Status
Not open for further replies.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Seconded that.
The End!
That’s all folks!
I'd give up if I was you too. A little bit of healthy skepticism was good for all early on but it turned into the irrational ramblings of a sad and delusional few soon after.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRJ

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'd give up if I was you too. A little bit of healthy skepticism was good for all early on but it turned into the irrational ramblings of a sad and delusional few soon after.

BAM.

gerryf

As any 14.1 player knows: if the balls open up just a wee bit more because of dry conditions it is huge.

Lou Figueroa
Yes, i can see that, depending on the pattern.

I can understand that a fast dry cloth would make a bit of a difference, but I'm not sure it amounts to all that much. If it was a major factor, it's easy to duplicate, and there would be dozens of runs higher than 500. All the top players that have the skills to set personal records in the 200-400 range would be doing it.

Did anyone who saw the Schmidt video think that the balls were spreading abnormally easy? No one mentioned it, and there were top players in attendance, and they commented on the many difficult situations that Schmidt extracted himself from.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, i can see that, depending on the pattern.

I can understand that a fast dry cloth would make a bit of a difference, but I'm not sure it amounts to all that much. If it was a major factor, it's easy to duplicate, and there would be dozens of runs higher than 500. All the top players that have the skills to set personal records in the 200-400 range would be doing it.

Did anyone who saw the Schmidt video think that the balls were spreading abnormally easy? No one mentioned it, and there were top players in attendance, and they commented on the many difficult situations that Schmidt extracted himself from.

Small amounts of separation are significant at 14.1 and players will often just barely nudge clusters enough to make one or two frozen ball makable to open up the rest of the cluster.

And I disagree about there being more runs. The game of 14.1 just isn't that popular and most high caliber players spend their time honing their rotation and 1pocket skills. There just hasn't been any incentive to become more proficient at 14.1 much less set high run records. I think BC's project, The Legends of Straight Pool, will change that.

Lou Figueroa

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are not apart of their 'semi public' thats is OK, also if you have a table and practice 14.1 on a regular basis - your opinion is valuable to me. Please note that I do like Westerns - just not the one schmidt, charlie and the bca are TRYING to produce. If yer a member of john's facebook crowd - yer opinion has less value. Only honest answers are appreciated - I am passionate about the game and keeping it legit so I again I'm only interested in reading genuine responses. Thanks for your participation in what is very possibly another media experiment on the 'general public'. So is it legit? Or do you think (like me) it had a great deal to do with his recent new cue sponsor and hall of fame induction? Also do ya'll think they ( crooked powrs that b) have a legal right to make such a grandiose claim and not offer the video to general population - as proof of their 'claim'?
Biden won.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Can anyone imagine the conversation if the Mosconi run was on a 9 footer and John choose an oversize 8?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone imagine the conversation if the Mosconi run was on a 9 footer and John choose an oversize 8?

Well shoot.

As long as we’re all putting on our fairy princess outfits and dreaming of pretty things: can anyone imagine the conversation if Brunswick had just offered Willie $10,000 for running over 7-800 balls?

No, Cause we would be having any conversation about 626.

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Well shoot.

As long as we’re all putting on our fairy princess outfits and dreaming of pretty things: can anyone imagine the conversation if Brunswick had just offered Willie $10,000 for running over 7-800 balls?

Lou Figueroa
Sure, we can do that one next.

I don't exactly see it as equally academic but OK.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well shoot.

Lou Figueroa
Brunswick did more than offer Mr. Mosconi $10k for running over 7-800 balls...

John had no such guarantees.

Reactions: KRJ

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As any 14.1 player knows: if the balls open up just a wee bit more because of dry conditions it is huge.

Lou Figueroa
Same for snooker. There are more century’s now than ever before. Are the players that much better? Nope. Just touch the reds and the pack opens up more. Why? The balls have more elasticity and the cloth is faster. Those little differences account for why guys are running 100 century’s in a season now.

gerryf

Yeah, Jimmy Caras said the only reason to miss on an 8-footer was fatigue. Doesn't seem to be true for a 9-footer.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The legitimacy of the run depends on his motivation? What if Brunswick had offered Schmidt more for running 7-800 balls?

All these what-if scenarios (on both sides) are irrelevant. What if we simply deal with what has actually happened?

pj
chgo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The legitimacy of the run depends on his motivation? What if Brunswick had offered Schmidt more for running 7-800 balls?

All these what-if scenarios (on both sides) are irrelevant. What if we simply deal with what has actually happened?

pj
chgo
Screenshot_20210128-082549.jpg

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

gee, I just don't recall tying in the issue of legitimacy into our little Twilight Zone episode.

Lou Figueroa

gerryf

And I disagree about there being more runs. The game of 14.1 just isn't that popular and most high caliber players spend their time honing their rotation and 1pocket skills. There just hasn't been any incentive to become more proficient at 14.1 much less set high run records. I think BC's project, The Legends of Straight Pool, will change that.

Lou Figueroa
I think if fast dry cloth made a huge difference, the day after the JS 626, Danny Harriman would have ripped apart his table and installed a new cloth and massive heaters. He did try that, didn't he?

Hohman, Filler, Ko, Orcollo and many others as well.

There's all kinds of variables, but the biggest one is the player's skill, which Schmidt seems to have.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Well shoot.

Lou Figueroa
Yeah, that record would have been busted up too, ;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if fast dry cloth made a huge difference, the day after the JS 626, Danny Harriman would have ripped apart his table and installed a new cloth and massive heaters. He did try that, didn't he?

Hohman, Filler, Ko, Orcollo and many others as well.

There's all kinds of variables, but the biggest one is the player's skill, which Schmidt seems to have.

I don't know, ask them.

And it has been proven in many sports that player skill can be amplified with the right conditions/equipment.

Lou Figueroa

Status
Not open for further replies.