How Would You Run These Balls?

I'm making that 1 ball 90 plus percent and getting lucky 50 percent of time it misses. I can live or should I say thrive with those odds.
You guys only see one answer. You limit yourselves and your game. If it's early in the set I shoot all day. If I am up say 7 to 4 going to 9 I shoot. If I need a and they are on hill or pre hill I might play safe...but if I'm shooting good sometimes you gotta make your own luck.

If you don't bank this 1 ball then you must not bank anything.

takeitdown,

The goal is to win every game you play and to do everything you can to win every game you play, regardless of the set score.

The set score should not alter your shot choice.

ONB

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So where am I after this safe? Locked down? Cause if it's a one or 2 rail kick it's gonna get hit and leave you a tougher shot than the bank ever was or luck safe.

Holy shit I guess only good things happen when you kick at a ball! :rolleyes:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
You flatter yourself again.
I play real players in big events all the time.

So you advocate passing on the bank on the one that I will make 90 percent? Its a natural 2 way safe. A cut shot down the rail is harder! Its a straight in bank with lock shape on the 2. I'm out 85 percent from there.

Love to see you when the opponent kicks in your safe or gets lucky and sticks you.
Exactly, that bank is way easier than any safe

phillyviper1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just broke and made two balls on the break. How would you run out, or would you run out?

P.S. I'm getting better with the numbering thing:).

View attachment 356514

RUN out for sure. bank 1 cross corner sticking cue ball there with a slight angle , shoot 2 right were its at come off the rail towards the center of table,shoot 3 ball bottom corner , float off rail and shoot 4 in pocket where you shot the 2 ball, roll over and shoot 6 in same corner. come off rail giving an angle to shoot 8 in corner , then one rail over and shoot 9 in same corner. Easy run out play safe is no good . (note) why play safe to get a shot? you already have a shot. Banking the 1 ball is the only hard shot in the rack , make it you win.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
takeitdown,

The goal is to win every game you play and to do everything you can to win every game you play, regardless of the set score.

ONB

Yup, I'm glad you made that point. And yet that mentality is so common in all sports.

takeitdown,

ONB
One of the biggest fallacies in pool. Only thing more off base is playing the table not the opponent.
In every other sport where score is kept the score matters. If my opponent needs one game and I need 4 I am playing a whole different set of strategies than if it's the opposite.

If I have an okay safe or a 50 50 shot that leads to a good runout I'm shooting if you need a game. I'm not losing on a mediocre safe. Again in my game it's offense that wins.

Last edited:

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RUN out for sure.

You know, when this thread runs its course, tally up the "dead bank" people and the guys saying play safe.

Compare that ratio to the ratio of any given pool room's Open/A+, A's to the rest of the pack.

I think you'll find a suspiciously strong correlation.

takeitdown,

ONB

Yup, I'm glad you made that point. And yet that mentality is so common in all sports.

In many sports it is the right thing to consider the total score. A bowler needing 3 pins to win a match would be a fool to try to strike the frame. A golfer needing to par a hole to win would be an idiot to attempt to birdie the hole. There are times and sports where considering the total score is the right thing to do. Pool is not that sport.

ONB

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've seen what a straight shooting, offensive minded young CJ shot.

WWYD? means what would 'I' do. As stated I bank it but plan on being short. I stiffen it with inside, and hit it with the speed to go the second time. To me, I can make a full swing effort at the bank at a controllable speed. Bank and stick.

I looked at the roll up onto the 2, ticky behind the 6. To me that
is too speed and accuracy dependent for a lock up result. If I hit the 6 first, I don't hide the cueball, if I hit the 2 too full, maybe I make the 2 and am hidden behind the 6. I just dont like slow rolling that distance to make the hit, and then have to be that accurate to come out good.

That's just me.

....full shot vs slow roll...was the difference to me/I'm old..I get the yips

..shoot to your strength and tendencies

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I think...

You know, when this thread runs its course, tally up the "dead bank" people and the guys saying play safe.

Compare that ratio to the ratio of any given pool room's Open/A+, A's to the rest of the pack.

