possible. The weight of the cue was enough to keep everything locked in place. I would then leave it that way overnight and do the finish work the next day when the tip was firmly attached. I learned this technique from watching Jake Spitler (an old time hustler in Dayton) and also seeing Danny D. and New York Blackie do it basically the same way in their motel rooms. Back then we didn't have the luxury of tip tools to do the job while out on the road somewhere. Most poolplayers didn't trust this important job to some guy in the local poolroom. And I don't think they wanted to give some stranger possession of their cue either. Let's just say it was a different era back then. ;)

Thanks Jay. That definitely was a different era. The Elmer's Glue Era. :)

I like the idea of spreading thin layers of glue on both the tip and the ferrule. But I also like adding an additional drop to the center to help ensure glue spreads outward uniformly from the center when the tip is pressed down. This helps ensure complete coverage with no air pockets or voids. And the tape on the ferrule keeps the glue off the ferrule, giving you more time to wipe away the excess.

Happy New Year,
Dave

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I bought a single-bevel right-handed blade which will make it awkward for me to use the bevel-side approach you have described, but I think I can make it work to at least get a feel for each cutting direction when I test it out. Thanks again.
I’ve done plenty of tips and the bevel on the outside of the ferrule is very easy to control. I can see no reason to turn it around to bevel in.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned towards the various cue tip maintenance tools out there. One would think that by now, by 2021, there would be a superbly functioning, quality tip tool, for installing, cutting, shaping, etc. But, alas, to my knowledge there is not.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A very common glue for tips these days is "super glue" or "super glue gel". It's all I've used for a long time. I used to mix two-part epoxy which added a lot of time and bother.

Here is a good info page about super glues or cyanoacrylate glue or CA glue: https://www.hotmelt.com/blogs/blog/what-is-cyanoacrylate-glue

Among other interesting items there is that CA glue does not dry. It cures. Moisture must be present for it to cure. The reason it bonds your fingers together so well is that you are a big water sack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned towards the various cue tip maintenance tools out there. One would think that by now, by 2021, there would be a superbly functioning, quality tip tool, for installing, cutting, shaping, etc. But, alas, to my knowledge there is not.
Sure there is: the tip repair guy at the regional or national tournament. A great job in 10 minutes. Don't call him a "tool" though. ;)

I think that guy is the best option a lot of the time. You can watch him do other people's tips for a while and see if you want to trust him. He will have a good selection of tips. He can do other work if needed.

But I think it is also good for each player to learn how to tip a cue in case of emergencies and just to get a better feel for the equipment.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Click on the attachment...the note is there.

Thanks. I think I would put that more in the "interesting ritual" category rather than the "useful or necessary steps" category, but thank you for sharing it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A very common glue for tips these days is "super glue" or "super glue gel". It's all I've used for a long time. I used to mix two-part epoxy which added a lot of time and bother.

Here is a good info page about super glues or cyanoacrylate glue or CA glue: https://www.hotmelt.com/blogs/blog/what-is-cyanoacrylate-glue

Among other interesting items there is that CA glue does not dry. It cures. Moisture must be present for it to cure. The reason it bonds your fingers together so well is that you are a big water sack.

Thanks Bob. The link was an interesting read. I've added it to the resource page.

Happy New Year from your fellow "water sack,"
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it is also good for each player to learn how to tip a cue in case of emergencies and just to get a better feel for the equipment.

Agreed. I was reluctant at first, but now I am glad I have the skill for when I need it.

Thanks again for all the help!