Is bonus ball more entertaining than 9ball 10ball etc.

Is bonus ball more entertaining to watch than 9ball 10 ball etc

• Yes it is more entertaining

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • No it's not

Votes: 85 70.8%

• Total voters

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
One of the significant differences between pool and most other "sports", especially the major ones, is consistency of product. Consistency is the most important feature for the expansion of any franchise, it gives the customer an always recognizable product wherever he may be. It also demonstrates the businesses' organization, maturity, and depth, all components necessary for success.

Whereas the major sports like baseball, tennis. football, basketball, and even fencing or boxing, are all played uniformly on local, regional, national and international levels, pool has several already recognizable, time tested, ways of playing; nine ball, straight pool, eight ball, and one pocket. The need to "re-invent" the game, except for the creation of game specific products, eludes me. In fact, I find it more as a negative for bonus ball, as well as for "pool" in general, adding confusion and dilution to an already fragmented sport.

Is bonus ball "more" exciting than the other games?, of course it isn't. People do/will always gravitate to their favorite games, which will always be the most exciting to them.

Constantly telling people which game will be the most exciting to them is not the best way to generate interest and support, it may, in fact, produce exactly the opposite results that you are seeking, imo.

Good luck.

J

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again we are fed the line of it's not entertaining because...i don't like it! Because it's what? Not pool? The professionals won't play it? It's full of gimmics? Boring compared to watching professionals run table after table? What is it the you find not entertaining where others see it instantly? I would honestly like some of the people not liking it to state what they don't like about the game. Is it really that hard to do?

Do you not like that the game because it is hard to runout?

Do you not like it because you hate scoring games like Snooker?

Do you not like it because the break means nothing because the game is so well structured?

Do you not like it because there are no flukes allowed or you can't scratch and lose a game?

Do you not like it because it is a fast paced pool game with a shot clock?

Do you not like it because the league structure that is so familar to amateur pool leagues?

Do you not like it because the traditional games are doing so well for tournaments and television revenues don't need another pool game taking a piece of the lucrative pie?

All the negative posts with no answers why you don't like it. With the exception of the announcer, the backwards desk, shiny lettering and the girls!

I would love to really know why?

Last edited:

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the significant differences between pool and most other "sports", especially the major ones, is consistency of product. Consistency is the most important feature for the expansion of any franchise, it gives the customer an always recognizable product wherever he may be. It also demonstrates the businesses' organization, maturity, and depth, all components necessary for success.

Whereas the major sports like baseball, tennis. football, basketball, and even fencing or boxing, are all played uniformly on local, regional, national and international levels, pool has several already recognizable, time tested, ways of playing; nine ball, straight pool, eight ball, and one pocket. The need to "re-invent" the game, except for the creation of game specific products, eludes me. In fact, I find it more as a negative for bonus ball, as well as for "pool" in general, adding confusion and dilution to an already fragmented sport.

Is bonus ball "more" exciting than the other games?, of course it isn't. People do/will always gravitate to their favorite games, which will always be the most exciting to them.

Constantly telling people which game will be the most exciting to them is not the best way to generate interest and support, it may, in fact, produce exactly the opposite results that you are seeking, imo.

Good luck.

J

That is a basically great point. These sports are very constant. However, they work. They are entertaining and they have gathered a a fan base. They have television rights and a structured format for professional players.

What Bonus Ball fans are trying to say to people is simple. This game is billiards. It's nothing new. It's simply formatted to play better, eliminating a lot of the things people have complained about, like watching billiards being hard and that professional players make the game look too simple. We all know that it is not as simple as it looks. All billiard games are fun to play. Not one person on this board will argue that. We have never said that Bonus Ball is ultimate game of billiards. To me it is the best because I liked it so much, I bought into the company. I saw potential for a game better suited to better players. I liked how strategic it plays and I liked being forced to make some crazy shots that has made me a much better player.

Here is a bit of history. Bonus Ball was created as a point scoring game. It was very simple. Then Mike Massey suggested to Larry, over ten years ago, to allow top player to use only three pockets to challenge them more. The game stayed the same for many years. That was until I came along. I added the time clock because players in an amateur tournament frustrated me so much with slow play trying to over think, this relatively simple game. Instead of playing to a final points, we added a time limit. It made sense for many reasons and it worked.

Then came the problems of a timed game that we needed to over come. We found the answers and we had some real good tournaments with the amateurs. It seemed we had a real good game going. The we took the game to the US Open and then the pros showed us things about the game that they wanted us to add. Since the whole reason for developing the game was to have professional player enjoy it. We incorporated many of their suggestions. Now as we started to reach more people with the game, Larry was convinced to change the game so it was easy as 1-2-3. That was a huge step backwards but we went through that stage and eventually came back to where we are today. A very challenging, strategic and skillful game. That is were we stand today. The game stands on it's own two feet. Solid as a rock. Will there be more changes, probably. That is how other sports have evolved. The same game just better rules.

We are just playing billiards. The same game as my grandfather played a 100 years ago. We have added some very modern technology that many love and some don't care for. We will never please everyone. Bonus Ball can be played with out a time clock and a scoreboard. You can take all the time you want playing in your basement or at a pool hall. It just been added for league play, tournament play and television. Our market are the players that embrace this kind of change. They don't care what game is played as long as it entertains them. I will play eight ball all day long because it is a great game to play. I'm not a professional. I find it challenging on a larger table, I don't care for it on a bar box. Many of my friends love playing it on a bar box but are not skilled enough to compete with me in three pocket Bonus Ball on a 4.5 x 9.

I'm not saying to you personally, drop your game of choice, you need to play and enjoy only Bonus Ball. We are saying, hey, this is a very challenging game that you may enjoy playing more than you might think. As far as watching it. Well, you won't find it exciting if you don't want to. However, there are many others that do enjoy the differences our game brings to the table. I state again. These kind of threads are misleading and do nothing but create lines drawn in the sand. Many are greeting us with open arms and saying yes, we love your new game and it is needed. Why is it needed?

I can't find one sporting channel that carries my favorite game. That game is billiards. In any form. I can't watch professional players in a team format in North America, but now I will be able to. I would support a similar concept playing ten ball, eight ball and even nine ball. I have watched all the other games too on PPV.

Fortunately, Larry Chiborak has stepped up to the plate. He has the only professional league playing billiards. You can chose to look the other way and do nothing to see it flourish and let things stay the same. You also can also support it like NASCAR fans support stock car racing, their automotive sport of choice. In auto racing you have many forms of the sport and it flourishes. There is no reason why billiards can't have different forms of pool. I think I have had enough of threads like this. I got a lot of work to do for the 25% of people that have voted they do find this game entertaining. That's a pretty good number for a game that has not really been launched yet. Have a great day and enjoy playing any game that makes you happy. Support your pool halls and join a league. Do anything you can to bring billiards back to life!

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
passion for the game

Man-oh-man. You are exasperating. Please show me how to get people to watch Ten-Ball. I have been trying to get people to watch Nine-Ball for decades without success.

I am saying, "Let Bonus Ball stand on its own. Don't convolute the issue with the other games."

Maybe if you had passion for the game you would have some success. imho

pooler

Europe - TD, TL & Ref
Silver Member
Billiards - Gentleman's Game ???

Man-oh-man. You are exasperating. Please show me how to get people to watch Ten-Ball. I have been trying to get people to watch Nine-Ball for decades without success.

I am saying, "Let Bonus Ball stand on its own. Don't convolute the issue with the other games."

Maybe if you had passion for the game you would have some success. imho

Man-oh-man.

I am not sure what Rules these two gentlemen are playing but, for sure, by nowaday's standards the latter comment is a clear hit 'below the belt':thud:
What makes it worse, it seems purely: :nono: INTENTIONAL :nono:

Last edited:

storke

One Pocket Player
Silver Member
I know that everyone is supposed to get behind anything new in the sport and if you are not positive there is a chance you will get alot of negative comments fired at you. I have decided to just say it as I see it.

Bonus Ball will never make it. The game is too complex for the average player and will not be embraced. This game will be gone before the end of 2013 and as much as some of you want to protect it but lets really face it in reality the amount of money that has been spent based on reports from all concerned it is just about impossible to get that money back and I am sure there is much more money yet to be spent. Sorry for my maybe brutal honesty but the only people that are really ranting and raving about how great this is are people that are directly involved or are getting a paycheck from it. That is for the most part. I hope I am wrong but I doubt it and I also hope that this does not give the sport another black eye and let the players down.

What he said, couldn't have said it better.

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bonus Ball will never make it. The game is too complex for the average player and will not be embraced.

I have heard this for four years now and every year it is still getting stronger! When the professional players are embracing it, it takes a lot of guts to stand up and tell the world you know better. I'll give you that much!

The average billiard player is far more intelligent than your giving them credit for! Today's new players are extremely intelligent and love the strategy of this new game. It may not be for everyone but I have found my market. It's a lot bigger than you can imagine.

In one attempt at putting together a Bonus Ball amateur league last year, I wiped out the BCA Advanced league in Winnipeg. Top players recognize what this game has to offer. It is not that complex and it is the real deal. It makes you a much better player and you can ask any pro player that has played it. www.wpbl.tv for more information to give yourself a closer look what we are talking about!

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Bonus Ball will never make it. The game is too complex for the average player and will not be embraced.

I have heard this for four years now and every year it is still getting stronger! When the professional players are embracing it, it takes a lot of guts to stand up and tell the world you know better. I'll give you that much!

The average billiard player is far more intelligent than your giving them credit for! Today's new players are extremely intelligent and love the strategy of this new game. It may not be for everyone but I have found my market. It's a lot bigger than you can imagine.

In one attempt at putting together a Bonus Ball amateur league last year, I wiped out the BCA Advanced league in Winnipeg. Top players recognize what this game has to offer. It is not that complex and it is the real deal. It makes you a much better player and you can ask any pro player that has played it. www.wpbl.tv for more information to give yourself a closer look what we are talking about!

You sir, are a marketing machine!!! I wish you much success.