I think you'll find a suspiciously strong correlation.

I think you'll find a much stronger correlation between feel players and deliberate players Buddha...and or a stronger correlation between degenerate gamblers and percentage players. There are plenty of both of those from the top to the bottom of skill level...

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
it's greatly going to depend on the player...

We've seen what a straight shooting, offensive minded young CJ shot.

WWYD? means what would 'I' do. As stated I bank it but plan on being short. I stiffen it with inside, and hit it with the speed to go the second time. To me, I can make a full swing effort at the bank at a controllable speed. Bank and stick.

I looked at the roll up onto the 2, ticky behind the 6. To me that
is too speed and accuracy dependent for a lock up result. If I hit the 6 first, I don't hide the cueball, if I hit the 2 too full, maybe I make the 2 and am hidden behind the 6. I just dont like slow rolling that distance to make the hit, and then have to be that accurate to come out good.

That's just me.

....full shot vs slow roll...was the difference to me/I'm old..I get the yips

..shoot to your strength and tendencies

We all saw, well those of us watching saw, what happened to Earl trying to play safe instead of just firing everything in. He was making the right choices, just not for his type of play.

Him and Shane almost lost because of it; however, if he would've attempted to fire things in and missed, then they would've lost for sure.

He made the right percentage decision and came up short, but they ended up pulling it off anyways.

I learned the hard way playing with Shawn Putnam that what's safe against one person, is a runout against someone else.

The only reason I said the safe in this case is because there is SUCH a high likelihood of leaving it super tough, if there was a jump shot or an easy kick from the position of the safe I would say go for the bank. Any time a safe is as tough as the shot, you go for the shot IMO. In this case the safe is MUCH higher percentage IMO.

Jaden

Last edited:

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
We all saw, well those of us watching saw, what happened to Earl trying to play safe instead of just firing everything in. He was making the right choices, just not for his type of play.

Him and Shane almost lost because of it; however, if he would've attempted to fire things in and missed, then they would've lost for sure.

He made the right percentage decision and came up short, but they ended up pulling it off anyways.

I learned the hard way playing with Shawn Putnam that what's safe against one person, is a runout against someone else.

The only reason I said the safe in this case is because there is SUCH a high likelihood of leaving it super tough, if there was a jump shot or an easy kick from the position of the safe I would say go for the bank. Any time a safe is as tough as the shot, you go for the shot IMO. In this case the safe is MUCH higher percentage IMO.

Jaden
Jaden needs to practice his banks. That is all I got out of your post.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
these type shots MUST be aggressively attempted (with a safety factor included)

When faced with a tough shot or safe opportunity sometimes it's prudent to play both. Even on this {somewhat} simple bank shot I would be looking at what would happen if I miss it short.....or long. Which one gives me the best chance to "get safe" if missed?

Once you see which side of the pocket is best to favor you let this information influence your shot speed.

In the example of the shot in Reno I would play the bank "long" with speed to get the object ball back to the other end rail OR play the bank "short" and use the other balls to increase my chances of getting "safe" if the shot it missed.

"Two way shots," in my opinion, take the most skill, creativity, and strategy to implement consistently. This is one of the main reasons I don't like "one foul" as much as "two foul" 9-ball. When playing "Two Shot Shoot Out" these type shots MUST be aggressively attempted (with a safety factor included).....or it's {virtually} impossible to win against an accomplished player.

I think it's indicative of the younger players having played 1 foul 9 ball for so long that some of you look to hook your opponent rather than try to run out. Nothing wrong with that when the situation calls for it but I think this situation does not call for it. You're slow-rolling the cueball from 5 feet away at a ball that is very close to the rail making a double-kiss a distinct possibility.

When two-foul 9 ball was being played there was no player who would even think of playing safe from here but times change:frown:.

View attachment 356648

The shooter in this game was C.J. Wiley at the 1991 Sands Regency Open and he banked the 1 ball cross-corner and ran the table out.

View attachment 356649

He was able to draw back without touching the rail for a shot on the 3 ball. C.J. played very well in this match.

View attachment 356650

Thanks to all for your replies.

ONB