I lied about my pockets...

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to apologize for lying about my pocket size. My corners are 3 and 7/8 on the outside, but my side pockets are about 4 and 3/8 inches on the outside, not 4 and 1/8 like I have been claiming. I must be losing my mind! While I'd like to think I can play just as well without that extra quarter inch, that is just wishful thinking until I'm doing it, lol. I'm sorry if any pool tables or players were harmed by my bull#$@.

Maybe I'll try adding another shim to the sides next time. Maybe not. I know, shimming pockets by adding soft rubber facings is stupid according to the AZ Master Table Mechanics Union. But if you'll notice the fourth and fifth pictures from the bottom at this link below from the hot to measure pockets thread, you'll see it is good enough for a world champion (that apparently can't find a decent table mechanic) even if it's missing a shim or a facing (those don't look like real facings on the outside) like his.

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/article.php?sid=929&mode=thread&order=0

I am sure his table plays, "quite good", even if it is way too loose for my taste.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
I'd like to apologize for lying about my pocket size. My corners are 3 and 7/8 on the outside, but my side pockets are about 4 and 3/8 inches on the outside, not 4 and 1/8 like I have been claiming. I must be losing my mind! While I'd like to think I can play just as well without that extra quarter inch, that is just wishful thinking until I'm doing it, lol. I'm sorry if any pool tables or players were harmed by my bull#$@.

Maybe I'll try adding another shim to the sides next time. Maybe not. I know, shimming pockets by adding soft rubber facings is stupid according to the AZ Master Table Mechanics Union. But if you'll notice the fourth and fifth pictures from the bottom at this link below from the hot to measure pockets thread, you'll see it is good enough for a world champion (that apparently can't find a decent table mechanic) even if it's missing a shim or a facing (those don't look like real facings on the outside) like his.

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/article.php?sid=929&mode=thread&order=0

I am sure his table plays, "quite good", even if it is way too loose for my taste.

Tight corners I can deal with. They demand accuracy but if properly cut, don't take away shots (they take away cheating the pocket for position). But excessively tight side pockets, anything less than 4.5", ruin a table in my opinion. They take away a lot of shots and make banks really difficult. I had a table with sides that tight and had them cut larger the next time.

My corners are 4" now at the points but my sides are 5" at the points tapering to 4 1/4" at the pocket. I consider that optimum for both 9 ball and straight pool, plus they bank well. They are still relatively tight.

If you tighten your sides any further, you'll probably regret it.

Chris

YaktyYak

Pool Player
Silver Member
Time to gather the mob with pitchforks and torches, time for a lynching!
HaHa, j/k

-Kyle

YaktyYak

Pool Player
Silver Member
TATE said:
Tight corners I can deal with. They demand accuracy but if properly cut, don't take away shots (they take away cheating the pocket for position). But excessively tight side pockets, anything less than 4.5", ruin a table in my opinion. They take away a lot of shots and make banks really difficult. I had a table with sides that tight and had them cut larger the next time.

My corners are 4" now at the points but my sides are 5" at the points tapering to 4 1/4" at the pocket. I consider that optimum for both 9 ball and straight pool, plus they bank well. They are still relatively tight.

If you tighten your sides any further, you'll probably regret it.

Chris

I would agree with that BTW. Makes tight cuts in the side near impossible.

YaktyYak

Pool Player
Silver Member
Neil said:
I have 4 1/8" side pockets. It is a vally table, so the shelf is close. But, I have scratched from one diamond in on the short rail! If you look at it from there, you can't even see the pocket. I have found that tight sides increased my pocketing ability into them.

For some reason a cue ball is 10 times more acceptable to pocket than an object ball.:confused: :smile:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
even with the old big barbox cue ball

YaktyYak said:
For some reason a cue ball is 10 times more acceptable to pocket than an object ball.:confused: :smile:

That happened even with the old big barbox cue balls. No doubt one of Murphy's laws of physics.

As for Unknownpro, he needs to say two Our Fathers and three Hail Marys and then tighten the side pockets to 3-7/8 as penance for making us think they were a quarter inch smaller than they really were. Has he no shame or human decency?? Confession is the first step on the path of righteousness so I guess he is traveling towards the light. There is some hope for him. :wink:

Hu

eyesjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mmmkay...

because off the bottom rail.. natural roll to the rail is top...hitting a ball adds sidespin...the trip back uptable the top into the rail is now draw, with quite a bit of sidespin from the collision induced english......
YaktyYak said:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Huh?:confused:

eyesjr said:
because off the bottom rail.. natural roll to the rail is top...hitting a ball adds sidespin...the trip back uptable the top into the rail is now draw, with quite a bit of sidespin from the collision induced english......

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Unknownpro has fallen from his pedestal :eek:

What am I to do now in my quest for a hero? I am crestfallen.

I guess I'll have to rely on :groucho: ..... I always liked his values. :rolleyes: (you know... "I'd never join a club that would accept me as a member")

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Had a good laugh with this!
And I kid you not!

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

YaktyYak said:
Time to gather the mob with pitchforks and torches, time for a lynching!
HaHa, j/k

-Kyle

eyesjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From jibberish to english...

All I am saying is that side pocket scratches happen mostly because the player forgets the curved path the cueball takes - In the following diagram people tend to see straight lines off the ball and think geometry:D -when physics has more to do with it!:angry: It is easy to forget that the top center you put on the one trying to get to the two turns into Masse off the rail here:confused: ---right at the pocket. :angry: And on the delicate shots it happens as well(when you LEAST expect it:confused: )The probability is if you are above a ball near the bottom rail and not on a wide angle, You can scratch!! :eek:k:
Tony_in_MD said:

CueTable Help

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAGB1BATR3...kNQa1kNQa1kMSS1kMCK1kLEG1kKGL1kJhT1kJxa4kLKn@

CueTable Help

Last edited: