James Aranas vs Justin Bergman -10 Ball Action Rematch - 8pm Tonight

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Far from nobody wins.

Rather the issue is that usually the player isn't putting up the money so it is not a 100% return for them. Now if they were playing 1k sets and putting up their own money, see the difference?

If you have no entry fee, no calcutta, then yes I would drive to play a 1k match where I have a hotel and food as my costs, especially if I put up all the money.

1k starting point would mean ....... nobody wins.

As you know, it's their "living".

I wouldn't drive from Alabama to Texas for 1k even if it was just to drive there, turn around and drive back.....so, how much would it take to make it $$$ to drive that far, pay for lodging, food, miscellaneous expenses?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont think Berg is ready for Shane.

Probably the same type table. Although table
like these makes Shane vulnerable.

I much prefer a 4.25" Diamond for pros.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't see their first match, Terry. Any idea how many B&R's in that one out of the 37 games?
Very few Break and runs in the 1st set as well and that was just how Justin wanted it.

A lot of those strategic games played had a much more favorable outcome for Justin in set #1

James played better and got the best luck after the break, hard combo to beat, he deserved to win last night.

Even though very few break and runs, the break and how the balls were positioned after the break shot was the key.

James did break better and it seemed if he did break dry, Bergman had no good look at the one ball.

Breaker won game:
Aranas -- 13 of 21 (62%)
Bergman -- 5 of 13 (38%)

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I watched these two quite often at Mandalay Bay. Aranas break, and his style is similar to DO in many ways. He won a few hill matches from behind. Packages were common, and I'm sure a few of his matches he lost under 5 games. He played well, tho not to the consistency level of D.O yet. Justin, his table body language was not as good as it was in 2017 US Open VA. I think his game slipped. This final score is on par for the way they both performed. And Chang getting knocked out early at Mandalay, he had that look, he wanted to Play and not hang around and watch. :)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched these two quite often at Mandalay Bay. Aranas break, and his style is similar to DO in many ways. He won a few hill matches from behind. Packages were common, and I'm sure a few of his matches he lost under 5 games. He played well, tho not to the consistency level of D.O yet. Justin, his table body language was not as good as it was in 2017 US Open VA. I think his game slipped. This final score is on par for the way they both performed. And Chang getting knocked out early at Mandalay, he had that look, he wanted to Play and not hang around and watch. :)

is aranas as slow as dennis when there is no shot clock? bergman is way too slow for me, hard to watch.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis plays rotation fairly fast. Occasionally there
might be a difficult rack and he will take his time.

Its 1p that Dennis can plays slower on.

Aranas is one of the fastest shooting pros.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is aranas as slow as dennis when there is no shot clock? bergman is way too slow for me, hard to watch.

Yeah-I had mixed emotions that my stream stopped working-I was mostly happy i could go to sleep with a clean conscience without being tortured any more even with action on the set!. JB wants to precisely 'air stroke' at least 2 shots ahead most of the time when most other players just want to get on the right side of the ball and fairly tight. He walks 2x as far as an average player during a set i'd guess. Not for me.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Race to 25, 2 games on the wire for berg easy. I guarantee Shane would still take the action.

Heck remember Shane gave Corey something like the 7 and out and still robbed him.

Something about pro pool players wanting to play even.

Fargo 823 vs 792, c'mon now.

After last night, I dont think I want to watch it.
5hrs of Berg for 3+ days is gruesome and I like the guy.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1k starting point would mean ....... nobody wins.

As you know, it's their "living".

I wouldn't drive from Alabama to Texas for 1k even if it was just to drive there, turn around and drive back.....so, how much would it take to make it $$$ to drive that far, pay for lodging, food, miscellaneous expenses?

Not really accurate thought process.

They didn't go for that, they were already there.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Like gxman said. He's actually a little to fast at times. He will tho take his time when he doesn't like it. There's no fold in him either.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys might be underestimating Berg a little.

He did win the 1st set vs Aranas

He beat Oscar giving him a spot for the cash..

