Is it possible to get a decent custom cue for the money Im gonna spend?

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ive been playing seriously for about 3 years now and time to move on from my players cue, as the butt has broken on it anyway. I have a bonus Im getting in a couple weeks and pretty well set on getting a Poison Anthrax AX-6 (http://www.ozonebilliards.com/pocueanax6.html) with a Kamui black soft tip and a Stealth AT-1 jump cue.

Ill be spending about $315 on the Poison cue with tip, is it possible to find a decent custom cue for that price? And what is the difference between getting one of Poisons top cues, and a possibly lower to middle of the road custom?

Edit: This is my first post, been lurking for a while, drooling over some of the awesome cues I see in the for sale section, but just not sure what the difference in buying a LD shaft cue with a uni-loc, and a custom made cue.

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Ive been playing seriously for about 3 years now and time to move on from my players cue, as the butt has broken on it anyway. I have a bonus Im getting in a couple weeks and pretty well set on getting a Poison Anthrax AX-6 (http://www.ozonebilliards.com/pocueanax6.html) with a Kamui black soft tip and a Stealth AT-1 jump cue.

Ill be spending about $315 on the Poison cue with tip, is it possible to find a decent custom cue for that price? And what is the difference between getting one of Poisons top cues, and a possibly lower to middle of the road custom?

Edit: This is my first post, been lurking for a while, drooling over some of the awesome cues I see in the for sale section, but just not sure what the difference in buying a LD shaft cue with a uni-loc, and a custom made cue.

In my opinion no you really could not get a decent custom in that price range unless you were looking for good Sneaky Pete style cue. However, for the money you paid, I do think you could have purchased an American made production cue from many of the name brands. As for the joint used on the cue you purchased, it is only preference and nothing more, I doubt it will make the cue play an better or any worst, it all depends on what you like and how it feel to you.

The main difference between buying a custom cue from most custom cue makers and what you have purchased is the guaranty. Most cue makers stand behind what they build to the original buyer, if the problem is construction related. In fact many of the American production manufactures are also offering a warranty on their products, even shaft warp-age in some cases. The cue you purchased doesn't come with this type of guaranty to my knowledge, and as far as repair is concerned 99% of the companies that are importing cues do not have a repair facility here to correct the problems that occur.

Good luck with you purchase.

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
I havent yet made the purchase, that is just the cue thats caught my eye.

Thanks for the advice! Next cue, I guess Ill be saving up for.

Poisin is manufactured by Predator. Is it just an overseas version from them? And what would you then recommend? My original choice was a Lucasi LP-30 (http://www.ozonebilliards.com/lucasicueslp30.html), I just really like the look of the poison and the fact it comes with a LD shaft.

On a side note, I have played with a McDermott, Lucasi, Predator, and a custom Schmelke to name a few that other guys in league have, and personally liked the Predator, its just a little out of my price range.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Craig about being able to find a nice sneaky pete in that price range. With a little bit more cash, you can get a brand new one, such as a Frey SP (http://www.cuesnthings.com/cues/sneakypete/) and you can definitely find a cheaper one for less than that Poison cue would cost if you found one used.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
In my opinion no you really could not get a decent custom in that price range unless you were looking for good Sneaky Pete style cue. However, for the money you paid, I do think you could have purchased an American made production cue from many of the name brands. As for the joint used on the cue you purchased, it is only preference and nothing more, I doubt it will make the cue play an better or any worst, it all depends on what you like and how it feel to you.

The main difference between buying a custom cue from most custom cue makers and what you have purchased is the guaranty. Most cue makers stand behind what they build to the original buyer, if the problem is construction related. In fact many of the American production manufactures are also offering a warranty on their products, even shaft warp-age in some cases. The cue you purchased doesn't come with this type of guaranty to my knowledge, and as far as repair is concerned 99% of the companies that are importing cues do not have a repair facility here to correct the problems that occur.

Good luck with you purchase.

AMEN.:thumbup: CHECK OUT THIS DEAL........It is a SLEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I havent yet made the purchase, that is just the cue thats caught my eye.

Thanks for the advice! Next cue, I guess Ill be saving up for.

Poisin is manufactured by Predator. Is it just an overseas version from them? And what would you then recommend? My original choice was a Lucasi LP-30 (http://www.ozonebilliards.com/lucasicueslp30.html), I just really like the look of the poison and the fact it comes with a LD shaft.

On a side note, I have played with a McDermott, Lucasi, Predator, and a custom Schmelke to name a few that other guys in league have, and personally liked the Predator, its just a little out of my price range.

