I watched part of an APA league stream

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a banger with a CF shaft. If people assumed I bought it thinking it would be some sort of magical elixir, they would be wrong. I'd played with solid maple my whole life. I had plateaued and recently decided to get serious and totally redo my stroke/stance/grip/everything. I changed every single element. I couldn't make a most basic shot at first, but I believed if I did it I would come out the other end better and more consistent--consistency is what I was lacking because I had about a thousand different strokes for all types of shots/situations, the result of lots of playing with absolutely zero formal/knowledgeable instruction.

I'd tried LD shafts before but found them too light and whippy. When I found that CF could offer LD properties in a more stiff shaft, I was intrigued. Then when I started rebuilding everything about my game from the ground up I realized: well now might be the time to make the switch. So I bought a cuetec cynergy cue and relearned the game with my new stance/stroke/grip/timing/etc on my new cue.

I love it. My game might eventually get to 1% better than it would have been because of it (LD has some uses, I'm finding), but the low-maintenance aspect is great. It's always smooth, when practicing I can move balls around the table with my shaft without wincing and being a nit about it, and it just greatly simplifies that aspect of the game allowing me to just focus on playing and getting better.

Oh, and the entire cue cost less than the solid-maple shafted cue I had been using.

I will go back to triangle tips soon, though. This sniper is not the one for me. I have yet to find a layered tip I enjoy better than just a triangle (layered tips were what caused these exact same discussions 10-15 years ago, then chalk 5-10 years ago).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue secrets they don't want you to know about. The point is people who only play once a week in a league aren't going to benefit from a $400 shaft on the cue. Kind of like people who don't exercise and eat too many calories didn't benefit from Trudeau's diet secrets.

I disagreed with sending Trudeau to prison. People get rich on all kinds of stuff of dubious benefit to the people who buy it. In my city they have legalized "medical marijuana" dealerships. The national institute of health released a study detailing the many health risks of smoking marijuana but it's being sold and hyped as having a medical benefit.
I don't use marijuana myself, but it isn't an either/or drug in terms of benefits and detriments- like many drugs. It can cause motivation and cognitive impairment and lung irritation if smoked, but some people claim it can assist in pain relief (less addictive and dangerous than opioids), improves appetite for cancer patients, and may help some with insomnia.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cue secrets they don't want you to know about. The point is people who only play once a week in a league aren't going to benefit from a $400 shaft on the cue. Kind of like people who don't exercise and eat too many calories didn't benefit from Trudeau's diet secrets.

I disagreed with sending Trudeau to prison. People get rich on all kinds of stuff of dubious benefit to the people who buy it. In my city they have legalized "medical marijuana" dealerships. The national institute of health released a study detailing the many health risks of smoking marijuana but it's being sold and hyped as having a medical benefit.

The billiards industry benefits from anyone spending $400+ on a cue regardless of how often they play. If someone has a disposable income burning a hole of their pocket, I’d rather it go to a company like Predator that’s out there sponsoring professionals and funding events.

I’m still not assuming these people are buying their equipment imagining it’s a magic elixir. We don’t know their reasons. It could just be that they were due for an upgrade and consider these things to be “good equipment” that they can afford. That to me sounds like giving my fellow humans a modicum of the benefit of doubt.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I don't use marijuana myself, but it isn't an either/or drug in terms of benefits and detriments- like many drugs. It can cause motivation and cognitive impairment and lung irritation if smoked, but some people claim it can assist in pain relief (less addictive and dangerous than opioids), improves appetite for cancer patients, and may help some with insomnia.
The Governor of my state recently legalized marijuana. It allows for New Yorkers to keep up to five pounds of marijuana in their home, grow up to three mature cannabis plants in their home, and opens the door for cannabis cafes and delivery services. I don't use marijuana, so I have no idea of the street value or size to visualize 5 lbs of the stuff.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Governor of my state recently legalized marijuana. It allows for New Yorkers to keep up to five pounds of marijuana in their home, grow up to three mature cannabis plants in their home, and opens the door for cannabis cafes and delivery services. I don't use marijuana, so I have no idea of the street value or size to visualize 5 lbs of the stuff.
Depending on the grade, $100/oz would be a good estimate. What's that, $8,000 for 5 pounds? Might take you a whole week to smoke that!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So would you still say it isn't the arrow?
Or a banger is a banger no matter the arrow?
It's a bit more nuanced that that. A person who occasionally participates in archery is unlikely to take advantage of advancements in archery technology as for example Genghis Khas was when someone in Mongolia invented the composite bow 800 years ago. Or perhaps a person who dresses up like an Indian once in a while is unlikely to be as good at it as the people who issued free haircuts to George Custer and his crew on the side of a hill in Montana.

Speaking of Genghis Khan did you know there are an estimated 16 million people on Earth who have his Y chromosome? He was a busy man.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the grade, $100/oz would be a good estimate. What's that, $8,000 for 5 pounds? Might take you a whole week to smoke that!
100/ oz is one hell of a deal!
A 5pack back in my day was 12k.

Realistically an oz of legal weed is 250-300
5lb is somewhere around 9-10k

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
100/ oz is one hell of a deal!
A 5pack back in my day was 12k.

Realistically an oz of legal weed is 250-300
5lb is somewhere around 9-10k
Not at the dispensary I went to in AZ (allegedly). If you're getting an ounce to make some edibles with (non-premium, shake, etc.), you can get it at that price. I agree with you that anything worth smoking will be more.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always had a great feel for masse shots. It’s a shot that to me is all About feel and honestly it’s the one thing I’ve never done well with my revo.
I thought it was just me but I stopped using the Revo because of that. I've been playing with a Diveney keilwood shaft and it's every bit as solid as the carbon fiber and I can once again masse a ball when needed.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really want a shock, take a trip down your city's bike trail and see how many $7k+ bikes you see that will likely never see 20mph.

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is just like every other activity/sport I've been involved with. Everyone has what I refer to as "Gear Boys"

They just love buying stuff that is considered better. Golf clubs, pool cues, bass boats, mountain bikes, pontoon boats, etc. They have the money to and don't really care if it actually makes them better, they just like having the latest trendy stuff.

I'm the opposite and buy something good, but at the best price I can find and then get the better version if I really like it.

"Gear Boys" are what make industries thrive. I don't help the pool industry much because my main cue, break cue and jump cue are all over 12 years old. I've bought one new shaft in that time to replace one that wore out/split (an old OB-1)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's good to see everybody has come around to my point of view on this topic.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my CF shaft. No more glove. No more sticky shaft. Hallelujah!

As a side note, it did take a while to learn the masse shot again. I’m pretty decent at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk