Improved ball marker

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
What a creative Absurd question.

If you know anyone hiring, I am looking.
Balance of work and life is a main concern at my career stage.

I can do this organizationally and as a trainer both corporate and academic in a variety of industries at various professional levels.

To add on the ball market have they considered a spherical banded shell like the unisphere.

Can they make a plastic film ball marker to minimize material production?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The point of the design was to have full functionality and avoid problems that earlier markers had.

The weight makes the marker stable (brass version).
The two contact points means the exact size of the ball is not important -- a curved contact surface is a problem.
Since the contact is against a flat surface, wear is not an issue. A previous version had contact on a corner.
The marker can be used to measure clearance during spotting.
It can be used to mark the ball position and put the ball exactly on a spot (buy 2!).

Benelli

They only cost $25 each to make. I could probably sell quite a few for $5. People really like the heft of the brass. Any investors?
Bob this seems like the perfect candidate for a Kickstarter project and would easily be funded if the target funding amount was between 3K to 5K

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
great buy as they will be collectors items in the future.

collectors items in the futrue big bucks. im putting in an order for 200.

Last edited:

Pubo

The point of the design was to have full functionality and avoid problems that earlier markers had.

The weight makes the marker stable (brass version).
The two contact points means the exact size of the ball is not important -- a curved contact surface is a problem.
Since the contact is against a flat surface, wear is not an issue. A previous version had contact on a corner.
The marker can be used to measure clearance during spotting.
It can be used to mark the ball position and put the ball exactly on a spot (buy 2!).
where is this sold?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Pretty sure I designed one in CAD a while ago. I'll have to dig it up.
I'm taking delivery of a cnc mill today in fact.
The only product I planned to make for pool was a rack but I guess I could expand the line if I get bored.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hook up with a Chinese manufacturer on Alibaba and they’ll make solid brass ones for you for around $2-3 each. Will need to order a substantial qty of course, probably around 1,000 minimum. Cost will drop with larger orders.

I had a business in 2018-2020 where we were ordering solid brass challenge coins from China for resale here. They had intricate raised and painted designs on both sides, a custom engraved unique serial number on each one, about 2” diameter and very thick and heavy. As I recall we landed around $3-4 each for 5,000 units. Shipping was a large part of the cost due to the weight.

Last edited:

Zerksies

I bought this from amazon for $10. Most of you all thought i was nuts for wanting something like this here. I made a little case for the thing too.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob this seems like the perfect candidate for a Kickstarter project and would easily be funded if the target funding amount was between 3K to 5K
You don't even need a kickstarter. I just accumulated enough pre-orders for the DigiCue to relaunch the entire product line, and it only took 3 weeks to reach my $4k goal. The PCBs are almost done now. I only posted on AZB and Reddit. You can accept money with PayPal very easily via an email address, minus $5 for buyer protection.

If you want to do this, I will pre-order 2 ball markers now.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Hook up with a Chinese manufacturer on Alibaba and they’ll make solid brass ones for you for around $2-3 each. Will need to order a substantial qty of course, probably around 1,000 minimum. Cost will drop with larger orders.

I had a business in 2018-2020 where we were ordering solid brass challenge coins from China for resale here. They had intricate raised and painted designs on both sides, a custom engraved unique serial number on each one, about 2” diameter and very thick and heavy. As I recall we landed around $3-4 each for 5,000 units. Shipping was a large part of the cost due to the weight.
I heard the children in Thailand work for cheaper wages than the children in China.
However, they may not get the government subsidies Chinese companies get.
China can usually sell at the price domestic manufacturers spend on the material alone.
Small US companies cannot compete unless there are ITAR or ISO requirements on the products.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a ball marker @iusedtoberich and I designed and he had made in China in brass and aluminum.

The ball contacts the marker on the flat, sloped surface on each leg. This allows it to work for various sizes of balls. (Markers with semi-circular shapes have a problem with this.)

If you nest two of them, the hole of the inner one is the position of the base of a ball that was sitting against the outer one. This allows you to place a ball exactly on a spot or to mark a spot where the ball was sitting.

The legs are the length of the radius of a ball. This allows you to see if a ball will spot or if its edge is over a line. This also means the marker is fairly small.

I really like the brass version. The aluminum is a little light to stay put.

This is overkill for most people but referees need to do those things sometimes. Usually a piece of chalk is OK.

View attachment 747897
I’ve found that a large washer, 1 inch or 1-1/2 inch diameter, cut in half, works really well. Just slowly slide it up with your index fingertip until it touches the ball, then replacing the ball the same way.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a ball marker @iusedtoberich and I designed and he had made in China in brass and aluminum.

The ball contacts the marker on the flat, sloped surface on each leg. This allows it to work for various sizes of balls. (Markers with semi-circular shapes have a problem with this.)

If you nest two of them, the hole of the inner one is the position of the base of a ball that was sitting against the outer one. This allows you to place a ball exactly on a spot or to mark a spot where the ball was sitting.

The legs are the length of the radius of a ball. This allows you to see if a ball will spot or if its edge is over a line. This also means the marker is fairly small.

I really like the brass version. The aluminum is a little light to stay put.

This is overkill for most people but referees need to do those things sometimes. Usually a piece of chalk is OK.

View attachment 747897
Looks nice. Can you compare and contrast this marker with the below brass marker?

Attachments

• 20240311_145654.jpg
    20240311_145654.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240311_145708.jpg
    20240311_145708.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 35

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought this from amazon for $10. Most of you all thought i was nuts for wanting something like this here. I made a little case for the thing too.

I dislike that design for the reasons stated. Some of those don't even have a half-ball dimension even though they could.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there should be so much material in the marker, it makes placing it near other balls troublesome. Like a too thick rack used for straight pool. I would like a small curve of metal with a handle sticking out to be able to grab it. Say for working around a template rack where more than one ball may be stuck, but you can't place a thick rack or that will be on the template rack material preventing the removal.

A bit like the first picture with a stub where the hole is to make sliding it or grabbing it easier.

A jacks type design may be a great one to use also. With one half of the metal central rod removed, you can place the ball against the two round balls to mark the spot. It is very small and yet easy to grab to remove.

1710189570314.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 164205.png

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Ball marking is turning into rocket science levels now. And yet at Griff's this past weekend and the few days before, I still saw the pros lift a ball off the table with their fingers numerous times to remove the template rack.