Is there magic in the cue? A cue that played amazing Could be anything

WobblyStroke

Yeah I got that feeling for about 6 months. At the time I was playing around 5 hours a day. and Once I sold the shaft I just thought, I'll go and get another. It will be the same. What an idiot I was, for thinking that!!!
6months at 5hrs/day is an entirely different thing than the fleeting new equipment syndrome. smh...how do you mess with magic? An alchemist shoulda known better.

George the Greek

Georgie!….no snooker tables left at Le Spot.
I heard that! I'm in Nova Scotia now and have to drive a half hour or more to get to a poolroom. There's a few rooms with snooker tables but haven't been there yet. We're building a new house here and I'm going to buy a 9ft for the basement then start playing in some local tourneys

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yup, real but psychological (so fleeting). "New cue syndrome" is what I've heard it called.

Since it's psychological, I bet it can be stimulated psychologically, without the cue - maybe become part of the PSR. Good candidate for a psychological "trigger" or "anchor" like those suggested for summoning the zone.

pj
chgo

This is a great point. What we tell ourselves in our mind, whether it's about our skills or equipment, can certainly affect how we perform.

I've been playing with a Mezz cue now for about 10 years or so. I love how it feels when the tip strikes the ball. I've played with so many different cues here and there, and everytime I find one that feels great, I remind myself that it feels no greater than my Mezz.

So many players are always looking for that magical cue, the one that makes them feel like they're worldclass. They go through more cues in a year or two than most of us will own in a lifetime, all for that fleeting feeling of playing great and feeling great. And when the feeling fades, they go shopping for more magic. Funny thing is, the magic isn't in the cue - it's buried somewhere in the clutter of their own mind.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6months at 5hrs/day is an entirely different thing than the fleeting new equipment syndrome. smh...how do you mess with magic? An alchemist shoulda known better.
Ha ha, Yeah I know, I learnt my lesson. If I find another, that feels like that. I'll be sure to keep it.
Its not not something I can put into words. Sometimes its just the right combination of cue shaft with going with a joint pin that fits, and away you go!! And then you make all the good Vibes (the magic), will come together with lots of work, and practice, that you put in. I suppose I kinda get inspired.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys probably think I'm mental here. But is there is any truth In this? I believe there is. I've only experienced it twice. First was a very early kenny murrell, and the other was a with an old masterstroke cue with an old jensen shaft, thay both played amazing well.unfortunately, I had to sell that shaft. The weird thing was, it didn't matter what other shaft I used with it. I couldn't get that feeling back. The magic was gone!! Most cues just play average,or very good. but occasionally, You will find something, that plays amazing.
I just wondered how many others have experienced this with different cues?

The Ned Morris I just sold had a great feel with any shaft I used with it. I also own a few shafts that make the cue they are on feel better to me. It's definitely a thing that exists.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ned Morris I just sold had a great feel with any shaft I used with it. I also own a few shafts that make the cue they are on feel better to me. It's definitely a thing that exists.
I have a Troy Downey cue.
I have the original shaft and a shaft that was sold to me as a Ned Morris (?) shaft and it fit and it was only $35 so I didn't care who made it.
The Morris shaft just feels better,a little firmer hit.

71dewajack

Yes, some things have that extra something that speak and connect with certain people. This is as true with certain musical instruments as it is with cues, although it's hard to define, it's real.

I heard Chohan in a podcast from a year or so ago, where the host was asking him about how amazing his game had been during a particular stretch. He responded by saying something like, the SW cue I was using at the time allowed me to do anything, etc.

Start about the 3 minute mark on this video for an example till the 8th minute mark.

Wood is a living thing, and it's not all equal. Sometimes you come across a guitar, cue, shaft, etc. where it calls to you, and yes, it seems magical.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only buy cues that are advertised as hitting a ton.
No half ton cues for me.
But seriously from my $231 Schmelke,$250 Lucasi and my $1000 Troy Downey I see no real difference in how they play.
Years ago, there was a guy in my hometown poolroom that fitted a good shaft on one of those cheap, gaudy Budweiser cues. He made it mostly for hustling in bars. One day I was playing in a ring game with him and he was using that cue and not missing anything...winning all the money. When he went to the restroom, I hit some with that cue on the next table. Played great, as well as my expensive custom cue.

On the flip side, one time I was trying to get use to my first low deflection shaft. I was using it on my full splice Tasc. While it felt solid and it seemed to improve my shot making, my whole game went down a notch or two. I couldn't put my finger on the reason why because the shaft felt great to play with. Finally, I got tired of losing and switched back to my regular shaft. It was like someone flipped a switch and I immediately started playing significantly better. Sold that LD shaft and haven't tried once since.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need a jackpot cue.
Nice joke!! I just got that!!! I read how all that went down. I do think you guys have a point, when you say how good some shafts play.
If your talking just solid shafts,(like the joss mentioned)no laminated ones, or pie spliced ones. In my experience thay all play completely different. Depending on taper, diameter, length. Finding one just right for you, proves quite a challenge, custom built or other wise.

Last edited: