James D. McDermott---RIP

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
It is with great regret and sadness that the very first thread I have started on this site was to report the death of cuemaker Jim McDermott.

It was only a week ago I was in Wisconsin to attend the funeral of his wife Marilyn. He is now joining her once again.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is very sad news indeed. I had a long talk with him when he went into our International Cuemakers Hall of Fame and I will always cherish that short time I got to know him.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. I never met Jim personally but have owned a number of his cues when I first started to play pool. This man's company has provided a lot to the Billiards industry. Man Jim and his wife rest in peace.

Kevin

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Very sad to see a beloved figure in the billiard industry like Jim McDermott pass away.
RIP Mr. McDermott

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
R.I.P. His legacy is the many cues bearing his name.

A man could do a lot worse...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is with great regret and sadness that the very first thread I have started on this site was to report the death of cuemaker Jim McDermott.

It was only a week ago I was in Wisconsin to attend the funeral of his wife Marilyn. He is now joining her once again.

Thanks for the information. Jim McDermott is a Hall of Famer who was IMO the premier influence for flat-faced wood-to-wood joints using the big threaded pin into female threaded shaft.

Others might have done it first, but McDermott reached out to way more people and cuemakers.

Freddie

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I considered Jim a friend...

I still remember how broken up he was over his good friend Jim Varney's passing.

Jim Varney had taught him how to throw knives and was a genuine bad ass, regardless of the roles he played as Earnest P Worrell.

Jim McDermott has become an icon in billiards and pool cue manufacture and considering that the first pool cue I ever bought was a McDermott long before I ever met Jim, I was proud to call him my friend.

This is sad news indeed.

Jaden

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Gosh, he's been a fixture in the industry for decades. Him losing his wife must have hit him like a ton of bricks.

My sincere condolences. :sad:

His legacy and 4 leaf clovers will live on forever.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear! Jim was highly thought of for as long as I can remember since I started playing.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member

-
Very sad... She passed away and a week later he passes away.... He only lived for her, sad to learn of this . You don't see or hear of to many couples living out a long loved marriage.
When I see two very old couple together at store or shopping mall pushing a walker or wheelchair it's easy to see that one has the body and the other has the brains of the operation. I stop, look up and say to myself you just don't see that to much these days/ long love. These old folks probably have grandkids my age that will probbaly never get to experience what grandma and grandpa once did...

The two may be gone but sure not forgotten.

Rob.M

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Its so sad, and I never know the right words to say. Sigh.

Be sure to let your loved ones, your friends, and just ordinary people that you appreciate, know how you feel, because life is short, and our time here is precious.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Wonderful Man

Sorry all, I jumped and thought it was JM from Magoo's its not, it's Jim McDermott the Cuemaker, he too was equally a Great man and brought the McDermott tour to many of us all during McChesneys days. To his family and friends the best at this difficult time.

Last edited:

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear the news. Always cherished my d series cue and wish kept that cue from 1984! Will be missed a legend for sure!

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Just got home bump, and still trying to let it sink in......

A lot of people don't realize just how much he contributed to the players, the sport. When the cue biz hit a peak, he gave a ton back, maybe 2 tons....hell...he gave back tons of tons.

If the powers that be should happen upon this post, I think he should be a shoe in for the Meritorious Service award that the BCA gives out every year.

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Benefactor

Just got home bump, and still trying to let it sink in......

A lot of people don't realize just how much he contributed to the players, the sport. When the cue biz hit a peak, he gave a ton back, maybe 2 tons....hell...he gave back tons of tons.

If the powers that be should happen upon this post, I think he should be a shoe in for the Meritorious Service award that the BCA gives out every year.
Robin, you are correct about Jim's Philanthropy in the Billiards Industry. I can personally attest to numerous times I spoke to Jim about being a part of the Junior Nationals,BCA Summer Camp, and Billiard Education Foundation and even for the BCA National Championships. He always gave, and he gave generously. I had met Jim and Marilyn quite a few times during my stint at the BCA, and I always felt being in the presence of warm, loving,happy people. They reminded me of my own parents.

As an innovator and salesman he had the respect of his peers within the industry. I agree that not only an entry within the Hall of Fame, but I would desire to see the BCA make a special award in the name of Jim and Marilyn McDermott. Pick a Category,...I'm sure it would be appropriate.

God Bless.