I think I've fallen in love

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started playing and LOVE it. I practice alone a lot and am kind of bored of racking 8 and 9 ball. I still suck at both but I needed a change. I've watched 14.1 a fair amount on youtube but it's always matches and I didn't even think to practice it alone until I seen someone mention bih break shot and go.

I played my first few games the other night, small cut in the side and run into the rack. I'm as terrible at this as I am at every other game of pool I've played with my high run of 11 but I'm having so much fun with it. It's fun to have a score to try to beat and a number to measure. I'll occasionally run in 8 and 9 ball and I know you can see how many racks you string and such but in 14.1 you have an actual number that you are trying to beat and it's easier to keep track of progress imo. :)

I'll be spending a lot of time around here looking for tips and tricks. :)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you. A cousin of 14.1 is equal offense, you might give that a try just for a change of scenery.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I just started playing and LOVE it. I practice alone a lot and am kind of bored of racking 8 and 9 ball. I still suck at both but I needed a change. I've watched 14.1 a fair amount on youtube but it's always matches and I didn't even think to practice it alone until I seen someone mention bih break shot and go.

I played my first few games the other night, small cut in the side and run into the rack. I'm as terrible at this as I am at every other game of pool I've played with my high run of 11 but I'm having so much fun with it. It's fun to have a score to try to beat and a number to measure. I'll occasionally run in 8 and 9 ball and I know you can see how many racks you string and such but in 14.1 you have an actual number that you are trying to beat and it's easier to keep track of progress imo. :)

I'll be spending a lot of time around here looking for tips and tricks. :)

Welcome Aboard !!

Lots of great stuff here in the 14.1 Forum, and a bunch of great players with a wealth of knowledge. feel free to post away and ask as many questions as you need answered.

we're all in this together, for the love of the game !!

-Steve

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the 14.1 section, Dockter.

Reading how you just started playing the great game of 14.1 and practice mostly alone, I thought I'd pass along two practice game choices that will definitely help develop some playing skills for your 14.1 game while promoting a little challenge and the ability to see how you are improving. Just an idea :)

Give FARGO and 10.5 Straight Rotation a go. Both games have a score keeping element to them which will allow you to track your games over time in a game logbook or journal. I have put together rule sheets and scorecards for both games that I'd be happy to email to you if you'd like by sending me a PM.

Enjoy the challenges ahead!

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Welcome to the 14.1 section, Dockter.

Reading how you just started playing the great game of 14.1 and practice mostly alone, I thought I'd pass along two practice game choices that will definitely help develop some playing skills for your 14.1 game while promoting a little challenge and the ability to see how you are improving. Just an idea :)

Give FARGO and 10.5 Straight Rotation a go. Both games have a score keeping element to them which will allow you to track your games over time in a game logbook or journal. I have put together rule sheets and scorecards for both games that I'd be happy to email to you if you'd like by sending me a PM.

Enjoy the challenges ahead!

Kerry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If love to read all about it... Sending PM

Steve

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, people are a lot more friendly on this side of the forum. :)

Thanks for the responses and special thanks to DmgWalsh for some great videos on 14.1. I watched the Rempe one and plan on watching the Sigel one tonight. I've already found some spots that I'm not making the right choices.

Also thank you K2Kraze. I can't wait to try Fargo and 10.5. I'm definitely going to throw these into practice. It's nice to find some other options than just drills and racking 8 and 9 ball. I tend to get bored and lose my focus after an hour or 2 and this will really help!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, people are a lot more friendly on this side of the forum. :)

You're a jerk and don't know what you're talking about.

Just didn't want you to go into shock transitioning from the other forum so quickly, like a fish in a new fish tank. :thumbup:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're a jerk and don't know what you're talking about.

Just didn't want you to go into shock transitioning from the other forum so quickly, like a fish in a new fish tank. :thumbup:

Lmao, thanks for that, I was about to go into shock. :) Now I'll give everyone something to make fun of me for.

I finally got out and recorded a couple games this week. I know you probably can't help much from the small sample size but if anyone wants to take a look and give any suggestions to someone with a high run of ten here you go. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI97RROM12w

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Lmao, thanks for that, I was about to go into shock. :) Now I'll give everyone something to make fun of me for.

I finally got out and recorded a couple games this week. I know you probably can't help much from the small sample size but if anyone wants to take a look and give any suggestions to someone with a high run of ten here you go. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI97RROM12w

If you were able to move the camera to the bottom of the table, we could see the layout easier.

When you got those balls open, it looked like you could finish the rack. I thought you were going to take the one right near your cue ball on the last shot you took. Then the bottom one and perhaps up above for the final three and a break shot. It looked like you had two balls near each other and both of them may have been break balls. hard to tell if they were and if they went from above.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice stroke!

I have a little nit pick I've mentioned before. When the pro's are trying for a high run at a high run challenge table, they set up an unmissable break shot to get the balls open to start. I don't think you should start your runs with the side pocket break shot.

The break shot is probably the most difficult shot in straight pool because of the added speed, added pressure, and it isn't always a nice easy shot anyway. I suggest you start every run with a regular side of the pack break shot, and occasionally change it up with a back of the rack, or other common break shot. At the very least, if you set up and break the balls 10 or 20 times in a practice session, that's 10 or 20 times a day that you've practiced the break shot. If you only use the break shot you showed in your video (and I'm not saying you use that break shot exclusively) then you don't get any practice at it.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice stroke!

I have a little nit pick I've mentioned before. When the pro's are trying for a high run at a high run challenge table, they set up an unmissable break shot to get the balls open to start. I don't think you should start your runs with the side pocket break shot.

The break shot is probably the most difficult shot in straight pool because of the added speed, added pressure, and it isn't always a nice easy shot anyway. I suggest you start every run with a regular side of the pack break shot, and occasionally change it up with a back of the rack, or other common break shot. At the very least, if you set up and break the balls 10 or 20 times in a practice session, that's 10 or 20 times a day that you've practiced the break shot. If you only use the break shot you showed in your video (and I'm not saying you use that break shot exclusively) then you don't get any practice at it.

Thanks Dan. You are correct about that being the main breakshot I use for the most part because it gives me the best spread. I then try all game to leave another ball close to the side because it's the main break I've tried. I'm going to take your advice and try other break shots so that I can take the easy shot in the side if I need to and know that I can still play a break from somewhere else.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Best run is 30 balls and I have gotten help since few years ago, I have gotten better but I just mess up the run.
But ya know what ? I have loved this game my entire life , about 40 years playing straight and I will get there once and make a 50 ball run !! ( I hope so ) :grin:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you were able to move the camera to the bottom of the table, we could see the layout easier.

When you got those balls open, it looked like you could finish the rack. I thought you were going to take the one right near your cue ball on the last shot you took. Then the bottom one and perhaps up above for the final three and a break shot. It looked like you had two balls near each other and both of them may have been break balls. hard to tell if they were and if they went from above.

I'll move the camera when I get out tomorrow and see if I can position it without the it being in the way of the table. I'll admit I do struggle with playing the right pattern at pretty much any game at this stage.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best run is 30 balls and I have gotten help since few years ago, I have gotten better but I just mess up the run.
But ya know what ? I have loved this game my entire life , about 40 years playing straight and I will get there once and make a 50 ball run !! ( I hope so ) :grin:

I hear you lol, I'm still trying to finish my first rack which is easy for a lot of you. I practice alone for 2-4 hours twice-three times a week and finding 14.1 has been a life saver. It gets boring drilling and shooting racks of 8 and 9 ball. Even in the short time of shooting 14.1 I can see it has helped my position play in 8 ball a ton.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I'll move the camera when I get out tomorrow and see if I can position it without the it being in the way of the table. I'll admit I do struggle with playing the right pattern at pretty much any game at this stage.

Just to get used to getting into the next rack, it might be helpful to throw about 4 balls out there. You can even set them up so that they are relatively easy for now. Make it so that all you have to do is make three of them and then you will be on your break shot. Then shoot the break shot and see what you can do. You can set up different standard 4 ball cosmos. Maybe you will get used to looking for them and seeing them in your regular play.

Take a look at the attached pdf which was part of a Tom Kollins seminar from many years ago if you are new to 14.1 and are wondering what break shot patterns should look like.

Last edited:

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to make sure I'm scoring right. When using a break shot I pot the ball and a ball out of the rack. That is 2 "points" correct? I know the ball stays down, I just wanted to double check that potted ball counts too.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just want to make sure I'm scoring right. When using a break shot I pot the ball and a ball out of the rack. That is 2 "points" correct? I know the ball stays down, I just wanted to double check that potted ball counts too.

As long as the ball you called goes in the pocket you called, any other balls that fall are counted, too.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the confirmation Dan. I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll be getting out again on Wednesday and record a couple more, hopefully from the bottom of the table.