He beat Kevin Cheng even for the cash

He beat J Shaw bad (over 20 games in a race to 80) when they played even

I do agree playing SVB is SUPER tough action :eek:

But the table they are going be playing on is a tight Gold Crown very tough to string any kind of racks.

And using a racking template evens out SVB's racking and breaking advantage some :)

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah-I had mixed emotions that my stream stopped working-I was mostly happy i could go to sleep with a clean conscience without being tortured any more even with action on the set!. JB wants to precisely 'air stroke' at least 2 shots ahead most of the time when most other players just want to get on the right side of the ball and fairly tight. He walks 2x as far as an average player during a set i'd guess. Not for me.

It definitely makes me lean towards not buying the PPV for SVB vs him.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really accurate thought process.

They didn't go for that, they were already there.

No Sir, my thought process is spot on.

Notice I said "I wouldn't travel from Alabama to Texas". I never said anything about them or anyone already being there.

Of course I would do it if I was "already there". But, I stand by my original statement about it not being worth it to "travel + room expenses + food + miscellaneous expenses" for $1,000 sets.

Naw, even the winner is a loser unless they play several sets and he wins every single set.

Example:

You and I meet in middle to play 5 sets for 1k each. Were there for 2 days and nights. By the time we each pay for gas, food, rooms....etc...etc... how much would you clear if you won 3 out of the 5 sets?

Now....lol....what if you only end up 1 set ahead? Lololol.....guess what? You do good to break even.

That's what I was getting at. I was not talking about that specific match. I made it clear in my original post that "I" would travel....etc...etc... for next to nothing.

Why do you think so many pros pass on tournaments even if they are the favorite to place or even win? Cause the risk to reward isn't there, that's why.

You know this chit as well as anyone does!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a lotta words to acknowledge your post was unrelated to the topic at hand.

No Sir, my thought process is spot on.

Notice I said "I wouldn't travel from Alabama to Texas". I never said anything about them or anyone already being there.

Of course I would do it if I was "already there". But, I stand by my original statement about it not being worth it to "travel + room expenses + food + miscellaneous expenses" for $1,000 sets.

Naw, even the winner is a loser unless they play several sets and he wins every single set.

Example:

You and I meet in middle to play 5 sets for 1k each. Were there for 2 days and nights. By the time we each pay for gas, food, rooms....etc...etc... how much would you clear if you won 3 out of the 5 sets?

Now....lol....what if you only end up 1 set ahead? Lololol.....guess what? You do good to break even.

That's what I was getting at. I was not talking about that specific match. I made it clear in my original post that "I" would travel....etc...etc... for next to nothing.

Why do you think so many pros pass on tournaments even if they are the favorite to place or even win? Cause the risk to reward isn't there, that's why.

You know this chit as well as anyone does!

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Got to catch this stream, and it went quite smoothly the whole time.

Berg does play very slow and careful, but that's ok by me.
You gotta do what works best for you, and he reached damn near Fargo 800
shooting like that.

Last night he went into give-up mode. His break stopped working and James'
starting working great, but on top of that berg showed a lot of frustration, starting
shooting faster (only 17 minutes per shot :) ) and smacking his cue on the rail
or chucking it on the table.

James also caught rolls. Which isn't to use that tired old excuse of "oh he only won
cuz he got lucky"... james also played better... but on top of that, at least
3 times he missed and left justin hooked. One of those, justin did a great kick'n'stick safe
with 2 balls to use as cover, and the object ball rolled to the one place where james could
shoot exactly between those 2 balls.

Berg, if he keeps his mental game together, might still lose to a player like Dodong,
but it would be close, not like an 8 game semi-blowout.

All that being said, why would you play SVB in his best game? Magic rack won't help,
bergman has a great controlled 10b break with magic rack, but clearly he doesn't have it down
pat to the point where he can just make a ball on autopilot. As the night wore on he kept
scratching in the side. I also felt like neither player was being super careful with the magic rack.
The accu-rack needs at least a little effort to freeze the balls. Several times they broke and the 10
ball would travel all the way to a rail, when a perfect rack would not allow it to move more than like 2 inches.