I need any free working aim system

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
It was a joke. I was filling in for duckie.

Now there was an aiming system.... A ball without edges and an arrow.
I wondered where you'd put the arrow if you couldn't see the ball edge,
or know if a ball you're aiming at was round, if it actually had no edges. :rolleyes:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Assuming you estimate correctly where the fraction is, and how far from that you have to aim to hit the contact point.

I haven't done that in quite a while.

Yes, just like you have to accurately determine (estimate) from that POV exactly where to send the CB with fractions.

I believe contact point aiming is a superior learning method, if only because you're focused on the actual target you're trying to hit - not an estimated fraction that's some estimated distance from it. Both rely on estimations, but one starts with the target - the other doesn't.

pj
chgo

When using fractional aim points the contact point is insignificant. You see the shot, you aim through the cb to the correct fractional aim point needed to pocket the ball....no contact points involved in the process. The target isn't the contact point, it's the fractional aim point or vertical slice of ob at which you are sending center cb. Naturally the edge of the cb will strike the ob at the contact point, but all that matters is that aim line through ccb to get the cb where it needs to be.

With traditional fractional aiming, I agree with you -- it's guesswork, and it takes a long time to develop any skill at estimating the fractional aim point. That's why I wrote my book. It speedlines all that guesswork by giving you the fractional aim point without having to rely on guesstimation or years of experience. That's a hell of a jumpstart for anyone wishing to learn how to pocket balls with consistency in a much quicker time frame than using traditional fractions, contact points, or ghostball.

If this sounds like a sales pitch, it's because it is. But it's also the truth.:thumbup:

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Did you cop the theme "poolology" from Jack White?

No, but he is one of my favorite guitarists. A couple of years ago my daughter was looking at college curriculums, and I thought then I'd title my book "Poolology 101". But my daughter said to drop the 101.

I had never seen the Poolology term used anywhere until after I copyrighted the book and joined AZ then saw that Scott Lee or some other instructor uses "poolology" as his email. It's like when you buy a new car and afterwards see that dozens of people in your area have the same car, same make, same color, but you never noticed it until you bought yours. Lol

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was a joke. I was filling in for duckie.

Also pretty funny how you guys complain about this turning into a CTE thread (which, BTW, it isn't by any means) and it turns out that the guy who calls himself Lowenstein was the first to bring up CTE in post 22. :p:p:p

I haven't complained at all, but i do have a headache now that you mentioned "duckie"

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Yes it does... But aiming at ball fractions gives a visual where your CB will deflect if using side spin.

Yes it does but its not as useful as it could be unless you know what your shaft
will do and understand how to measure and use the different distances between the
cue ball and object ball.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Yes it does but its not as useful as it could be unless you know what your shaft
will do and understand how to measure and use the different distances between the
cue ball and object ball.

I believe that's the reason the term HAMB originated. :grin:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
How does it do that?

pj
chgo

Depends on the shot. You can aim at one fractional line and deflect toward the next.
Easy to say.....Harder to explain. Anyone who drives a stick shift can tell you how to
drive one, but you need to get in and drive. A violin player can tell you how to play it
but, you need to run the bow across the strings.. In either case you need to practice.

I'm sure you do the same thing by aiming to hit contact points, if you need to deflect.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Depends on the shot. You can aim at one fractional line and deflect toward the next.
Easy to say.....Harder to explain. Anyone who drives a stick shift can tell you how to
drive one, but you need to get in and drive. A violin player can tell you how to play it
but, you need to run the bow across the strings.. In either case you need to practice.

I'm sure you do the same thing by aiming to hit contact points, if you need to deflect.

You mean it tells you which direction the CB will deflect? Like "the opposite direction from the spin you're applying"...?

