calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In recent times there is only one full splice to admire....HERCEK

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RBC

Deceased
It's really pretty simple.

If all the points are the same piece of wood, and still connected to each other, then it's what is called a full splice.

Veneers don't matter.

Most all "house cues" are full splice.

If you take a full splice and cut it so the points are no longer connected, then it's no longer a full splice.

There are a few fancy cues who appear to be full splice, but in reality they are not. They are seamed together in different places than normal, but they are still seamed together, so they are not a full splice.

Full splice is just a construction method. It's actually pretty easy, but not so if you are particular about the points being even.

Full splice's were created for a couple of reasons. First, to add surface area to the glue joint. The glues were pretty bad back then, and they needed lots of surface area to make sure they stayed glued together. Second, it was a way to attach a heavy wood to a lighter one. Back then all the cloth was slow, so cues were routinely at least 20 to 21 ounces. With today's cloth we just don't need the heavy cue.

Just my observations from 20+ years with cues.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
....Back then all the cloth was slow, so cues were routinely at least 20 to 21 ounces. With today's cloth we just don't need the heavy cue.

There was indeed a period when cues got 'heavier' for a while but actually, prior to that, most cues were somewhat light.

Which is a little surprising with the tables being as large as they were. Even the pros recommended playing with nothing heavier than 16 or 17 oz...

Circa 1901
1896_Cue_ConstructionP3.PNG

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the original post and what I posted in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick serdula
I see it more and more. It isn't. The build is a conversion Cue. If the returns are full and come to a point and not seperated by a line going across the inside of the proings base in other words a V at the bottom of the return it is a house cue conversion.
Many builders send thier wood to have these custom house cue's butts built. But really they are not anything but a conversion from a house cue's butt.
I know house cue doesn't sell like full splice but that is what it is. Titlist are full splice. House Cues? Yup. But calling a house Cue that isn't built like that full splice is like lipstick on a pig. It is still a pig.
Nick

Nick,
I normally agree with most of your posts as you contribute some good things. But I do not agree with you on this one.
I have built many full splice custom cues from scratch in my own shop that do not come to sharp points on the bottom of the points. They are full spliced and they are custom. It may not be a style you like, but it is not a house cue and when I am dressing them up I am not putting lipstick on a pig. I am putting inlays into a full splice custom cue.
Now I have also spliced up wood for others like you mentioned. And it is not a house cue they got back from me. It was a full splice blank. Did they do all the work to splice it like I did? No! Is what they are building a converson cue? No! A conversion cue is just that. A completed cue that was later converted into something different. A point blank is a forearm or complete butt someone can build or buy. I have sold a lot of blanks that I did not build myself that had sharp points at the bottom of the points with veneers. The same principal applies it is not a conversion cue. On the other hand the cues built out of Titlist bar cues with sharp points going both ways and veneers are conversion cues. The difference is that it was a full cue that was converted and not a custom blank someone built or bought and built a cue out of it. The shape of the bottom of the points has nothing to do with whether it is a conversion cue or a custom cue. Also the shape of the bottom of the points has nothing to do with whether it is a full splice or not.

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full splice

I agree with Chris 100% in his explanation.

The terminology gets pretty tricky when re-sellers, collectors , and plain owners start making their own versions according to economics. Cuemakers for the most part know exactly what they're building without a question at any given time but also quietly fall into the new titles in order to comunicate with the masses. A tribute to mis-information. MY two cents :)

Mario

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
house cue conversion

i do a lot of titlist and have a couple hundred old brunswick house cues. thats where i get most of my shaft material. but on occasion i will run across a very nice rosewood or curly purpleheart 4 prong fullsplice. i will take this HOUSE CUE and treat it as i would a titlist. hoppe rings, moose joint, etc etc. this rosewood full splice cue i call a custom conversion. i believe these old 50 year house cues play as good as any made today.
as long as i do not cut the butt to install a handle or lengthen the butt, i still feel its a full splice custom conversion !!!!!!!!!

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Hercek are beautiful but "tight"

opps posted 2x.................

Last edited:

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
In recent times there is only one full splice to admire....HERCEK

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You must have never seen a BlackCreek, Jerry -R-, or Darren Hill. I would put their full splices in the 'full splice to admire" category, any day of the week.

Joe