Improving veteran players games

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd recommend solidifying their PSR, and trying to find ways to simplify their patterns. Also, it never hurts to work on their break.

Reactions: sjm

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on what their flaws they need to work on would be. Without that it's like asking what engine to by without saying what car it's going in.

Usually if players have played for a while but are stuck at lower levels, I almost always see it as coming down to bad mechanics (stance, stroke, too fast, too jerky, not staying still, etc...). Once someone can hit the ball where they want to each time without sending it on a random line the game becomes a lot easier.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The very first step is video. Find a way to mount your phone if nothing else. Shoot the same pretty tough shot ten times with the camera in front of you looking down the barrel so to speak. Then shoot the shot ten more times with the camera on the side and a final ten times with the camera directly behind you, 180 degrees from your first camera set up.

Chances are you can see some things that need correcting, sort them out. Another round of video to be sure the flaws are really gone and back the camera up and run racks. Consider your patterns, could they be better?

If you can't see flaws there are people that will analyze your video for a reasonable price. I would probably choose David Sapolis, BlackJack on here, if he is still doing this. Several more were, shouldn't be too hard or too expensive but your issues will probably jump out in video. What we think we are doing and what we are really doing are often two different things. Video at these angles doesn't lie!

Hu

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First thing I would do is make sure there is a willingness to change for the better. Some "veteran" players are far too set in their ways to admit they are doing something incorrectly let alone trying to find a remedy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Virtually no veteran player with a solid, but amateur level stroke, wants an extreme makeover, so I'd seriously consider leaving their fundamentals alone. The easiest ways for them to advance further as a player would be to improve their skills, and the areas most easily addressed are speed control, billiard theory, and pattern play. Addressing these skills will demonstrably improve their position play and their tactical play. Show them how to practice these skills to further develop them and they'll advance as a player without overhauling their fundamentals. It's a short cut to improvement.

On the other hand , if they ask for an extreme makeover, that's another matter. In that case, analyze and redevelop their fundamentals.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very first step is video. Find a way to mount your phone if nothing else. Shoot the same pretty tough shot ten times with the camera in front of you looking down the barrel so to speak. Then shoot the shot ten more times with the camera on the side and a final ten times with the camera directly behind you, 180 degrees from your first camera set up.

Chances are you can see some things that need correcting, sort them out. Another round of video to be sure the flaws are really gone and back the camera up and run racks. Consider your patterns, could they be better?

If you can't see flaws there are people that will analyze your video for a reasonable price. I would probably choose David Sapolis, BlackJack on here, if he is still doing this. Several more were, shouldn't be too hard or too expensive but your issues will probably jump out in video. What we think we are doing and what we are really doing are often two different things. Video at these angles doesn't lie!

Hu
This is a formula for success. Works wonders for golf. No reason it wouldn’t be just as effective for pool.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Virtually no veteran player with a solid, but amateur level stroke, wants an extreme makeover, so I'd seriously consider leaving their fundamentals alone. The easiest ways for them to advance further as a player would be to improve their skills, and the areas most easily addressed are speed control, billiard theory, and pattern play. Addressing these skills will demonstrably improve their position play and their tactical play. Show them how to practice these skills to further develop them and they'll advance as a player without overhauling their fundamentals. It's a short cut to improvement.

On the other hand , if they ask for an extreme makeover, that's another matter. In that case, analyze and redevelop their fundamentals.
Once again...you hit the nail on the head.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Right or wrong I have two games. The Win game and the Fun game.

I find the Win game (where every shot and leave is designed to run out) a little boring on a shot by shot basis. Have to use Win game if there's money or tourney play but I don't find it as enjoyable as the Fun game. The Fun game is about the feel and accomplishment of something different than the Win. Likely includes low but impressive probability shots, strokes that should leave an exotic or amazing leave, draws that (if they work out) even impress me. 😅 I do believe Fun games can benefit Win game play but overall I'd rather Win taking Fun shots than being systematic and boring.

So there's probably no hope for me. 🤣

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There is a difference in improving: your satisfaction from playing pool, your skill in playing pool and the enjoyment you get from competing against other players.

After the COVID shutdown, I realized socializing through pool was a primary source of enjoyment. Sometimes letting someone else wins can feel as good as not letting them get to the table.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
After the COVID shutdown, I realized socializing through pool was a primary source of enjoyment. Sometimes letting someone else wins can feel as good as not letting them get to the table.
The "only" person I play that I "let win" on occasion is the wife. And that's selfish of me. She sucks but she's a game, at home. 😅 The only way my playing improves is by playing the fun shots, two rails, complicated kick-shots as she struggles on the bunnies. We typically play first to 3 in 8-ball and depending on how close to dinner it is, either goes 1-1 or 2-0 and I have to shine for a 3 rack run to win out. 30% of the time she wins her 3rd game because I tried a 15 rail bank shot on the 8 and scratch. Sometimes she'll surprise me with her own run and make the 8 after I've been sending it around the world through her 7 ball adventure.

It's the only way playing someone who stinks fun, lets you work on crazy shots and let's them pound their chest once in awhile. Every race to 3 goes to the "finals". I want my 5 games every time, I'll let her win enough to stay interested or continue doing the laundry.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Step one:
Don't tell them they're doing it wrong. (odds are you're probably not doing it right either)
Step two:
Draw comparisons to your own game. (Prove that there may be a better way. eg: "That's cool, have you tried this..?")
Step three:
Tell them to never read the "right way" threads on ABZ