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You mean it tells you which direction the CB will deflect? Like "the opposite direction from the spin you're applying"...?

pj
chgo

Not sure, but maybe he simply means this: Let's say you know you need to hit a 1/2 ball shot in order to pocket the ob in the right corner pocket, but you also must use inside/right spin for cb position. Knowing your cue and how much it deflects, you aim straight through the right side of the cb, 1 tip right of center, to the 3/4 aim (a quarter thicker than 1/2 ball). The cb will deflect/squirt left and you'll end up with a 1/2 ball hit. Different cues deflect differently of course, so maybe you only need to aim 1/8 thicker. You have to know your cue.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Not sure, but maybe he simply means this: Let's say you know you need to hit a 1/2 ball shot in order to pocket the ob in the right corner pocket, but you also must use inside/right spin for cb position. Knowing your cue and how much it deflects, you aim straight through the right side of the cb, 1 tip right of center, to the 3/4 aim (a quarter thicker than 1/2 ball). The cb will deflect/squirt left and you'll end up with a 1/2 ball hit. Different cues deflect differently of course, so maybe you only need to aim 1/8 thicker. You have to know your cue.

What you say is close to what I was saying. Although it's possible to deflect 1/4 ball, I won't.
It's hard to control that much deflection. 1/8 ball (1 fraction line) or less is what I can control.

Low off center inside kills the CB drift. High off center swerves the CB in the direction it's hit.

phcore

Registered
a lot offtop in this thread but i saw some useful info, someone said shoot recognition is key, i agree. can you tell me how to recognise shot correctly, what are your methods etc?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In other words, compensating for squirt is done, as usual, using your experience-based judgment - whether you aim using fractional references or some other way is irrelevant.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
a lot offtop in this thread but i saw some useful info, someone said shoot recognition is key, i agree. can you tell me how to recognise shot correctly, what are your methods etc?

Repetition. Traditionally you just have to estimate where the cb needs to be in order to pocket the ob. It doesn't matter what method you use (ghostball, contact points, fractions, cte, etc...), the more you do it the better you get at it. For most it takes a long time before any consistency is noticed, because most players guesstimate poorly when starting out, repeating more missed shots than made shots. And without enough practice or quality table time, many players reach a certain average skill level and remain there.

Miisses could be due to stroke issues or poor aiming estimations. This is where a good system is very handy, one that provides a correct aim line without having to rely on guesstimations or repetitive experience. If you know exactly where to send the cb (based on the system, not on your inexperience), then any misses can be attributed to stroke-related issues. It doesn't do much good to know the aim line if you can't deliver the stroke needed to consistently send the cb down that line.

For quicker shot recognition, the aim line should be known, not guesstimated. Visualize the aim line, step into this line and bring your cue right into it, from bridge hand to grip hand, lined straight through the cb. Visualize exactly where the cb will be when it strikes the ob. This is the cb-ob relationship, which is what you want to start recognizing. Paying attention to how it feels, how it looks, and to the results you get, is how you develop shot recognition.

Of course, this includes playing position also. Part of each shot involves cb control, not just pocketing the ob, and the important thing to know here is how your specific cue affects the path of the cb when using english. If you have no idea then you're gonna struggle on shots when using left or right spin. Just remember that the primary goal is to produce the cb-ob relationship needed to pocket the ball.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
In other words, compensating for squirt is done, as usual, using your experience-based judgment - whether you aim using fractional references or some other way is irrelevant.

pj
chgo

Sure. Based on your experience with your specific cue. I believe RK was just saying that with fractions you can actually use a 1/8 or so fractional aim adjustment to compensate for english. From a farther distance you might use a 1/4 aim adjustment. It all depends on how well you know the effects of your cue stick deflection.

Last edited:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I earlier stated that shot recognition is the key. It's true no matter what aiming system you choose. Again, you have seen the shot, or similar shot recently. You played it accordingly, and saw the outcome. Maybe your system worked perfectly. You'll recognize that. Maybe you missed, or didn't get the shape you needed. You'll recognize that too. If you stay down on your shot and carefully watch the shot, the collision between the balls, the tangent line off the balls, you'll be able to recognize the outcome. You must stay down and pay attention to every detail until the balls stop rolling. Shot recognition thereby is burned into your memory bank for future reference. Missed balls will give you feedback if you stay down and pay attention.
This works for me for the same reason it will work for you. We learn from mistakes and from success. You must be concentrating on the outcome as well as the process. When you hit a million balls doing this, you will have recognition of not only the shot but also the outcome thereof.
The op asked for a free aiming system. My response then is any system that helps pocket balls. The key is to be able to recognize what happened last time that ball or shot came up...regardless of which system you use.