Just to help you out with a little information all cues made by Predator are made in China, except a few Special edition models that were made by well known US Custom Cue Makers.

As far the Lucasi, the cue you are buying is no better or worst than that, however, in my opinion for the money your spending I think you could do much better buying something that is made in the USA or made by a US Custom Builder. I just can not justify the price of the import cues in my mind, the quality is just not there in my opinion.

Like I said in my first post you can buy an American production cue for the money your spending and get a warranty and a an LD Shaft for the cue.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps, just remember when you buy a cue looks are secondary, how the cue plays and feels to you should be the most important thing you consider.

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the pointers guys, If the Madden is still around when my bonus comes in in a few weeks, maybe Ill just pick it up.

Just wondering why it hasnt been picked up if its such a good deal. Not being facetious in anyway, just an honest question.

Shiftysmooth

Just The Tip cue repairs
Gold Member
Silver Member
After some more lurking, Ive sent a PM to Bill the Cat after one of his really caught my eye, Ill let you guys know how it goes!!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i think you should get yourself a lil al. al romero makes a great cue for about what you're willing to s pend. i've seen a few sell on here for exactly what you're looking to spend.

i'd avoid the poison cues for another year or two. i think they're ok right now but i bet they get better in about a year

JohnDoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to say this, but for 200 dollars or so, you can always grab a Dale Perry cue off of eBay, and for the amount of money spent, not such a bad idea. The two or three I've held in my hands beat even the best US production cues (which in my opinion are way ahead of the lucasi or other import cues) in the same price range.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to help you out with a little information all cues made by Predator are made in China, except a few Special edition models that were made by well known US Custom Cue Makers.

As far the Lucasi, the cue you are buying is no better or worst than that, however, in my opinion for the money your spending I think you could do much better buying something that is made in the USA or made by a US Custom Builder. I just can not justify the price of the import cues in my mind, the quality is just not there in my opinion.

Like I said in my first post you can buy an American production cue for the money your spending and get a warranty and a an LD Shaft for the cue.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps, just remember when you buy a cue looks are secondary, how the cue plays and feels to you should be the most important thing you consider.

Amen Craig.....If I were to ever buy another production cue, it would probably be a Pechauer, maybe a Schon. Other than that, customs all the way baby! :thumbup:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

PM Sent..................

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
just a thought, do some research about cuemakers who hang out around here and decide if theres one you like, contact them, relay your budget and what you would like. Some of these guys will build a hell of a cue for 4-500 bucks. Use your money for deposit/down payment, by the time its done in a couple of months you will have hopefully saved up the rest of the money. This way you get a cue made just for you and that actually has some meaning.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My cues are in that price range....

There's a good thought...
The only advice I'll offer beyond what you've heard about going w/ an American product for warranty & service sake is...
Choose a conventional joint style & diameter (3/8-10, 5/16-14, etc), w/ plain black or black w/ silver ring collars. That way you'll have ready accessibility for after market shafts that will fit & look right. The shafts specs are the "cue performance" factor that you're most likely to have adjustments to learn thru. Changing tips, ferrules, etc, will make differences, but basic taper, diameter, etc, specs are more difficult to toy with, and the changes can't be reversed. Get something you can adjust weight in, too - but you need to be in the close ball park on weight & balance point to begin with. Otherwise adjustments can be ungainly.

Last edited:

kasparovII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:(Just my opinion but You can pick up a basic Peschauer With a 314-2 Predator shaft at Seybert's known as the Peschauer 314 Custom. It will cost you about $360.00 shipped and is a very good playing cue that also gives you Peschauer's lifetime warranty. I'm waiting for an ArnotQ custom while playing with it. And I must say, it beats the he'll out of a Poisen all day long. Its a great buy considering the price of a new 314-2 shaft. It also features a really good stainless steel joint...Pescauer's patented "Speed Joint". Its a quick release joint that always stays tight....unlike the uni-locs. All in all a nice playing cue for the money.

Last edited:

Trapped Tarheel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing beats the Feel.

As everyone logged in keeps saying. American Custom whether slightly used or brand new can be found in the $300 range. Rat cues are all solid players, Jacoby Cues, and several others make plain jane, sneaky pete, Hustler style cues all in this price range and stand strongly behind their workmanship.

The feel of the hit and the playability is always going to be your personal preference and as most of the guys on here will most likely attest. The search is long and always evolving for the "PERFECT" weapon for each of us.

Good Luck with your quest!!

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I would go with a RAT. You also could consider Joss, ( I didn't say dale perry on e-bay but they are there. )