Items taken to the pool hall getting weird.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bring a set of balls to the PR.

I have a few different sets, like Aramiths and Centennials. I also have several different CBs -- RC, measles, Diamond. And if I'm going to an event I try and play with the set that will be used. But other than that I take my own balls because I know they will be minty fresh out of my Diamond ball polisher and the CB won't be beat up from break tips or shrunk up from 100,000 pool room miles. Lastly, playing with a good set of balls removes one more variable from a game that requires a lot of precision.

Lou Figueroa

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t laugh. I ran into a player years ago who played with a one piece cue and carried it around in pvc with a screw cap on both ends and a leather handle to carry it.
I didn't have screw caps on mine, just slip ons. I didn't have a strap either.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is one guy who plays league night the same night I do. I call him Batman because he always shows up with ALL the gadgets. I’m talking magic rack, his own pool balls, a delta 13 rack two cue cases with 3 cues and a jump cue. Also he carries 3 cell phones and wears earbuds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
can he play?

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a guy who used to run College Billiards in San Deigo. He told me that every day when he opened the doors
would be a smiling Ismael Paez with his personal set of balls. Probably 30 years ago.

Renegade4006

Just started playing APA League a few weeks ago. One place we play has those crappy flexible plastic racks. Close to impossible to get a good rack. The next time we play there (tomorrow) I'm taking some templates. If my opponent doesn't want to use them then we won't, but wow those plastic racks are bad.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does it offend you? Did you pay for it or lug it around?

Do you play on bar boxes? Because that offends me.
Just as you are seemingly appalled by this, there are those that are appalled by those that play in leagues on bar boxes and consider that to be pool. Everyone’s different
Look, I ve had about enough of all this barbox bashing. Especially for those that think a 9 ft. Table is real pool. If you ain't playing on AT LEAST a 10 footer, you playing on a kiddie table, and that is offensive! In fact, I don't see how you lower yourself to play on a little 9 footer...pitiful.

😉JK

sbrownn

Registered
I used to play in a pool hall in Eugene / Springfield, OR in the late 80s / early 90s where one of the top sticks brought his own set of balls and light bulbs.

Now I always have a red circle and aramith purple logo when the tables are not setup for free / league play cue balls with me. I bought a set of Dynaspheres bronze (great balls!) before the price went up even though I don't have a table, so I use those when it is free / league play also - they roll so much better on the newer simonis! I also bought 12 new bulbs after the tables were done (unfortunately bar is too cheap to have decent lighting) and I really like them with no flicker and are very bright:
1712086779314.jpeg

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t laugh. I ran into a player years ago who played with a one piece cue and carried it around in pvc with a screw cap on both ends and a leather handle to carry it.
When I was a teenager, I used to carry an old Brunswick one-piece cue around. Man, I played my best pool with that cue. I wish I still had it.

I finally got tired of carrying it and hid it in the poolroom somewhere.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Just started playing APA League a few weeks ago. One place we play has those crappy flexible plastic racks. Close to impossible to get a good rack. The next time we play there (tomorrow) I'm taking some templates. If my opponent doesn't want to use them then we won't, but wow those plastic racks are bad.
They will probably insist on using the crap ones. It's just how league goes. They think it's an advantage to have a tight rack. The thing is everyone has a tight rack... so learn to break from a tight rack.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I used to play in a pool hall in Eugene / Springfield, OR in the late 80s / early 90s where one of the top sticks brought his own set of balls and light bulbs.
Was that Quackenbush? Or Galloway? Guessing the hall was Luckeys, they still have those crappy lights.

shooter_Hans

Bringing your own cue and perhaps chalk is enough.

When I first saw people bring their own set of balls I thought it was funny. Now all they have to do is save up for a pool table. The have the cue, chalk, rack and balls but no table. ROFL

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a teenager, I used to carry an old Brunswick one-piece cue around. Man, I played my best pool with that cue. I wish I still had it.

I finally got tired of carrying it and hid it in the poolroom somewhere.
I would bet that 90% of the people in here had a cue hidden , lol some of them are probably still there,
I found an Easter egg, a couple of years ago, I hid when my youngest son was little , he is 38 now.