It's George Cue

jazzyjeff92

Registered
I just recently received my cue back from someone that was suppose to refinish my cue and i received back missing some work done to it. I'm trying to keep this close to original and I am about to get a shaft for it and also need it wrapped and a new butt cap, does anyone know where or what kind of butt cap i could use to replace the one that was not returned to me. i uploaded a few pictures of my cue.

Attachments

• IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 884
  • IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 727
  • IMAG0122 (1).jpg
    IMAG0122 (1).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 737

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why was the wrap not done at the time of refinish? I would be mad if my cue came back missing stuff. Who did the work?

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Ring work

It also looks by the picture that the finish was not built up around the ringwork. I'm not sure why the rings are that small compared to the rest of the forearm to begin with anyway.

jazzyjeff92

Registered
the wrap covers that ring work, its not part of the design, im looking for a butt cap that would look similar to the one that was suppose to be on there.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt cap would have to be made. I believe it is delrin.

I thought there was a CM that would reproduce this logo, but I don't remember who.

Odd that the ring work would be covered.....

Sad that the work was not completed. I am sure there is a story behind that.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with Doc on the rings, too bad they were cut down and covered up.

Do you need a new butt cap (the whole white thing) or the rubber stopper that fits into that?

jazzyjeff92

Registered
Bumper I'm an idiot sorry, story is I gave this cue to someone to refinish about 8 years ago after he made me a custom cue. He said it would take sometime and it was someone who played in our league and I figured I could trust him. Well after a while he stopped returning my calls, I would track him down again and I would get excuse after excuse of why it was not ready. Then it would all happen all over again, I would give him my info through emails and could never catch up with him. He no longer played in our league and I gave up thinking my cue was lost. I started hearing that he started his own business and was able to finally track him down. I sent messages through people and would not get a response back so I sent an to his business and got a response. After waiting an extra two months after that I finally got my cue back from this person, the way it's pictured is not the way I gave it to him. I'm trying to get it back together and im worried about trusting someone else. That's the story, it's someone in the Dallas area. He was not even worried about replacing my shaft that was lost when that's his line of work. I guess you live and learn, I been through a lot with this cue.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
If you are in the Dallas area, bring the cue by my shop sometime. I think I have a bumper that will fit. I am just a little north of Dallas up US 75 in Anna.

Larry

swilliespeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is one hell of a story. Wish we knew the name of the supposed cuemaker or repairman. Anyway, you would have no worries with Larry. He does outstanding work, and you can trust him. So sorry to hear about your ordeal. Good luck.

jazzyjeff92

Registered
It would be hard to believe if i gave the name, i just don't want to put this persons name and the company he is attached to out there. But i have emails to back up my story. Thank for the input, ill be sure to post pics once i have the cue all together again.

markdrums1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up Proficient Billiards in Pa, 10 day turn around...prob $145 to re-finish and re-wrap? best work in the business!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my; good luck. I cannot believe the hack turned down that Bushka ring!

Josh

I think he's saying that the cue was like that originally (correct me if I am wrong), which is a mind blower.

Obviously when cue makers and repair men remove wraps and/or take apart cues they find some occasional surprises. This may be one of them. It makes me wonder how unusual such a thing might be.

RBC

Deceased
OK, I'll let the cat out of the bag.

It's me.

But there's a little more to the story.

I think it was a little longer than 8 years ago, but I'm not sure how much longer. Jeff used to play in a tournament that I frequented and I agreed to refinish the cue for him. This was many years before OB Cues, when I was working in the car business and built cues for fun. I always told anyone wanting work like this done that I could do it, but it might take a pretty long time. I only worked on this kind of thing when I really felt like it. I worked long hours at the car dealerships and sometimes I went weeks or months without getting out in the garage to work on cues. At some time along the way, Jeff stopped showing up and the few that he ran with seemed to have lost touch with him. I had no other way to reach him at the time.

The cue was stripped down and several coats of clear were applied before I stopped and put it aside. The rings below the forearm were already cut down and wrapped over when I received it. I believe this was original. Most likely, the cue either had problems with the rings, or shouldn't have had rings in the first place so they just cut them down and wrapped over them. I don't recall what I did with the bumper, but I usually replaced them anyway because they get worn and look bad on a newly finished cue. I put the cue in my closet at home so if he ever popped back up I would still have it for him. After that, I pretty much just forgot about it.

Earlier this year, Jeff emailed me and asked about the cue. I told him I still had it, and could get it back to him. I did delay it because of my travel schedule at the time, but was able to get the cue back to him in it's current condition. The cue was in my closet all this time, waiting to get it back to him. I didn't find the shaft with the cue, so my assumption is that I didn't get the shaft with the cue. I will go look once again to make sure I didn't just miss it.

My rule, way back then, was to only accept payment when the work was done, so I don't believe I was paid anything for the work that was done to the cue to get into the current condition. I certainly don't want or expect anything either. I'm just happy to get it back to Jeff.

Since this was a personal transaction between myself and Jeff, long before OB Cues ever came to be, I won't use any of OB Cues resources to finish the cue. It really doesn't have anything to do with OB Cues. I don't keep a shop at my home any longer, so I don't have the means to finish the cue. I don't really have the time now either. The cue probably needs a few more coats of finish and it can be sanded, buffed, wrapped and finished up. I'll check again for the shaft. If it's there, of course I will get it to Jeff.

I'm sorry this didn't work out like either of us expected it to. I feel I've done more than would normally be expected by hanging on to the cue for this long. If there is anything else I can do, I'd be happy to entertain it.

half fast bankr

Purist / Traditionalist
Silver Member
Well, points for owning up to it.

"Since this was a personal transaction between myself and Jeff, long before OB Cues ever came to be, I won't use any of OB Cues resources to finish the cue. It really doesn't have anything to do with OB Cues."

^^^ This part seems a little off though. Granted, the cue had nothing to do with OB, but now you have a far greater ability to deliver on YOUR promise and finish what you started. If it were me, I'd knock that out with the quickness just to get that guilt ridden honor monkey off my back. But I'm all about my word, others mileage may vary.

BTW, I'm strongly considering a few of your Classic Pro's. As we've not yet met, are you the owner or an agent of OB?

Best regards.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry this didn't work out like either of us expected it to. I feel I've done more than would normally be expected by hanging on to the cue for this long. If there is anything else I can do, I'd be happy to entertain it.

You have enough integrity to keep someone else's cue for 8 years and not sell it off, but not enough to offer to actually complete the refinish with your resources available? What a load of bullshit.

jazzyjeff92

Registered
He messaged me over the weekend and found my shaft. I am meeting with him today to get my shaft that was found, This was before OB cues and just a personal transaction. I am thankful the cue was not sold during the time he had it, i think anyone else would have done that a while back. Royce has returned my cue and i am getting the shaft today. I still need to get some work done to the que, had the work been done i would have paid for what was done on it but getting it back has been the best thing.

jazzyjeff92

Registered
I just got back from picking up my shaft, now i just need to find a bumper for it and also get it wrapped. Thinking for sending it to Proficient Billiards in Pa, i seen some other work and it looks amazing. They have been suggested to me a few times already. Im excited to finally getting this thing put back together.