Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing about it being on YouTube is that they can produce spinoff videos indefinitely to keep generating views of both the original video and the new content. Best racks, best shots, voiceovers/walkthroughs of tough situations, Rollie or Dr. Dave trying to replicate shots, and so on.
More work : More money?

Unacceptable!!!

middleofnowhere

Registered
P
If only everyone thought like you. Others feel like if they bought it, they can do what ever they want with it...and straight to youtube they go trying to be the first to load it so THEY can try and make money from the advertising clicks, then, everyone can watch it for free, because that's what the pool playing viewers truly believe, that EVERYONE should be able to watch for free, and NO ONE should get paid!!!
Problem with your comment is, you answer the question. The value of pool is nothing. The market has proven that for a long time. Pool is free now on YouTube, it's all over the place and no one watches.
You are talking about selling something people don't even want for free. Not much of a marketing idea.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
P

Problem with your comment is, you answer the question. The value of pool is nothing. The market has proven that for a long time. Pool is free now on YouTube, it's all over the place and no one watches.
You are talking about selling something people don't even want for free. Not much of a marketing idea.
Are you aware of the 700M impressions pool videos had on Facebook last year? How about YouTube with a $1+Billion impressions for the pool videos alone? Those impressions are what advertisers pay for, even if you post a video for the world to watch for free, if it generates views/impressions....it generates $$$ to the person that loaded it!

middleofnowhere

Registered
Are you aware of the 700M impressions pool videos had on Facebook last year? How about YouTube with a $1+Billion impressions for the pool videos alone? Those impressions are what advertisers pay for, even if you post a video for the world to watch for free, if it generates views/impressions....it generates $$$ to the person that loaded it!
Then where is all this pool interest when it comes to pool rooms and tournaments? Pool rooms are going under. No one but real fanatics attend any tournaments and most don't want to pay. The jury is not out on this. Pool is not a spectator sport and except for the hardcore fans, no one is watching.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Then where is all this pool interest when it comes to pool rooms and tournaments? Pool rooms are going under. No one but real fanatics attend any tournaments and most don't want to pay. The jury is not out on this. Pool is not a spectator sport and except for the hardcore fans, no one is watching.
So, let me get this straight, it was HARD CORE fans that clicked on all the pool videos on Facebook last year, all 700M of them.....HARD CORE FANS?

middleofnowhere

Registered
So, let me get this straight, it was HARD CORE fans that clicked on all the pool videos on Facebook last year, all 700M of them.....HARD CORE FANS?
Does it make any difference. It doesn't seem to be visible in the real world. It doesn't translate into pool growth. There are millions of views on all kinds of subjects from armchairs. That is all they are. If it wasn't free they would watch something else. I like to watch wood working videos as well as RV channels on youtube. Haven't done either in years. These numbers are false impressions of reality. Empty pool rooms at 8pm, tournaments that can't get sponsors or draw specitators that is reality. Pool is what it is, a pass time not a sport.

kanzzo

hobby player
If only everyone thought like you. Others feel like if they bought it, they can do what ever they want with it...and straight to youtube they go trying to be the first to load it so THEY can try and make money from the advertising clicks, then, everyone can watch it for free, because that's what the pool playing viewers truly believe, that EVERYONE should be able to watch for free, and NO ONE should get paid!!!

There are ways to prevent digital pyracy. It took me less then 10 minutes to research.

You could read on digital watermarking (wikipedia). Distribution of copyrighted material is obviously illegal and everyone buying the copy should agree to the terms and conditions (like only using the video for private use). With digital watermarking every copy of the run has an individual watermark, like an invisible serial number. Now if one copy ends up on youtube or some other sharing platform, you can easily check the watermark to see, which customer violated the user agreement and you sue him big time for all the missing revenue in the same time getting the video down from the sharing platform.

I am sure there are services, that do this work for you. Searching for your video to appear on the usual platform can be surely automated.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Then where is all this pool interest when it comes to pool rooms and tournaments?
You're kidding right? The days of the minnows being eaten by the piranhas ended a long time ago. What you have today is the dying out of the gamblers, being replaced by the viewers that are satisfied watching pool for entertainment, not as a way of making a living anymore!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Does it make any difference. It doesn't seem to be visible in the real world. It doesn't translate into pool growth. There are millions of views on all kinds of subjects from armchairs. That is all they are. If it wasn't free they would watch something else. I like to watch wood working videos as well as RV channels on youtube. Haven't done either in years. These numbers are false impressions of reality. Empty pool rooms at 8pm, tournaments that can't get sponsors or draw specitators that is reality. Pool is what it is, a pass time not a sport.
And yet the bar table business is booming, while the pool rooms that refuse to see the changes they need to make in order to stay in business, are closing their doors! All you have to do is open your eyes and look around!!

telinoz

Registered
So, in conclusion to the title of this thread and the case made comparing it to the recent record and the circumstances around that. The answer is yes, sure if we are working at the same level which has been poor and vague at best. Balls potted on tables that are different, that cannot be verified to documented standards from the official body that ratifies equipment. Not a professional record, more of a nice achievement record which is still impressive nonetheless.

Any future level can be much higher without much effort.
As in, before the event kicks off you get a BCA rep who will ratify a record based on their published and freely available equipment specs which have upper and lower dimensions clearly defined.
Second point, feel free to stream it and be clear up front that if a record looks to be broken the stream will be cut. The final recording, will be sent for ratification and made public once done so.
The full video will then be sold on whatever platform the organisor wants, as is fair as its their IP. No harm in trying to make some money.
As would be paying the player, from any milestones set in a sponsorship agreement etc.

It is not a hard thing to do right. It really is not.
You can then claim, without dispute, a professional record has been set on standardised equipment.
Conditions that can be replicated so future attempts are on the same playing field.

This is why Snooker, professional Snooker does not have this silly and avoidable arguments vs. Pool.
All records since WPBSA started in the 70's have been based on standards. They have pocket templates and clearly defined measurements, which is ironic as BCA and WPA do as well.... But, people willingly choose to not follow that and dig themselves into a hole. That is just plain dumb.
You won't see people question Ronnie's fastest 147, or any century break made.. Any of the hundreds of records in Snooker... Most balls potted unanswered, for closet one to the 14.1 runs..

TLDR:
There are equipment standards, follow them to be legitimate.
Communicate up front how an event will run, don't deviate.
Have an IQ above a rock.

middleofnowhere

Registered
And yet the bar table business is booming, while the pool rooms that refuse to see the changes they need to make in order to stay in business, are closing their doors! All you have to do is open your eyes and look around!!
I'm not so sure the bar room business is booming it's a bit of an overstatement. I do agree that the pool room as we've known it is probably dead and pool now is small ballroom tables and that's it.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not so sure the bar room business is booming it's a bit of an overstatement. I do agree that the pool room as we've known it is probably dead and pool now is small ballroom tables and that's it.
Well, I happen to know what the production records are for Diamond, and I'm telling you there's a substantial growth in the bar table market. They set another record year in production for 2021, and keeping on schedule for 2022, they'll pass last years production by at least another 25% again.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Y
You keep thinking pool is only played in the United States, and that's what your model is, but pool is a world played sport, with the world OUTSIDE of the United States producing better players every year leaving the American players sucking hind tit, because they're getting worse, not better!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Name the last time an American player won a major tournament held in the United States, that should tell you something right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.