is anyone familiar with adams cues?

ejs1of3

Registered
i have what appeared to just be a vintage adams cue, i have not been able to locate another online anywhere. it is a plain cue, no wrap or points. ivory at both end of the butt, logo only no "adams" and the joint has a plastic 'sleeve' that lines up the threads. the 'sleeve' is a part of the shaft. there is no marking on the shaft to identify it as an adams, however, the way the two go together seems unique, which makes me believe it is adams. i would appreciate and help anyone can provide.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are a few guys here who can tell you what you do/don't have, but you need to post pics of the unscrewed joint and close ups of the butt with the butt bumper possibly removed. close ups of the cue forearm, etc. more pics, the better.

i've got my fingers crossed for you. :)

ejs1of3

Registered
this is the cue.

i purchased it for $60, and it shoots fantastic.

Attachments

• CAM00110[1].jpg
    CAM00110[1].jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 560
  • CAM00108[1].jpg
    CAM00108[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 548
  • CAM00109[1].jpg
    CAM00109[1].jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 577

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't look like an Adam joint to me and it doesn't make sense that the logo would be there and Adam. Definitely not ivory.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
adam used that plastic/nylon pilot on the julio stambolino line way back when. helmstetter also used it in the early 80's on some trial cues made for brunswick.

here's a pic of the brunswick joint -

Attachments

• bwick 1845 nylon joint.jpg
    bwick 1845 nylon joint.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 386

ejs1of3

Registered
it is my understanding that in the 80's and newer, all adams cues have the logo and name. is there any truth to that? im having a hard time putting a value on it. i figure no wrap or points most likely put it at entry level, but its my first cue and i dont know much about what to look for.

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
I have a 1980 (I think, it's a 1980) Adam cue. Merry Widow style. Similar to yours, but with a wrap and stitched rings. It, likewise, has only the logo, with no "Adam".

Just fyi.

Last edited:

ejs1of3

Registered
thanks everyone, im just going to be happy with it and play my game. I tried to contact adams directly several times and no response.

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adams - Helmstetter

My first decent cue was an Adams as well - a 1979 that I bought for $110 (a lot of money in '79) - it had Steve Mizerak's signature on the forearm. Helmstetter was the parent company, but produced all of the Adams line in Japan. Decent woods, good balance but maybe slightly butt heavy to some, and a great feel - it was a good first step into a "decent" two-piece cue so you weren't playing with a banger or a bar cue. Most of them I saw were a flat face - no piloted joint (like yours). Many of the '79 - '82 had no Griffin on the butt cap. I think after that they added just the Griffin (like yours) . . . and then after that the Griffin logo with the word "Adams" or "Adams Cue" in the mid-to-late 80's. They were good cues - I still play with mine today - some. Back then a McDermott, Helmstetter, Huebler, or Meucci was a step up from an Adams - $150 to $300. You were hot stuff with that, and carrying a hard box case into a pool joint. I think you have a mid-80's cue, and a good buy at $60. Put a decent tip on it, and you have a great player cue to drag to a bar etc.

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pics for you

Mine was wrapless - but looked a lot like this.

Four points - sneaky pete style with two rings - framed windows in ebony at the bottom.

Attachments

• Mizerak.jpg
    Mizerak.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 126

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The company was called Adam, named after Helmstetter's grandson, not Adams, a last name.

Update: Sorry for posting information from memory. Adam was Dave Forman's grandson.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The company was called Adam, named after Helmstetter's grandson, not Adams, a last name.

Thank you....it always gets under my skin when people call it Adams...just a pet peeve. LOL!

Yes, it is an Adam cue. I tend to stay away from value issues but he got a pretty decent deal.