I heard John Schmidt ran a 407 last week, then 434 just today. Any confirmation?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Seems weird, I hear this on social media but not on John Schmidt's page. Does he not post anywhere anymore? I would think he'd want to post about runs like this :eek:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems weird, I hear this on social media but not on John Schmidt's page. Does he not post anywhere anymore? I would think he'd want to post about runs like this :eek:

He posted it on facebook

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty good, on Dec 3rd he ran 109,434 balls :). My high run is only 76, and it's always a miss on an easy shot, a concentration thing. I'd sure like to get some 14.1 lessons from John!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
400 is a brutal ass number on a 9 foot diamond with 4.5 or smaller pockets.

My high runs 156 and that was pure tourcher. I can only imagine what the pressure would be like at those numbers.

A very, very big thumbs up to John.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It is so wild and ironic what happened with the cue ball hitting a piece of chalk and causing a scratch at 434. John always tries to keep the table and balls in perfect condition when he plays. He usually cleans all the balls during a long run and cleans the cue ball quite frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
400 is a brutal ass number on a 9 foot diamond with 4.5 or smaller pockets.

My high runs 156 and that was pure tourcher. I can only imagine what the pressure would be like at those numbers.

A very, very big thumbs up to John.

is john shooting on a 4.5 or small diamond? I read somewhere else (here?) that he liked a different table with slightly bigger pockets.
anyway, 400+ balls on just about any table is quite an achievement. being on 434 and hitting a piece of chalk would suckk

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all,

For all of our benefit, and I am sure it will generate further discussion, has John posted what the table spec's are?

If John is taking a run at 527, it will forever be compared with the table Mosconi played on. If anyone can do it, John can. I'm pulling for him.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think that someone posted the specs in a different thread. It's not a name brand table, new cloth, and at least 5 inch pockets I believe. If he's getting a big bonus to run big numbers, I can't say that I blame him. Hopefully someone will confirm the exact specs.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just up there and witnessed the 407. The 434 happened today. Both runs were recorded. It’s a Rebco 9 foot table with I believe Simonis 860 cloth and 5 inch pockets. Tough weather conditions with humidity up in Monterey California. It has drop pockets s.

Last edited:

howaboutnever

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope John can get there....but I saw Mosconi lose to Onfrio Lauri (Lauri ran 125 and
out at Julians’ on 14 st. in nyc 1960)...say hello to Danny Barooooooty and Jeff “santa”
Lundell.....merry Xmas. Love,VR

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just up there and witnessed the 407. The 434 happened today. Both runs were recorded. It’s a Rebco 9 foot table with I believe Simonis 860 cloth and 5 inch pockets. Tough weather conditions with humidity up in Monterey California. It has drop pockets s.

Thanks for clearing up table specs.

Table specs etc, etc is important but not a huge deal IMO, eventhough, some thinks it matters a lot.

If John played nothing but str8 pool, by himself, doing nothing but going for high-runs for a few months instead of just a few days/weeks, I believe he would be very capable of getting close to or even breaking the legend's record.

Willie's record was not a product of playing this game this week, another type game the next and yet another type game the next and so-on.

Yes, he played all games very, very, very well and that's an understatement for the greatest str8 pool player to ever live IMO, just to give a slight idea of respect I have for Willie M.

Having said that, like a lot of other people, I feel that Willie played more str8 pool in any one year of his active career than John S. has his entire life and that, to me, is a huge edge against someone like John beating Willie's record given the fact he has to do it in such a short time.

EITHER WAY, I am extremely happy to even hear this news.

John,

Please, by all means, if you do not mind please post the high run, regardless of results. It would be a pleasure to watch this happen.

Rake

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s the backstory on this? It sounds like someone is paying John to attempt to break the record? All I know (read) is what is in this thread. Does anyone know the rest of the story?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is john shooting on a 4.5 or small diamond? I read somewhere else (here?) that he liked a different table with slightly bigger pockets.
anyway, 400+ balls on just about any table is quite an achievement. being on 434 and hitting a piece of chalk would suckk

I witnessed him running 200+ several times on a 9' diamond with 4.5 pockets.

I.....lol...... assumed it was the same today. Oh well, I was, as usual..... wrong.

I'm with ya on the its quite an achievement regardless of equipment.

I played str8 pool for 5 weeks, playing around 4 hours a day and did real good to put up 156.

It just amazes me how anyone can run 300, 400, 500+ balls.

Damn at the concentration that must take.

The day I run my measly 156 I thought I 2as gonna have a nervous breakdown and I remember feeling RELIEVED after it was over.

Rake

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I witnessed him running 200+ several times on a 9' diamond with 4.5 pockets.

I.....lol...... assumed it was the same today. Oh well, I was, as usual..... wrong.

I'm with ya on the its quite an achievement regardless of equipment.

I played str8 pool for 5 weeks, playing around 4 hours a day and did real good to put up 156.

It just amazes me how anyone can run 300, 400, 500+ balls.

Damn at the concentration that must take.

The day I run my measly 156 I thought I 2as gonna have a nervous breakdown and I remember feeling RELIEVED after it was over.

Rake

haha..it's all relative, isn't it? that said, 156 sounds pretty sporty to me!

<<<---"high run, what's that?"
:D

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
for it to be official it really needs to be done during a time and place the public can be there. and on an independent table not set up for the purpose of running the balls.

and remember mosconi rarely ever tried to make a worlds high run. he had exhibitions where he kept shooting and many times quit because he got tired and wasnt getting paid anymore for shooting.
and in tournaments the shooting stops when you win the game. so in effect mosconi had not many chances to run the long standing worlds record.

and also not easy for someone to have an opportunity to break it.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for it to be official it really needs to be done during a time and place the public can be there. and on an independent table not set up for the purpose of running the balls.

and remember mosconi rarely ever tried to make a worlds high run. he had exhibitions where he kept shooting and many times quit because he got tired and wasnt getting paid anymore for shooting.
and in tournaments the shooting stops when you win the game. so in effect mosconi had not many chances to run the long standing worlds record.

You make all valid points but, the fact that Willie played str8 pool almost every day, to me, makes it fair game for someone that has not played str8 pool nonstop for years on end.

Again, I know where your coming from, it's just that after playing 1hole for weeks and then 10 ball etc...etc.. and then "get a chance" to play str8 pool and be told to break the freakishly made record in little to no time is well, just mind boggling to me in every way if he even gets close.

Sure, Willie's equipment was a lot different but that difference was, a lot of times, much easier than today's tables.

Again, to me, it's a VERY, VERY tall order to be told to try and break that record.

There's a lot of reasons why that record still stands. One of the biggest reasons is because, well.... its almost impossible unless we dig Willie up.

Rake

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Get over yourself!
Jason

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member

You know, after thinking about it some more, I think John should have found a Brunswick to play on with 5 inch pockets and new cloth. If he beats Mosconi's record, there will be a long line of people that will proclaim that he only ran that many because it was on a Rebco. (I have never heard of a Rebco table and it's only a guess, but I bet that the shelves are not very deep? ) If Mosconi ran 526 on a Brunswick, that's the brand table I would attempt the runs on, since nobody would think to question the run -- at least based on the brand of table.

_______

Last edited: