Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Flipping is for the birds. Lag it!

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... and since the rail is legal for a ball to be on ...

It's legal if a ball goes up on the rail and then returns to the playing surface, but not if it stays up there.

"A ball that contacts the top of the rail is not considered to have been driven off the table if it returns to the playing surface or enters a pocket." (WPA rules)

Measle Ball

King of the .99-ball run.
Silver Member
It's legal if a ball goes up on the rail and then returns to the playing surface, but not if it stays up there.

"A ball that contacts the top of the rail is not considered to have been driven off the table if it returns to the playing surface or enters a pocket." (WPA rules)

That's only happened to me once- 1978 at the Elk's Club in KodiakAK. I slammed the six-ball HARD into the rail, it rode along the top and dropped in the corner pocket. I laugh every time I think about it...

Back on-topic. In my opinion if it lands on the rail it should be re-flipped unless the parties agree beforehand it's OK if it happens to rest there. I view the rail as an obstruction but that's my opinion and nothing else.

But I'd rather lag anyway.

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
How about flipping so it lands on the floor and doesn't have a chance to hurt the cloth???

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

ok but a quarter isn't built to roll...this is why i prefer to lag lol

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've always let flips go anywhere. If it rolls onto the floor that counts too.

Ok, just so the thread isn't useless, has anyone EVERY found even the slightest evidence that flipping a coin onto the cloth can cut it or damage it?

I mean, has anyone SEEN this damage without a microscope? I'm a fan of respecting the equipment but I always wondered if this maybe wasn't an old wive's tale. Don't swim for an hour after you eat! You could cramp up and drown!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Ok, just so the thread isn't useless, has anyone EVERY found even the slightest evidence that flipping a coin onto the cloth can cut it or damage it?

I mean, has anyone SEEN this damage without a microscope? I'm a fan of respecting the equipment but I always wondered if this maybe wasn't an old wive's tale. Don't swim for an hour after you eat! You could cramp up and drown!

CreeDo:

Didn't you know that certain cultures *sharpen* the edges of their coins, so that they can be thrown as weapons? (E.g. mini Hira-shurikens) These can cut the cloth! And your skin... and your change purse... and your pocket... :D

Seriously, no, I've never heard this. Coins cutting the cloth by merely flipping them onto its surface? Come on! I can see if a drunkard was hurling coins at people standing near the table, and was missing so badly that he/she was glancing the coins off the table surface (which even then, I'd question, because the cloth is going to have to endure much worse treatment in a bar environment than coins bouncing off its surface). But plain flipping coins?

Then that means anyone with long fingernails is not allowed to play on that table -- because the fingernails in a clenched bridge put far more cutting pressure into the cloth than a little polished metal coin bouncing off of it!

-Sean

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member

Just who the heck are you calling an "old wife"?!?:angry:

Old, definitely!:wink:

All I know is I cringe every time I see someone flip a coin on the cloth (though, I do it too:(:eek:)

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member

I'm with you on this. Unless of course your accuracy in flipping is so great that you can make the coin land in the exact same place like a billion times, then yeah, it would probably leave a scar. But, from what I can see here, there are a lot of people that can't even hit the bed of a 4.5x9 foot table with a quarter from a foot away so it's probably not a problem.
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
ok but a quarter isn't built to roll...this is why i prefer to lag lol

Of course not, they're round, why would they roll? Man, I've been in line at the supermarket pulling money out of my pocket and a quarter falls out and rolls away and I have to go chasing it halfway across creation.
MULLY

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
One other interesting tid bit that may make a lot of you laugh. Here in Japan tournament breaks are determined by lagging. For regular play though.... rock, scissors, paper. No sh!t, I'm as serious as a heart attack. They actually do rock, scissors, paper to determine the break. hahaha!!
MULLY

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Not in some parts of southern Arkansas. I was in a bar called "Ernies Brew and Cue", just off I-45 on the far north side of the southbound access road when that very thing caused a fight to break out on one of Ernie's seven footers. The Sherriff was called, who turned out to be Ernie's brother-in-law, and arrested the two guys who started the fight. One of them was the nephew of Ernies second wife, who as it turns out was the sister of the Sherriff and the other guy was Ernie's step-son twice removed. I had been drinking heavily at the time and it made perfect sense. :D

I have been to that bar....his 2nd cousin, who is also his mother in law is also a pretty good shot. She learned to shoot from her brother, who also happens to be her uncle.......Just dont mess with that damn guard dog, he will hump your leg off and slobber all over your knee...:thumbup:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You wouldnt be laughing with a 125lb pit bull humping your leg like an easter bunny :shocked:

You know what would be funnier than that? A 125 pound Easter bunny wearing a T-shirt that said. "I Got Throwed Out Of Ernie's Brew And Cue" :D

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
You know what would be funnier than that? A 125 pound Easter bunny wearing a T-shirt that said. "I Got Throwed Out Of Ernie's Brew And Cue" :D

Oh hell.....them arkansas easter bunnys are a rough crew....I hear they put in a huge wad of chew before they start humping......

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if people get in an argument over this question... that is the very definition of NIT picking.