Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any news update you can share Lou, regarding Bobby's event? (Excuse me if you will, if I missed any recent post about it.)

Arnaldo, I think we are getting closer.

BC is trying to capture some interviews to add some historical context to the whole subject of 14.1 high runs. I'm going to be on the East Coast in a few days. My schedule is kinda tight but I'm hoping to be able to stop in and check out the venue in DC. If not I plan to return for a longer visit once things take off.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen one recently. Someone posted a scan of one of his books. Might have been Willie’s Game.

Photo please.

RJ said, "...in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms." That may certainly be true, I just don't recall and would like to see. Just flipping through my copy of "Willie's Game" I didn't spot such a photo.

Lou Figueroa

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Photo please.

RJ said, "...in some of Mosconi's books, he has photos of his high runs on a plaque and hanging in various pool rooms." That may certainly be true, I just don't recall and would like to see. Just flipping through my copy of "Willie's Game" I didn't spot such a photo.

Lou Figueroa
I’ll hunt it down..The photo was of a plaque and date of a then high run of Willie’s, hanging at an establishment. The run was in the 400s,I believe. The chapter IIRC discussed two such runs. Others must have seen this as well. Seemed important enough, and suggests that Willie would go for high runs. no idea why he would continue any exhibition run considering how many he was doing.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnaldo, I think we are getting closer.

BC is trying to capture some interviews to add some historical context to the whole subject of 14.1 high runs. I'm going to be on the East Coast in a few days. My schedule is kinda tight but I'm hoping to be able to stop in and check out the venue in DC. If not I plan to return for a longer visit once things take off.

Lou Figueroa
Lou, I'm certain that between Bobby and yourself you're both aware of many historically-contextual, potential interviewees, but FWIW I know of a number of greats who also have living relatives with an event-enriching supply of anecdotes.

Some who come to mind are Crane, Caras, Mizerak's namesake son, Dorothy Wise, Mosconi, Balsis -- all of whose male or female relatives are project-ably knowledgeable for Bobby's purpose. And certainly Petey Margo has abundant, interview-worthy insights on the subject of extraordinary, and consistent high runs he has witnessed and engaged in.

Arnaldo

gerryf

Another record mentioned in Mosconi's book is

Best grand average, world tournament—averaged 18.34 balls per inning, Chicago, 1950
The 1950 World Championship had 12 contestants.

In that section of his book, Mosconi talks about the change from 10 foot to 9 foot tables,
However, in August of 1949, the BCA shortened the standard pool table from five by ten feet to four and a half by nine. They also widened the corner pockets from five to five and a half inches and the side pockets from four and a half to five. One reason for the change in table size was that manufacturers were producing five-by-tens only for championship play. The proprietors of pool halls had been ordering the smaller tables for years because they could fit more of them into their rooms. But essentially the changes were intended to speed play and generate excitement with the likelihood of longer runs. By way of compensation, the number of points needed to win a game was increased from 125 to 150 for national and world competition. How much of a difference did all of that make? Enough to say that starting in 1950 the game of pocket billiards was transformed; it became a markedly different game.
...​
It no longer made much sense to play defense. On the one hand the shots were easier to make; on the other, it was more difficult to leave your opponent safe, for he would always be closer to the object ball than he would have been on the larger table. Almost immediately, records began to fall,
Cohen, Stanley; Mosconi, Willie. Willie's Game: An Autobiography . Open Road Media. Kindle Edition.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll hunt it down..The photo was of a plaque and date of a then high run of Willie’s, hanging at an establishment. The run was in the 400s,I believe. The chapter IIRC discussed two such runs. Others must have seen this as well. Seemed important enough, and suggests that Willie would go for high runs. no idea why he would continue any exhibition run considering how many he was doing.
Cash?

logical

apart of their 'semi public'
Silver Member
Are we giving ribbons out for things we could have done if we wanted to now?...how special.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuedup

IKR

He could have run over a 1000 but he didnt want to. He stopped when he did so he could get home in time to catch Lawrence Welk.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IKR

He could have run over a 1000 but he didnt want to. He stopped when he did so he could get home in time to catch Lawrence Welk.

lol, probably closer to the truth than some of the other speculative baloney being sliced up here.

Of course that would have just been on Saturdays. Sundays it would have been to get to his hotel in time to watch The Ed Sullivan Show and maybe Bonanza.

Lou Figueroa

Cuedup

His high run was before Bonanza came on the air, but yes, lots of woulda, coulda, mights have and probablys in all the speculation.

He did run 526. He was satisfied with that run and apparently didnt try to top it. Could he have? Maybe, but he didnt. That record stood for many decades which is a testament to its difficulty.
Now the record is 626. I doubt that record will stand nearly as long but time will tell.

Cuedup

No doubt.
But I figure when all the broke pool players see how rich and famous JS became when he broke the record many will set out to best it.

wait....

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I don't know. It takes a special kind of lunatic to even make the attempt.
But why not? After all, it should be easy...special cloth to make the balls spread out more, heaters under the table... supposed shaved slate...anyone should be able to run several hundred under such conditions ;)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou in DC?

I hope to buy him a beer and play him one set, loser has to stop posting in this thread.

Loser can post in the thread again ONLY if each post subsequently made in this thread begins with:
_____ beat me at pool.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou in DC?

I hope to buy him a beer and play him one set, loser has to stop posting in this thread.

Loser can post in the thread again ONLY if each post subsequently made in this thread begins with:
_____ beat me at pool.

Sorry, won't be packing a pool cue this trip.

Besides, if/when we play I'd rather just play you a set of 1pocket for cash : -)

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, won't be packing a pool cue this trip.

Besides, if/when we play I'd rather just play you a set of 1pocket for cash : -)

Lou Figueroa
I think bobby might have an extra cue or two. I can likely dig up 3 or 4 more at my house.

I can't play any damn 1p . I might be open to a 1p ball running challenge though. I gotta shoot at my pocket every couple turns or I might pay you to let me quit.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think bobby might have an extra cue or two. I can likely dig up 3 or 4 more at my house.

I can't play any damn 1p . I might be open to a 1p ball running challenge though. I gotta shoot at my pocket every couple turns or I might pay you to let me quit.

Well, I usually play with one of my two Ginas so maybe if you have one of those laying around.

Anywhos, if you don't know how to properly play 1pocket I'd be more than happy to give you a lesson. It won't take long.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't know -- the table is gone.

Lou Figueroa
Well it seems from all the chatter that the "world pro" has put up on this subject that the specifications are known so they should be able to be duplicated.

Just ask him to set one up for you.

Show us how a city champion does it. I looked at your belt buckle and it's neat but unfortunately it's not a state championship.