9BallKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Inlays

Dennis' inlays are better than nearly all others IMHO

You say how?

I say look at them and you will still say looks like the rest?!

But I've seen other makers including my favorites (will not name) under a loop and its scary &

Look at Dennis' inlays under a loop and they are flawless n sharp

You might say why do I care what I can't see? Well IMHO I take precision stuff like that very seriously and admire ones talents who go the extra level to ensure prefect or near perfect art, hence the name precision cues!

It's the littl things folks that count!!!

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Green for you sir. Very very true. But...
Those who wants to have a collection should not miss a cheap (5k) Searing. That's the problem. Because he makes maybe 2 cues/year he became the Holly Grail of cuemaking. Tony at BB also.
I had 2 Searing cues when my collection was sold 1 year ago. They went under Gina and Gus even Tascarela in that deal and the guy who bought everything has over 100 big cues. He told me it should be like this because tradition and experience should always beat exclusiveness.
I do believe he was right.
Sorry for offtopic.
Free bump....but mark my words: you won't regret the investment if you'll decide to buy a nice JossWest or a Hercek/Tascarela/Gina/Tad. You'll have a ln amazing player and a collectible cue.

All the best.
Sent from my SCH-I535

Dennis makes more along the lines of 10 to 12 cues a year. I don't know Black Boars's numbers but I think its more than that.

That thing the guy who bought your collection told you sounds far more to me like the buyer "educating" the seller in order to take advantage of him.

Kevin

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Dennis' inlays are better than nearly all others IMHO

You say how?

I say look at them and you will still say looks like the rest?!

But I've seen other makers including my favorites (will not name) under a loop and its scary &

Look at Dennis' inlays under a loop and they are flawless n sharp

You might say why do I care what I can't see? Well IMHO I take precision stuff like that very seriously and admire ones talents who go the extra level to ensure prefect or near perfect art, hence the name precision cues!

It's the littl things folks that count!!!

100%

Of course.

The reason Dennis makes so few cues is exactly because he is nutty for precision and its very hard for him to let something leave his shop before it's perfect. And perfect is very very very hard to achieve. Perfection is impossible with wood and blades and glue, all you can do is aspire and Dennis's aspirations in that regard run higher than most, if not everyone else. Dennis's mania for perfection is what makes his cues so precise and also why he builds as few cues as he does

Kevin

Last edited:

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
296   0   0
Green for you sir. Very very true. But...
Those who wants to have a collection should not miss a cheap (5k) Searing. That's the problem. Because he makes maybe 2 cues/year he became the Holly Grail of cuemaking. Tony at BB also.
I had 2 Searing cues when my collection was sold 1 year ago. They went under Gina and Gus even Tascarela in that deal and the guy who bought everything has over 100 big cues. He told me it should be like this because tradition and experience should always beat exclusiveness.
I do believe he was right.
Sorry for offtopic.
Free bump....but mark my words: you won't regret the investment if you'll decide to buy a nice JossWest or a Hercek/Tascarela/Gina/Tad. You'll have a ln amazing player and a collectible cue.

All the best.
Sent from my SCH-I535

Well, LOL, I think if I gave a number Dennis would kill me but the number is way over 2.

Now I have the GREATEST respect for all cue makers mentioned but a Searing Merry Widow just went on ebay for right at 4K (Used 97 I believe) which I would bet the person that sold it made a hefty profit.

Dennis has a lot of talants other than Cue Making. If he was making only 2 cues a year and lets make them 10K per cue that would give him 20K per year for equipment, wood, rent (yes he has a physical shop address other than home).

Based on that he could not eat for $20,000 a year. His personal equipment he has made could be sold for over 2 Cues a year and people would beg to buy it.

Than there is the expence of Ashes Beauty treatments. Ashes could not live on 20K a year. Ashes besides being the brains is high maintanence.
photo.jpg

Last edited:

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   1
You want exclusive? Precision inlays? With astronomical (almost non-existent) secondary market pricing? Think BIG DADDY cues!!!!

Scott <<== BOS

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Well, LOL, I think if I gave a number Dennis would kill me but the number is way over 2.

Now I have the GREATEST respect for all cue makers mentioned but a Searing Merry Widow just went on ebay for right at 4K (Used 97 I believe) which I would bet the person that sold it made a hefty profit.

Dennis has a lot of talants other than Cue Making. If he was making only 2 cues a year and lets make them 10K per cue that would give him 20K per year for equipment, wood, rent (yes he has a physical shop address other than home).

Based on that he could not eat for $20,000 a year. His personal equipment he has made could be sold for over 2 Cues a year and people would beg to buy it.

Than there is the expence of Ashes Beauty treatments. Ashes could not live on 20K a year. Ashes besides being the brains is high maintanence.
View attachment 286011

Maybe if he was the only one making the bacon, but I think there is another farmer in the house...;)

I don't think Dennis has to make any money period.

Ken

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0

View attachment 286011

Duke and Duchess Gina give Ashes Searing the 5 out and the breaks for shop mutts

kddweb.jpg

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I am truly in disbelief at the ignorant statements and comments being made in this thread.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.6%
229   1   0
Duke and Duchess Gina give Ashes Searing the 5 out and the breaks for shop mutts

I wouldn't be too sure about that... I hear Ashes is very exclusive and fights like no other. He could not be had for less than $4K. Besides that, there are only about 2 of those dogs made a year. They do not need to make any money either, they fight for the love of fighting.

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
296   0   0
Maybe if he was the only one making the bacon, but I think there is another farmer in the house...;)

I don't think Dennis has to make any money period.

Ken

Dennis had his own shop fully equiped waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before there was any other Bread Winners making one of the highest respected cues in the industry

Some people do not understand the man works mostly 7 day weeks.

In the about 30 years I have known Dennis I have never heard him say a bad word about even people I know he does not like.

This thread shows why he and other great Custom Cue makers that people would like to learn from do not post.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
There is a level of ignorance in this thread that takes cue and construction ignorance to a whole new level.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Dennis had his own shop fully equiped waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before there was any other Bread Winners making one of the highest respected cues in the industry

Some people do not understand the man works mostly 7 day weeks.

In the about 30 years I have known Dennis I have never heard him say a bad word about even people I know he does not like.

This thread shows why he and other great Custom Cue makers that people would like to learn from do not post.

Tom -

Don't get your panties in a bunch. No disrespect intended.

If he wins the lottery tomorrow, and someone says he really doesn't need to make cues to make any money, would you bring up the he build that before he won the lottery....geez.

The whole country is so PC.

Give me a break.

Best of rolls,

Ken

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hell Chris's Searing player is so nice, "so rare",and I don't even have to hit with it to know it plays because it does. You may say well if you don't hit with it how do you know it plays? It's easy ;

1. It's a full custom Searing
2. Chris Said it does
3. I know it does because every one I've played with did
4. Never seen a Searing that didn't play
5. His construction technique
6. His theory about cues
7. Dennis himself can play Better than most people so he tends to know how a cue should play
8. Materials are top picks
9. List goes on and on

Most people cut or knock down something that they know very little about or do not understand

THAT'S WHY I OFFERED CHRIS OVER 6k FOR HIS PLAYER WITHOUT HESITATION BUT HE'S SMART ENOUGH NOT TO SELL IT BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING FACTS N MORE

That is the hidden secret that the basher's don't know,Dennis is a world class player also!
P.S.>>>>>>>>>Art would give his kidney for that "plain cue"

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Beautiful dogs, are those mutts or purebred? Also look like puppies, is that the case?

Yeah beauties, purebred Rotties that live at the Gina shop. Good eye on the age. In that pic the Duke (background mouth open) is totally a puppy and hasn't learned not to snap to play yet. Duchess was a little older but also puppy age. I think the pic was maybe taken 2 years ago. They are pretty well grown now, The male is a bully and the female a total sweetie (unless you are a stranger at the gate in which case they both can be a mite bit intimidating).

Kevin