How Would You Shoot This?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Crusty? Do you mean like a crustacean?

View attachment 362047

Or maybe you meant like a clown? Like I'm here to make you laugh? What's so funny about me?

View attachment 362048

Do I walk funny? Do I talk funny? What's so f*cking funny about me?:):grin::thumbup:

View attachment 362049

We know many in the poolrooms who were called one thing or another and that's the only way we knew them:wink:. For example "Plastic":eek:.

ONB
Take it easy, buddy....I'm just trying to work my way through college.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Pretty obvious that a lot of players on here don't know or understand the shot. I suggest trying it on a pool table and reporting back.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty obvious that a lot of players on here don't know or understand the shot. I suggest trying it on a pool table and reporting back.

I just did, made it on the 2nd try...though I know my home table pretty durn well.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw with left english is what Buddy used. You can see it, and the commentators even said it. The shot can be made with draw or follow or middle cb. The reason for using draw is so that the cb has follow when it comes off the rail. If you use follow, the cb will have draw drag coming off the rail. Left spin is what causes the cb to curve back in. Using no english will only put follow or draw on the cb after contact with the bottom rail. It won't change the angle much at all.

I have shot shots like this many times. It looks very impressive, but really is not that hard at all. If you aren't familiar with this shot, work with it for ten minutes. You will add a new "escape" to your arsenal.

I don't think there is any follow, really. Definitely none by the time it travels 8.5 ft.

After the hook ,it is just rolling.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is any follow, really. Definitely none by the time it travels 8.5 ft.

After the hook ,it is just rolling.

I was referring to when it initially comes off the rail, If the cb is hit with follow, it will come off the raw with reverse, or draw, slowing the cb down. You want the cb to come off the rail with follow, not draw. Which means you have to put draw on the cb when you hit it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
9 o'clock horizontal cue ball, with butt of cue Low to lessen inside English grab on rail, and punch it to the short bottom rail and back. I'd probably aim two balls to the left of pocket nose. I'm sure this has been said already....didn't read a single response before this post. But that's how I see the shot. After that it's all about speed and your ability to feel the grab vs spin/speed release aspect of the shot, and ya don't want to scratch. :thumbup:

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member

Could you be as so kind to point them out, just wanna make sure were on the same page. I understand what Buddy done, all I said is, this isn't the only way it can be done.
Am I wrong? I have a table and yes its obvious some just don't get it.

To each there own, auf wiedersehen. :smile:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are hooked and shooting the 3 ball.

View attachment 362014

View attachment 362015

Without looking at the rest of the post, knowing the table conditions must be slick this is a

1) standard one rail to the short rail with inside or

2) the two railer long then short digging with low left . I like this one. It double checks (no discounts) and should arc around making the object ball pretty big.

If those balls weren't in the center of the table, then it's a standard double the corner (choose your kicking system).

Freddie <~~~ shot it once... and must have missed

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Calm down there, buddy. No need to bust out the Kung-fu English.. You are scaring the pro players. In fact, Kung fu English is the reason pro players don't post here for long. And it is why pool, as a sport is in the gutter. And it is why blownus ball failed, plus it is the cause if the well known and always sad thing that we

The pro way to shoot the shot would include draw ,IMO...though if you want the cb to stay near where it hits the 3, draw would probably not be the way to go.

So, the jump is definitely the best chance for the win.

I march no longer- I'm done with war.

My bad, sorry.:)

The pro way to shoot a shot?? How about the right way, your way. :)
I've never walk up to a shot and thought, how would a PRO shoot this. YOU?:smile:

The war is done.. you guys win. Bunch of bullies anyways.:p

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
These little quizes are nice.

Because a player plays it their way it does not mean it is the right way. Pros also take dumb shots. Just listen to commentators and you will see how they may call options and the players chooses the lower percentage shot.

If they make the shot the entire pool world is in awe, what a shot, what a player, go check you tube at 22:85.

If they miss the shot, or play a shot the best way for them as they see it, the entire pool says what a dumb shot that was. Either a hero or a zero.

Put different racks with different options in each rack and I will bet 10 players (with ball in hand)do not play it the same way.

If Archer played something different here than Buddy ,many would say, he is Johnny Archer, he played it the right way, he is a pro.

That was a great shot from Buddy, today he is a hero.

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
How do you know? :confused:

From the average players I see in league's around here, or in local bar tourneys, its an educated guess. The long rail kick, again, for the avg. player is going against the natural path of the cue ball. They don't fully comprehend what inside/outside english does to whitey.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot can be made with low inside, but middle left will get the job done. If I needed to bend the cue ball around a couple of balls or had a big angle, I'd definitely go with low left.

I shoot these shots with low to get a better incoming angle at the object ball. Like a bank shot where you bend the object ball to get a bigger pocket.

Best,
Mike

Proofsc

More than a Ball Banger
Silver Member
first you jump the ball, if you cant do that you can try the short rail with inside to come back down but thats a hard shot. also you can push the four up to the 3 tieing them up or tie up another set of balls. personally the jump is the best shot but if not im tieing something up.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My bad, sorry.:)

The pro way to shoot a shot?? How about the right way, your way. :)
I've never walk up to a shot and thought, how would a PRO shoot this. YOU?:smile:

The war is done.. you guys win. Bunch of bullies anyways.:p

Thats funny… I often approach the table and ask myself what would a "PRO" do in this situation… When you watch them play enough you start to realize that there are some shots that have multiple approaches that are based on preference. You can also see that certain players have certain preferences.. You also start to notice that one of the things that distinguishes players in terms of rankings PRO,Short Stop, AAA, AA, etc….. is there level of decision making. There are times when there are right shots and there are times when there are wrong shots. Learning the difference here in my opinion is something that can really help someone get better at this game.

the Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two quick thoughts

1. I wonder if you can rank individuals skill level based on reading their responses to these types of questions. In other words, can you read some posts and say… "thats definitely a C player"….

2. I wonder if the answers would read differently if the question was… "What would you do from here if you were hill-hill playing a race for 1000.00…"…. I think that is the best way to really find out what people think is the best way to play the shot…

Two quick thoughts

1. I wonder if you can rank individuals skill level based on reading their responses to these types of questions. In other words, can you read some posts and say… "thats definitely a C player"….

2. I wonder if the answers would read differently if the question was… "What would you do from here if you were hill-hill playing a race for 1000.00…"…. I think that is the best way to really find out what people think is the best way to play the shot…

You answered your 1st question by asking the 2nd question.

ONB

Hall did kick one rail at the 3 ball and he hit it flawlessly.

333.jpg

444.jpg

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Could you be as so kind to point them out, just wanna make sure were on the same page. I understand what Buddy done, all I said is, this isn't the only way it can be done.
Am I wrong? I have a table and yes its obvious some just don't get it.

To each there own, auf wiedersehen. :smile:

It's not just you, it's obviously a lot of people who don't quite understand the cue ball action here. On certain tables with soft cushions you may be able to reverse a cueball this much without draw, but bending a kick shot is not about sidespin. It's all about draw.

In a few moments, I'm going to put up a series of pics from the video to show what I'm talking about.

Last edited: