I want to see a shotmaking competition

That's why I think ring games and no safety seven ball is so fun to watch. If I was promoting pool I would not allow safeties to be on tv. I mean come on. America doesn't understand safety play.
 
I agree... Two Shot Rollout was a real game to watch. PLUS, both players were always in the game. No Ball-in-Hand to give a player a huge advantage.

Add that to 10-Ball & you have a world class game.
 
I dunno, I'd get bored seeing guys just try thin cuts or whatever. Like trickshot magic without the trickshot. I'd rather see an actual game. Rollout 9b or 10b with top pros sounds like it could be interesting, or a 9b ring game.

But what you get with the safety battles are good kicks, and nothing comes across like pure magic than when a guy kicks a ball in or plays a planned kick safety.
 
I personally are like most of the members on here and like the guys who watch streams. I would prefer to see good safety play because it helps me learn the right way to compete in tournaments and gambling sessions.

But if I was a pool promoter I would market it for the masses of America and no safeties would be allowed.
 
I agree... Two Shot Rollout was a real game to watch. PLUS, both players were always in the game. No Ball-in-Hand to give a player a huge advantage.

Add that to 10-Ball & you have a world class game.

Is there a complete (and good) explanation of the two shot roll out rules posted anywhere online? I have heard very very brief explanations a time or two that were not very good and I didn't follow completely.
 
good post

Also think that Target Pool ,Kim Davenport's venture was a GREAT idea.
Found a Target Pool match on accustats that had me glued to the
seat to watch. Of course my cue ball control is not on that level. Would
love to sign up for any shotmaking competition and or see the two shot
push out make a come back in rotation games.
 
Earl was once known for his shotmaking, but lately it seems like most of his innings end on a missed shot. I dunno if he still has it.

Hard to say who's the best shotmaker. When you have guys who only miss once every 10 racks it's hard to say who misses less than the rest. I've heard other pros comment about how shane just spears balls in. I don't notice him missing much... excepting that bank in the us open 10b.

As old as he is, Efren misses surprisingly little. I think I've seen alex miss more balls than efren but that could be my imagination.
 
I have heard a pro saying he thinks that pattern play might be a marketable game, I agree with him. Set up a pattern of balls the same for each player, with progessivly difficult patterns, others requiring big stroke shots, speed control shots, tight field goal shots requiring the right amount of spin and touch. Set up matches like the trick shot guys do where each player has 2-3 attempts to to run the balls and then score it on difficulty. It might be a interesting, it wont save pool but it would be great to see the top guys who shoot real straight like svb and ja go head to head. Amature and aspiring players would love it, don't cha think???


Now how to make it marketable and pay the players I don't know. I'm up for good ideas I'd love to watch it happen and even more played. It eliminates the break, some innings the goal could to be to play into a safe and back out of it-that would be interesting. In other words the safety would be part of the pattern. And getting out of it part of the pattern. So you could test the capableilties of all aspects of pool, even toss in a jump shot or swerve shot.
 
Last edited:
nobody in the world shoots at a consistency that misses only once every ten racks, not even close

an exaggeration yeah. About 90-95% is more likely, one miss every other rack I guess if we're looking at 9 or 10b. It hardly seems like that many when I watch but the accustats don't lie.
 
nobody in the world shoots at a consistency that misses only once every ten racks, not even close

Guess you're not counting straight pool for a short period of time. I'd say John Schmidt is one of the top shot makers due to his high runs in straight pool.

If the viewing public wants to see people make lots of shots maybe straight pool will make a much needed comeback.

JMHO
 
Make a game of HORSE on a pool table for a few bucks and see what happens.

I think that's pretty much what the trick shot competitions are. If you can't shoot a ball into Mike Massey's boot, you got an H. Fail a 2nd time and you got an E :P
 
I actually don't believe an idea like this could be marketable in any way other than a side exhibition, but as such, and organized along the lines of say the carom artistic billiards format, it could be awesome

look at the success of the straight pool challenge at DCC as a model

if you standardized the patterns you could keep stats too, you could even make it a pro/am contest with crowd participation
 
Back
Top