J&J break cue pin size ?

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Anyone know what type of pin is used on a J&J break cue ?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
I believe it is a cast thread. Off the top of my head I don't remember the thread but for some reason a modified 14 tpi is sticking in there. I can chek my notes tonight. Also KJ may know this off the top of his head.

John

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hi John,
How you been? You've been in my thoughts as of late. Hope all is well for you & yours.

Thanks for your vote of confidence that I would know this pin size but unfortunately I'm not up on it. I haven't had a J&J 'anything' come my way in probably several years now, but then I don't go out looking for them either. I wish I could be of more help for this gentleman.

"Also KJ may know this off the top of his head."
About the only thing that comes off the top of my head anymore is hair.

Take Care Buddy and may God be with you.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Thanks for the input guys. If you would like I can post up a picture tomorrow of the pin if that will help.

Thanks

Frank

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
A pic may prove to be very helpful, thank you.

If I may ask, what is your end goal? What is your reason for wanting to know the pin config.?
There are ways around obstacles.

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin size

A pic may prove to be very helpful, thank you.

If I may ask, what is your end goal? What is your reason for wanting to know the pin config.?
There are ways around obstacles.

It is some chinese acme thread, lol. You can purchase extra shafts directly from J and J cues. google it.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Most JJ's I have seen were 5/16X18 but the newer ones could be different.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A picture could certainly only help, but curious if It is a quick release, or a full threaded pin? Some of them just use a standard 5/16-18, but off the top of my head I'm not sure what the thread pattern for the QR knock off is. I've never had to match a shaft to one, so never had that need to know.

Like KJ mentioned Your intent in knowing may help with answers, because if Your looking to have a shaft made or matched to It, and It's a knock off QR, then You may also have the option of changing the pin. As well as solving the bastard thread count issue, changing the pin can also give the option to center It better then It may now be centered, and that may help with matching the shaft up. Some of those imports have pins that are not centered to perfection, I'm not saying this is a issue with everyone, but It is an issue that plagues them never the less, and sometimes changing the pin provides a much cleaner base to match with the new shaft. Less headaches matching the faces to get the cue to roll true as well.

BTW, I use to sell J&J cues, and if You only need a stock shaft then they can Probably sell You one, They usually have replacements for sale. If however your looking to sink some money into a custom shaft, then the above may be something to consider.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Well I like the Jump/Break cue as it is now but I have been thinking about putting a OB Break shaft on it. So I'm kinda hoping that its a standard size pin.

It is a quick release pin that is on the cue. Here is a link to the cue that I have http://www.jjcue.com/images/2731-1.jpg

jj7-2.jpg

Last edited:

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it isn't a standard size, i don't know what the pin specs are. i've seen it on a bunch of other asian import cues too. i know royce was working on making ob break shafts with the j&j insert, you might want to check with him about them

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to get some of those pins and inserts, but didn't have any luck. That is a very popular J/B around here, and I've had some questions on getting new shafts made for them. Shafts without the inserts don't work to well!

Good luck, and if you find a source for these let me know.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you're really dedicated to this idea you could buy another j&j and have a cue maker take the insert out and put it in an ob break shaft

RocketQ

It's Not Rocket Science
Silver Member
I have done a couple of these. However it would be cheaper as mentioned earlier to just buy another j&J and switch..

John

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Well now that I know that getting the insert for the pin is difficult I'm thinking I should just have the pin changed on the butt section.

Thanks for all of the help guys :thumbup: