how would you shoot this shot?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Most of us are not pool room rats (no offense intended) and play only when we have time. If I knew 30 years what I know now about the game I'd be a much better player. ie I haven't plateaued yet and I'm starting to get old.
lol... none taken. I most certainly was a pool room rat in my late teens and early 20's. I've been lucky that I managed to retain a decent amount of my hard knocks as a young adult.

25yrs later, I don't think there's another game accelerating epiphany in my future. My eyes are going and I really should take up yoga. Obviously there's still things to learn, but having a handle on the coriolis effect in regards to pool balls isn't jumping my fargo an extra point....lol

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If I had to choose between spending a couple of hours chasing theory about how kill shot does what it does or hit a few dozen shots and learn it from practical experience. I'd play the game.
Why does it have to be a choice? I can learn things "scientifically" and learn from experience - and the things I learn from experience I learn better and more deeply because of the "science" I know. Don't know why you can't do that - your loss.

pj
chgo

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why does it have to be a choice? I can learn things "scientifically" and learn from experience - and the things I learn from experience I learn better and more deeply because of the "science" I know. Don't know why you can't do that - your loss.

pj
chgo
What I meant was. If I had to choose, I would opt to take that "research" time and apply it to practical learning. Obviously I embrace the theory as well or I wouldn't bother with the discourse here on AZB. My issue with some of it, (theory that is) is that it conflicts with what I have experienced. That's no one else's problem of course.

We've gotten way OT. Rather than bloat this thread, I'd be more than willing to take in a discussion of "theorical vs practical" if it interests you.

JC

Coos Cues
Poorly aiming a shot doesn't equate to you going about the thought process wrong. You just missed. It happens... You could miss it three more time in a row, and I'd still say you played it right ;)

That said, if CJ wandered in here he'd tell you to hit it with inside and twist something or other....

Rolling the ball requires a light stroke. Everyone other than the 14.1 crowd will tell you to let your stroke out when you can...lol.
Not on that shot. a medium stroke center ball will be rolling by the time it hits the object ball. No one is saying dink it it's just that with that much angle a scratch is out of the question and low ball strikes lead to rattled balls on slight misses way more often than a rolling cue ball because you have to hit them harder.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not on that shot. a medium stroke center ball will be rolling by the time it hits the object ball.
That would a "stun-roll" shot.....lol. Not laughing at you..., just making light of this rather bloated thread about something so simple.

JC

Coos Cues
That would a "stun-roll" shot.....lol. Not laughing at you..., just making light of this rather bloated thread about something so simple.

Whatever you want to call it. Just saying using a stop shot is asking for trouble if the 9 makes any contact at all with the left rail on the way in even right at the point it's rattle city. At least on my diamond with dirty cloth. The speed required to stop the cue ball exceeds the speed at which the pocket is most forgiving. Three speed just shoot it in and let the cue ball die on the side rail or roll to the end rail if you hit it too high.

Looking at some of the replies here I have to disagree about how simple this shot is. Why on gods green earth would this shot require side?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To make the pocket as large as possible (effectively, not literally), you want full roll on the object ball when it gets to the pocket. That's especially true for pockets that rattle if you hit the near point. This limits the upper speed of the shot so that the OB will have time to roll.

I think a stun shot (no follow or draw at impact with the OB) is a bad idea as it makes unintended side spin more effective.

I'd shoot the shot at medium speed slightly above center. Medium speed in this case means that the cue ball will be rolling smoothly when it gets to the OB and will follow about 3 diamonds forward.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Whatever you want to call it. Just saying using a stop shot is asking for trouble if the 9 makes any contact at all with the left rail on the way in even right at the point it's rattle city. At least on my diamond with dirty cloth. The speed required to stop the cue ball exceeds the speed at which the pocket is most forgiving. Three speed just shoot it in and let the cue ball die on the side rail or roll to the end rail if you hit it too high.

Looking at some of the replies here I have to disagree about how simple this shot is. Why on gods green earth would this shot require side?
I completely agree, and I wouldn't hit a stop shot either. I don't want to incite more vitriol from Patrick so I won't go any further than to say I personally don't like the idea of taking a shot wherein the CB is merely rolling at point of contact. That said, I do it all the time, especially when playing 14.1. However those are situations for when it's called for.

The shot doesn't require any of the multiple perferences that have been suggested. My approach on CB control when shape doesn't matter is shoot firm, and strike low..., and when a cut is necessary add a 1/4 tip of outside. I'm just comfortable with it, and it suits the way I choose to aim. Nothing more, nothing less. Does doing that make it more complicated...? ...not when it's your default. No fuss no muss

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To make the pocket as large as possible (effectively, not literally), you want full roll on the object ball when it gets to the pocket. That's especially true for pockets that rattle if you hit the near point. This limits the upper speed of the shot so that the OB will have time to roll.

I think a stun shot (no follow or draw at impact with the OB) is a bad idea as it makes unintended side spin more effective.
Here we go with the "science" again... :)
I'd shoot the shot at medium speed slightly above center. Medium speed in this case means that the cue ball will be rolling smoothly when it gets to the OB and will follow about 3 diamonds forward.
Yup.

pj
chgo

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Drum roll please. The correct answer finally appears.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stun shot
firm enough to make it
You're contradicting yourself here. A dead center stun shot at that distance has to be hit firmer than 'firm enough to make it.' I think you may be either making a few assumptions about what the pro really meant, or that pro isn't a pro at all. No pro in their right mind would hit that shot as game ball that hard.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fran
i will have to ask him next time more specifically what he meant by center ball
yes i was extrapolating/assuming
my bad

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make the pocket as large as possible (effectively, not literally), you want full roll on the object ball when it gets to the pocket. That's especially true for pockets that rattle if you hit the near point.......
Which is exactly what a kill shot accomplishes with the added bonus of a full stroke by the shooter (a non-dog stroke) and the cb going nowhere. (I'll tell ya --- you guys are stubborn. :) )

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which is exactly what a kill shot accomplishes with the added bonus of a full stroke by the shooter (a non-dog stroke) and the cb going nowhere. (I'll tell ya --- you guys are stubborn. :) )
You seem to be talking about the cue ball arriving at the object ball with no follow or draw. Is that right?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You seem to be talking about the cue ball arriving at the object ball with no follow or draw. Is that right?
Doesn't matter --- if the hit is soft as with a kill shot. By the way, I've shared my definition of the kill shot at least 3 times here. Obviously you didn't read them which is precisely my point about the scientific community rejecting without trying to understand.

Last edited: