I just beat Earl Strickland in 2 games of nine ball.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went over to a pool hall called Breakroom billiards.I payed money to watch Earl Strickland and Shane Van Boening play pool. Shane won by the way. Anywho after the game Earl was doing a challenge the pro. So I payed 20 more dollars and challenged him to 2 games of nine ball.

The first game I broke and did not make any on the break. Then Earl made the 1 ball and missed the 2 ball. So I hit the 2 ball aiming for the nine ball in the corner pocket. I missed that. Then Earl made the 2 ball and missed the 3 ball. I hit the 3 ball into the 4 ball into the 9 ball and won the first game.

The second game I broke again I might have made a ball on the break I can not remember. But then it was Earls turn. He made the balls up to the 7 ball. So I then made the seven ball and then hit the 8 ball in and the cue ball hit the 9 ball and the 9 ball made it into a pocket and I won the second game.

Just so we are all clear I won on luck and not skill at all.

I think I will start playing nine ball.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The king is dead. Long live the king!

Get this player on the Mosconi Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
So I went over to a pool hall called Breakroom billiards.I payed money to watch Earl Strickland and Shane Van Boening play pool. Shane won by the way. Anywho after the game Earl was doing a challenge the pro. So I payed 20 more dollars and challenged him to 2 games of nine ball.

The first game I broke and did not make any on the break. Then Earl made the 1 ball and missed the 2 ball. So I hit the 2 ball aiming for the nine ball in the corner pocket. I missed that. Then Earl made the 2 ball and missed the 3 ball. I hit the 3 ball into the 4 ball into the 9 ball and won the first game.

The second game I broke again I might have made a ball on the break I can not remember. But then it was Earls turn. He made the balls up to the 7 ball. So I then made the seven ball and then hit the 8 ball in and the cue ball hit the 9 ball and the 9 ball made it into a pocket and I won the second game.

Do you think Earl may have let you win? If so, that's known as an "Efren". That's OK. They sometimes gives us amateurs a chance to make us look and feel good.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

After you beat him did you get your $20 back or did he stiff you? I just want to know if he's good for it if I get a chance to play him. Thanks

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think Earl may have let you win? If so, that's known as an "Efren". That's OK. They sometimes gives us amateurs a chance to make us look and feel good.

With all those trick shot combinations and caroms, I think Earl was maybe the underdog.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

Congrats,

You sound a lot like a fine young man by the name Travis that posted here quite often.

He was very proud when he beat his daddy playing eight ball.

Keep playing.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If it was just the first game or such I would have said yes but I am not sure. Before me an 11 year old played earl and he beat him on the first game. Earl then said the game is all luck. Also when Shane beat him he was complaining about how shane racked the balls crooked.

So out side of luck on my part. Earl probably was tired and not playing to well.

After you beat him did you get your $20 back or did he stiff you? I just want to know if he's good for it if I get a chance to play him. Thanks

No he kept the money.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it was just the first game or such I would have said yes but I am not sure. Before me an 11 year old played earl and he beat him on the first game. Earl then said the game is all luck. Also when Shane beat him he was complaining about how shane racked the balls crooked.

So out side of luck on my part. Earl probably was tired and not playing to well.

No he kept the money.

That's what I thought. He should have at least given you a T-Shirt that said "I beat Earl Strickland!"

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Good for you for stepping up.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

It definitely sounds like the genuine "Earl the Pearl" Jaime. He's a living legend. Don't believe him that Shane was racking crooked, something is always wrong (and it's usually in his head). The day he stops complaining is the day we should start worrying.

Congratulations for having the courage to step up. Never miss a chance to play a champion for cheap - it's going to always be among your best memories in pool. I hope you got a picture with Earl.

How was Shane's game looking? He's playing Orcullo in a few weeks and there will be some betting on it right here.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody like Strickland who had the world is just trying to save some PR. I imagine the payouts and collections remain in order.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
your paying 20 bucks to get to play him not gambling with him. he lets players get shots otherwise who would play him as its just watching then.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did you complain 'cause you didn't get to hit enough balls for your $20??

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
giphy.gif

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Jamie must feel like the kid walking the County Fair Grounds with the biggest balloon on a string, all smiles. Then some nasty kids stick his Jack Knife Blade into the Balloon, Boon, and the smiles disappears.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Massey

I watched Mike Massey playing eight ball for a few hours in the same format although you did get a signed pool ball for winning. On Olhausen home tables Mike was way over 90% to run his seven balls his first trip to the table. He was a choking son of a gun on the eight ball though. He hooked himself and missed the eight every game! Come to think about it, I never saw him miss the eight on his second try though.

This was at a benefit for Katrina victims so it has been awhile but Mike can still dab them pretty fair. In over two hours of play I saw him miss twice. We don't get along but I have to say Mike did have a heart. Three young men were working towards entire sets of balls with Mike's signature and he did cut price to them from ten bucks a try to three after a little bit.

Earl probably just can't cut the mustard anymore!

Hu

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
We don't get along but I have to say Mike did have a heart.

Not to change the subject here, but I would like to know (in general) what the source of friction was between you and Mike. I've always found him to be a pretty easy going guy, religious.