Is it possible that after 5 years of playing, i can aim automatically?????

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to lately just get down on my shot line on a long angle shot, and eyeball my aim point, and shoot, and im not missing?????? Is it possible that i have hit so many shots in practice that i can now find my shot line in my mind and zero in and shoot??? Im talking not using CTE, GHOST BALL, SHANES EDGE OF SHAFT, POOLOLOGY METHOD, HALF BALL HIT, ECT, ECT.

And i have used all of the above before, but now, i just get down, see the line i want, no measurement, no CTE, no pivot, nothing, seems like i can just see the angle i need, and shoot. And I’m not missing much. I still use EDGE OF SHAFT sighting for cuts on the long rail, which works well for me.

Have I finally hit the plateau of hitting a million shots in 5 years where the long cut, or long angle shot is automatic???????

(I’m not trying to be a tough guy, this is a serious question. Have i reached aiming utopia????????)

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a typical shot.

Attachments

• 754FF30E-7A03-4A55-A24F-5B8811D5BED7.png
    754FF30E-7A03-4A55-A24F-5B8811D5BED7.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 113

Zerksies

I ran into this situation last night and i literally forgot how to aim, I could do it just naturally. It was really messing me up that i actually had to think about what to look at while aiming

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I seem to lately just get down on my shot line on a long angle shot, and eyeball my aim point, and shoot, and im not missing?????? Is it possible that i have hit so many shots in practice that i can now find my shot line in my mind and zero in and shoot??? Im talking not using CTE, GHOST BALL, SHANES EDGE OF SHAFT, POOLOLOGY METHOD, HALF BALL HIT, ECT, ECT.

And i have used all of the above before, but now, i just get down, see the line i want, no measurement, no CTE, no pivot, nothing, seems like i can just see the angle i need, and shoot. And I’m not missing much. I still use EDGE OF SHAFT sighting for cuts on the long rail, which works well for me.

Have I finally hit the plateau of hitting a million shots in 5 years where the long cut, or long angle shot is automatic???????

(I’m not trying to be a tough guy, this is a serious question. Have i reached aiming utopia????????)
to answer your question ...yes
question to you
do you look at the shot from behind first and step in?
i think over time you learn
if you hit the object ball here it will go there
and over time you learn how to get the cue ball to hit that spot
jmho

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, exactly. I stand behind the shot, look at my line, get down into position, no CTE, no edge of shaft, nothing. I can see the spot to hit on the object ball, no fractional stuff, no pivoting, just center cue ball. Before i would look at the shot line, and think: is it a half ball hit, a little less, a little more than half ball hit, ect, ect, i was in my mind just guessing. But now no more guessing. I think hitting so many balls has paid off for me.

And yes im playing well. Not running three packs in 9 ball, but at 66 im very happy with the way im playing.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yes, exactly. I stand behind the shot, look at my line, get down into position, no CTE, no edge of shaft, nothing. I can see the spot to hit on the object ball, no fractional stuff, no pivoting, just center cue ball. Before i would look at the shot line, and think: is it a half ball hit, a little less, a little more than half ball hit, ect, ect, i was in my mind just guessing. But now no more guessing. I think hitting so many balls has paid off for me.

And yes im playing well. Not running three packs in 9 ball, but at 66 im very happy with the way im playing.
Even when you think you don't need it any more it might be useful to continue to recognize where your "feel" for shots fits in the "references" you used before - to continue to refine and solidify your instinct.

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
When you play enough years to begin to ''feel'' the walk up angle to the shot it simplifies your game.

''when your down your done''
Is my guess why this is occurring.

Your just walkin' up to shot at the proper angle with cue ball speed determining your contact spot on the obj. ball.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, at the most fundamental level, there are two basic components to playing good pool (OK, maybe three).

The first is a precise, repeatable stroke (each of those words is very important) -- master those and you're on your merry way.

Second, is paying deep attention to all the variables of hit on the CB, it's speed and spin, and angles off the OBs and rails.

Third, is aiming which, if you've taken care of one and two, is almost an afterthought and will take care of itself.

Lou Figueroa

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

YES

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I seem to lately just get down on my shot line on a long angle shot, and eyeball my aim point, and shoot, and im not missing?????? Is it possible that i have hit so many shots in practice that i can now find my shot line in my mind and zero in and shoot???
Yes.

You learned how the balls look.

I don't use any aiming systems unless the balls look funny or something is off that day. Aiming is reference.

I'm guessing it also means you're becoming more consistent with your shot/stroke. Aiming actually is one of the easier parts of pool, a bad stroke, throw/cue ball address misses more shots than aim ever will.

Seasoned players can account for variables like humidity or dirty balls causing more throw, etc. In other words, after you reach a certain proficiency, It's more than likely not your aim that causes misses.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You think you hit a million balls in 5 years?

ballston

Registered

For clarification, are you first looking behind the object ball at its path straight to the pocket to determine the edge to hit, and then moving to the shot line? Or are you skipping that first look behind the object ball and going directly to the shot line?

I think you and I are similar--I'm 68 and playing APA 9 ball and not running three packs either!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

This is exactly the result that a lot of players get after using Poolology for just a short time. And that's the goal of the system - to get your eyes familiar enough with the cut angles so that you no longer have to rely on the system to determine where to aim. You simply recognize the shots when you see them.

Of course, this same end result (shot familiarization) eventually occurs when using the old 5-lines fractional aiming method, or ghostball or contact points or whatever for a long enough period of time, countless shots. It just takes a longer to reach that point, due to the trial and error involved with guesstimating which fractional line to reference, or guesstimating exactly where the cb must contact the ob, or guesstimating exactly where the center of the ghostball needs to be.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know the exact number of balls hit, but i can say that i have played/practiced pool at home for 2-3 hours a day, for over 4 years. Never really missing a day. After reading that sentence, you would think im simi pro!!!!!!!!!! Not quite.
I move too much, shoot too fast, have big fat fingers, cant bend down close to the cue, ect, ect. But i totally enjoy just hitting balls, playing the ghost, and shooting pool in General.