Hustlers Week 2: Episodes 3 & 4 Thread

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just play. It's certainly a lighter environment than someone betting their own money. They talk smack and whatnot but there are no do overs. They really keep the money if they win so they're all actually trying to win. They will talk to one another so I guess they could be getting advice when they're not shooting, but there are no coaches unless that was part of the agreed game.

I wasn't there for all of the matching up but the ones I saw, they were trying to beat each other to get money.

The guy saying it's like WWF wresting… I can see why he would think that but it's not. It's not as serious as a TAR match but nobody is falling down either.

Thanks for you input about this.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
100% agree

Bergman gave Jeanette Lee the 6 ball. Jeanette is probably the most experienced female gambler in the country (I'm sure someone will mention someone else but she is right up there). And Bergman can pocket balls with the best of them but his break is no where near that of SVB. Obviously Kelly plays better than Jeanette but the comparison of the overall game is similar.

Emily might be a great person - I don't know her from Adam (or in this case Eve). And I would say that she is only speaking of herself the way she does cause of the show, but previously on here and on Facebook she views herself as a top pro, so be it. There is no tour, there is no WPBA so she can call herself whatever she wants. If she does really gamble, all I can think is that she must get out of line quite often. All the players in NYC should be hoping she makes a mint off of this show.

As to the show, it is bout what I expected. The producers obviously came up with 'the list' to have some drama to it all. Just like Storage Wars posts who profits the most, the shipping show has the same, fishing shows, gold in the ocean, pawn stars and pickers even keep track somewhat, etc. etc. They all keep some count. I just think the producers should have known that the core watchers - pool players - would question it so maybe they should have said Top 5 players at Steinways. Hell they show Gary go to another room and play a close match with Justin so shouldn't Justin be Top 5 if Gary was #1 at one time. But for the show to be successful, it has to draw in viewers outside of pool.

Anyways, can't wait to see more of Mikey. So far they haven't really shown his quick wit and his line of 'he needs one, and he needs every one' was cut short and would have made more sense and humor if the entire line was broadcast. Maybe when they show him on the table, they will let him have more dialogue. I would much rather listen to that then Ross and Amy during a birthday dinner.

So far DeChaine has come off the best on camera and seems very comfortable with it.

And like I said on Facebook, bring back AC in Season 2.

Word....they gotta let me get some shine sooner or later!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They just play. It's certainly a lighter environment than someone betting their own money. They talk smack and whatnot but there are no do overs. They really keep the money if they win so they're all actually trying to win. They will talk to one another so I guess they could be getting advice when they're not shooting, but there are no coaches unless that was part of the agreed game.

I wasn't there for all of the matching up but the ones I saw, they were trying to beat each other to get money.

The guy saying it's like WWF wresting… I can see why he would think that but it's not. It's not as serious as a TAR match but nobody is falling down either.

Thanks for the info about how they do the show, explains why they are betting so much all the time, I doubt many of them will be putting up 500-2,000 of their own money. I was actually wondering why the bet amounts were so high for some random players.

fish on

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great for the series and for pool!
Appearances and publicity on national news doesn't come cheap so someone is putting some serious weight behind the show.

Good for Jenn and Mike!
great job on fox show today ty for sharing!