How would you play this shot for the win?

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, Creedo has it exactly correct--three natural rails to the short side. I wouldn't even consider anything else unless there was traffic that prevents the three rail position.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Well, inside english might not be the shot 'for you'. I could do it both ways, but the inside english has more natural 'two way' in it.

I'm older than you & have probably missed more than you, cumulatively speaking.

The inside english is a softer shot & can even increase the odds of the 7 going if just a bit off.

Give it a try. You might like it & it will give you another option if there are more balls that could get in the way of the 3 railer.

Best,
Rick

I would use inside english on a similar shot, but not this one.

Look at the position of the 8 ball! It seems that if you don't get straight in....you could be looking at a scratch in the side if shooting it in the corner.

I like the 3 railer. But I think from a natural shot...the cue comes off the center diamond on the short rail ( 2nd rail) and off the 3rd rail around the 2 -2 1/2 diamond mark on the third rail.

Would have to watch your speed or you could scratch in the corner by the 15.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
With the shown angle on the 7 the 3rail position is the right choice- with a large margin of error.
To play the game right, and to keep the game as simple as possible you have to go for the shot with the highest percentage to have success...... and not to hit and hope :)

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play it natural, it comes way too short to scratch in the corner by the 15. You would have to hit the cue ball low and/or with too much right to end up in a scratch, IMO

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I would use inside english on a similar shot, but not this one.

Look at the position of the 8 ball! It seems that if you don't get straight in....you could be looking at a scratch in the side if shooting it in the corner.

I like the 3 railer. But I think from a natural shot...the cue comes off the center diamond on the short rail ( 2nd rail) and off the 3rd rail around the 2 -2 1/2 diamond mark on the third rail.

Would have to watch your speed or you could scratch in the corner by the 15.

klock,

I agree & that is why I said if the pic is accurate. If so, I think I can still make it even if cutting it to the left.

I also agree with you that the 3 railer MIGHT be more like you say.

Naturally when talking about a position shot like this MUCH depends on what table, cloth, cue ball, & even the humidity.

I was just offering another option with a bit more safety that also has a 2nd shot if the position is missed that still allows a shot with a bit of a two way to it also.

To me it's all about playing percentages. I learned along time ago that no matter how good I might be, I know that I am not perfect. Neither are Diamond rails. I've seen some very funny bounces recently of balls hitting near a side point, not hitting the point but near the point. The tableIi'm talking about is factory & has not been recovered yet. So...things will probably change when it is recovered.

Best,
Rick

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I immediately thought natural 3-rail shape like everyone else. But that hardly warrants a how would you play this? post, so my guess is that you doubled the rail with heavy inside. That's a fun shot.

If the 8-ball were an inch to the right in the picture, or closer to the rail, then doubling the long rail would definitely be the shot. Someone posted that the cut looked to thin for that, but I disagree.

Also, while the Wei tool is, sadly, now a piece of junk to be avoided at all costs, there is a good, much simpler alternative: http://www.billiardsthegame.com/btgtable/. If you want to add lines, you'll have to do that outside the tool, in Paint, Word, etc.

Cory

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Thanks for all the positive replies except for the 1 negative APA Basher oh and by the way stop by anytime and we'll see just how much of a Banger I am.

Anyway I regress, the 3 rail option was my first thought however for some odd reason I was just afraid of scratching in the lower left corner so I opted go 2 rails for position on the 8 in the side pocket. Much to my dismay I scratched in the side cue ball A.

What made it so bad was we were both on the Hill needing that game to win, and all the matches came down to who either made a mistake or just plain opened the door.

Hard fought battle, well played match on both parties case, mine and my opponent.

Just wanted to see what some others may have thought.

Black Cat :cool:

LosingshotinMatch091813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd only do it that way if the other ways were blocked.

But I bet it looked nice & hurt the opponent in places that we don't talk about.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might have hit the 7 softly and let the CB drift to the rail, then 8 in lower right corner.

(no chance of scratching)

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
I'd only do it that way if the other ways were blocked.

But I bet it looked nice & hurt the opponent in places that we don't talk about.

He scratched in the side pocket, read his post. I doubt his opponents were hurting too much.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 294932

It a natural three-rail position shot. Depending on your speed, CB comes up for either the side or corner pocket. You can't double the rail because the angle is too steep and the CB won't hold. If you slow roll it into the side either ball could roll off or the CB could get away.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^ If the cut angle was thick enough to do what you were trying...I personally would have used the bottom rail only with just below center with inside and tracking back towards the rail before the 8.

Btw, i'm totally used to doing stuff like this with Efren-like control (not a joke).

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Thanks for all the positive replies except for the 1 negative APA Basher oh and by the way stop by anytime and we'll see just how much of a Banger I am.

Anyway I regress, the 3 rail option was my first thought however for some odd reason I was just afraid of scratching in the lower left corner so I opted go 2 rails for position on the 8 in the side pocket. Much to my dismay I scratched in the side cue ball A.

What made it so bad was we were both on the Hill needing that game to win, and all the matches came down to who either made a mistake or just plain opened the door.

Hard fought battle, well played match on both parties case, mine and my opponent.

Just wanted to see what some others may have thought.

LosingshotinMatch091813.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Honestly the cue ball barely made it to the side pocket, close side of the pocket or just past I would still have been good. Just never expected the scratch in the side, never even thought twice about it. The whole room went silent. I saw the line as soon as it came off the end rail, didn't even look at it when it fell just knew it was going.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

If you're referring to me as the APA basher, you couldn't be further from the truth. I was only injecting a bit of humor into the thread (as I am known to do). My son was rushing me to take him somewhere and so I didn't take the necessary time to put the usual smiley-face emoticons in where I normally would have. I have played APA leagues for the past 7 years and have been known to defend the organization here on AZB on many occasions (I have also been critical of certain aspects of MY experiences with the APA, but those were certainly warranted as the APA is not a "perfect" organization by any means). I apologize for sending the wrong message. maybe I shouldn't joke/kid around on here so much :sorry:.

Maniac (takes very few things in life seriously :))

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
If you're referring to me as the APA basher, you couldn't be further from the truth. I was only injecting a bit of humor into the thread (as I am known to do). My son was rushing me to take him somewhere and so I didn't take the necessary time to put the usual smiley-face emoticons in where I normally would have. I have played APA leagues for the past 7 years and have been known to defend the organization here on AZB on many occasions (I have also been critical of certain aspects of MY experiences with the APA, but those were certainly warranted as the APA is not a "perfect" organization by any means). I apologize for sending the wrong message. maybe I shouldn't joke/kid around on here so much :sorry:.

Maniac (takes very few things in life seriously :))

No worries Maniac, I get a little testy when it comes to that because of all the bashing that goes on. I do a great deal to promote good pool, and play so when folks start I go on offense pretty quickly.

It's all good.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
It a natural three-rail position shot. Depending on your speed, CB comes up for either the side or corner pocket. You can't double the rail because the angle is too steep and the CB won't hold. If you slow roll it into the side either ball could roll off or the CB could get away.

Lou Figueroa

This is what I thought, 7 in the side,QB goes 3 rails (long, short, long) for the 8 in the side or corner depending on where exactly the CB landed.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Yes. Exactly what I said on pg 3 post.

Hey, Justin is giving up weight in one pocket games. You could probably get 12/6 for a hundred jelly beans a game!

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
If you play it natural, it comes way too short to scratch in the corner by the 15. You would have to hit the cue ball low and/or with too much right to end up in a scratch, IMO

Not on my table. It definitely comes in that vicinity with running English.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'm with Creedo on this one. Center gives you the natural 3 rail shape for the side or corner depending on speed. Why use english when you don't need it?