Is Elbow Drop after Tip Contact a Bad Thing?

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing after contact matters, as long as it doesn't affect what happens before contact. :thumbup:

Though technically true, it does encourage bad habits and requires timing, which is another "step" to maintain for a good consistent stroke. If you have a day that your timing is off it will certainly affect you hitting the ball properly.

I would also say this bad habit has a direct contribution to people not being able to follow well or they hit stun when they meant to follow. Being they do those shots less often they are adjusting their timing and usually drop their elbow sooner in the stroke causing the tip to raise and them to not hit low. I am of course speculating on this, but I rarely see it on people with good strokes that do not drop their elbow.

I rarely, if ever hit the felt during my follow through as my hand typically hits my chest before I could follow through enough. I guess that is a combination of being down low and not dropping my elbow/or popping up to create that clearance needed.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Correction:

it seems like you, and the people who continue to encourage you, just don't know when to stop.

I sure hope the percentage of substantive and mature posts increases both in this thread and in the Main Forum as a whole in the near future.

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

It seems that my somewhat apologetic post was taken out along with Dan's & my responses.

I agree with your 2nd. sentence, but would change the word 'encourage' in your 1st. sentence to either 'instigate' or 'troll'.

Sorry for the flare on you... but I was rather extremely upset & your timing was well before I collected myself.

Regards & Best Wishes.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,

It seems that my somewhat apologetic post was taken out along with Dan's & my responses.

I agree with your 2nd. sentence, but would change the word 'encourage' in your 1st. sentence to either 'instigate' or 'troll'.

Sorry for flare on you... but I was rather extremely upset & your timing was well before I collected myself.

Regards & Best Wishes.
FYI, I've changed the wording to "encourage an incite." I think that is appropriate.

Regards,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
FYI, I've changed the wording to "encourage an incite." I think that is appropriate.

Regards,
Dave

Yeah Dave,

Some might instigate & incite...
while others might 'encourage'.

Either way, for some, it's still trolling to get an emotional responses instead of having a genuine discussion or a conversation.

Regards & Best Wishes.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Yeah Dave,

Some might instigate & incite...
while others might 'encourage'.

Either way, for some, it's still trolling to get an emotional responses instead of having a genuine discussion or a conversation.

Regards & Best Wishes.

Keep in mind that one man's "encouragement" can be viewed as "instigation" by everyone else in the room.

Mike

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Keep in mind that one man's "encouragement" can be viewed as "instigation" by everyone else in the room.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Usually... encouragement is associated as a good thing...for a good purpose.

While instigate is usually associated with starting something of not a good nature.

Those usual meanings can sort of be perverted if say one were to say that one encouraged his student to murder his mother.

While technically correct in language, it is a bit perverted given the action.

Best Wishes & Have a Great Weekend.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is Steve Davis' take on elbow dropping.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25795796
...it's rather stirring.

Well, let's take a look at both of them and "stir" things up a bit. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoEu_QPt0ds

Selby often drops his elbow before tip contact with the white, mostly when he is applying follow. At 2:38 in the video, Mark attempts to pot the black while using follow to break out two reds and the green that are sitting along the head rail. Here's an overlay composite of two screen captures - one at the height of his backswing and the second one just before contact.

I've draw computer lines to show both how much his elbow drops and how much the cue angle changes throughout the stroke. The yellow lines correspond to the pause at the transition, the red lines relate to the elbow height and cue angle the instant before contact.

Attachments

• Selby Elbow Drop.jpg
    Selby Elbow Drop.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 107