International Open

VVP

Registered
Their schedule shows Al Shaneen vs Aranas starting at 1 pm and it's now 12:30 pm and game 4 is on the way. Communications from the tournament organizers suck and that's my main issue with the event. They should keep their schedule correct and post times for the next Feature match on the website. I noticed they took the chat down so you can't even ask about what time matches are expected to start.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the purpose of double elimination is *not* to give everyone 2 chances. It’s to prevent 2 top players knocking each other out early on, while 2 weak players go deep due to the luck of the draw.

Once a field of 128 is at 32 players, 16 plus 16, all 32 of those are similar skill level, and at that point it makes complete sense to me to switch to single elim. I don’t think it makes any difference if they did a random blind draw at this point, or winners side vs losers side, or keep each side separate. All are fair because the 32 players are equal ability.

VVP

Registered
Personally I've found it hard to keep up as the first three days of the main table stream were the Bigfoot event. It's a good event but sort of puts the Nine Ball event on the back burner. I had streaming issues with the outside tables.
Yeah, lots of circle of death :D My refresh button got a workout for this event, but all good. They explained that they were trying to get up-to-speed with the full technology after the untimely death of Pat Fleming Jr. last year who ran the technical aspects of these events.

I thought they made good use of the Feature table. For me, the 9 ball only got interesting after the final 32 which was reached after the Bigfoot events.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Maybe not much talk here because it is PPV and limited subscribers. One-pocket was fantastic and well worth the entire PPV fee. 10 ball was nice and worth watching. Very nice 9 ball match last night between Orcollo and Gorst ...some initial bad play from Orcollo but the match has some of the best shot in the tournament so far. Oh and if you want to see Earl hit and pray, watch his match against Grabe :ROFLMAO:
It actually was, not nice to see, but comforting to see a top player miss relatively routine shot after making a phenomenal shot like the rest of us.

Jaden

Reactions: VVP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the purpose of double elimination is *not* to give everyone 2 chances. It’s to prevent 2 top players knocking each other out early on, while 2 weak players go deep due to the luck of the draw.

Once a field of 128 is at 32 players, 16 plus 16, all 32 of those are similar skill level, and at that point it makes complete sense to me to switch to single elim. I don’t think it makes any difference if they did a random blind draw at this point, or winners side vs losers side, or keep each side separate. All are fair because the 32 players are equal ability.
Double-elimination was really designed to get more 'dead money' players to fork over their entry fee. If they thought they got to play two matches for their money they'd go ahead and play. At the 'pro level' it should be single-elimination all the way. Ever see a tennis tournament where Federer lost a match and got another chance? DE is ok for smaller/regional events but not at the top level of play. I do like DCC's buy-back system. If you want to play again whip the cash or just go home.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a positive note, AZ's Mark Kendall (markgw) stepped in the booth to commentate with Mark Wilson for the Lechner-Yapp match on Wednesday. Mark is best known for being Great White's longtime guitarist. He is an avid pool fan as well.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 good matches tonight

8EF27E37-9C76-4E50-B05C-B18E4F3A516F.jpeg

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I've found it hard to keep up as the first three days of the main table stream were the Bigfoot event. It's a good event but sort of puts the Nine Ball event on the back burner. I had streaming issues with the outside tables.
9 ball should go on the far back burner to Bigfoot 10 Ball. (y)

VVP

Registered
Shane beat Chinakhov 10 - 4 to end Chinakhov misery. Chinakhov proved that "dead money" players could get lucky draws to get into the money. Glad this one is over.

VVP

Registered
Still cannot understand why Shane did not play the 2 -8 combination when the score was 9-2 where the 8 was hanging in the pocket. Bill Incardona was surprised that he did not play it. Mark Wilson said that he wouldn't have gotten position, but it seems to me (the amateur) the table was wide open and he would still had a shot on the 2 after the combination. Maybe Shane gifted him 2 matches so he could improve his TPA to .776 😁

VVP

Registered
Great match!! Albin won 10 - 3 against Mika. Both players played great, but Albin played immaculately well! Albin might win this event. Get your passes for tomorrow because all great players remain.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Albin has played incredible his last two matches against Filler and now Mika. His TPA against Mika was .966.

SVB has also been playing terrific. Tomorrows match of SVB v. Ouschan is shaping up to be a good one. If forced to pick, I would say the winner of that match takes the title.

And cheers to Mika. 2nd in the 10 ball, and final 8 in 9 ball. Good showing.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Albin has played incredible his last two matches against Filler and now Mika. His TPA against Mika was .966.

SVB has also been playing terrific. Tomorrows match of SVB v. Ouschan is shaping up to be a good one. If forced to pick, I would say the winner of that match takes the title.

And cheers to Mika. 2nd in the 10 ball, and final 8 in 9 ball. Good showing.
Never thought I would say this, but Shane had better pick up his break game to keep up with Ouschan tomorrow.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane beat Chinakhov 10 - 4 to end Chinakhov misery. Chinakhov proved that "dead money" players could get lucky draws to get into the money. Glad this one is over.
Chinakov is far from being "dead money," far from it! He has beaten many of the top players at one time or another and is definitely one of the top 50 players in the world today, probably more like top 30. You must have him confused with someone else.

VVP

Registered
Chinakov is far from being "dead money," far from it! He has beaten many of the top players at one time or another and is definitely one of the top 50 players in the world today, probably more like top 30. You must have him confused with someone else.
Obviously you know more than me Jay, but the player I saw today and even in his win yesterday against Al-Awadhi is far from a top player at least in 9 ball. I understand he was the top Russian before Gorst but I can't see him as " mostly in the money" guy the way he played yesterday and today.