Jays book

steveinflorida

Silver Member
Jay's book

An absolute must for any pool aficionado.
This is the real deal. Best book yet on the world of pool.

I was at a lot of the places that Jay talks about,
including lovely Fort Polk, Louisana, and Jay's recolection is uncany. His talent for telling stories is wonderful.
If you haven't gotten a copy yet, do so. You won't regret it.
I look forward to a follow up.

Last edited:

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
Jay says there will be no movie of the book, but if you buy one of his Gold Crown tables, he will come to your house and act out a couple of chapters for you. Trust me, it's worth the price.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay says there will be no movie of the book, but if you buy one of his Gold Crown tables, he will come to your house and act out a couple of chapters for you. Trust me, it's worth the price.

The Gold Crowns are gone! The last one was sold this week. But if you invite me for dinner, I'll tell you the "back story" behind any story that was in the book. Many of the stories you read are the "condensed" version. Not all, but many. For instance if I told you the entire story about my travels with Fats (in his limo) that would take a whole book in itself to tell. He was one funny (and amazing) cat.

And the guy who christened me Toupee Jay was best friends with Don Johnson (still is as far as I know). His name was Sean Walsh and they called him Arizona Slim. He was the Straight Pool champion of Arizona at 15. Sean was another unforgettable character. Warren Beatty's stand-in and look alike. Sean did many of the more acrobatic stunts for Warren in movies like Shampoo and Bonnie & Clyde. He also moonlighted as a high end cat burglar (to the stars of course). He even wrote a script or two for Miami Vice. Together Sean and I wrote the opening scene (a pool scene in a bar) for Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man. I humbly feel that was the best scene in an otherwise horrible movie. Sean also did a stretch in the big house, but got away with millions. Sometime I'll tell you the story about when he borrowed my Ford Mustang and pulled a job.

And Leon, the guy who protected me moonlighted as a bank robber from coast to coast. He came to an inglorious end after pulling a daring daytime robbery in Hollywood, gunned down by the cops on someone's front lawn. True story! Front page news in the L.A. Times a long, long time ago.

Last edited:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Jay, one thing my daddy told me before leaving this shitty world....

Eric >;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, one thing my daddy told me before leaving this shitty world....

Eric >;)

That was your dad. My dad was a doctor, but in college he was a boxing champion. He taught me to throw the first punch and make it a good one. :thumbup:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jays book is one of the best. I'm amazed at his memory, almost as if he always carried a diary with him.

I knew most of the places on the west coast that he wrote about and his book sent me back in time to them. I read the book from start to finish without putting it down. Great book Jay.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jays book is one of the best. I'm amazed at his memory, almost as if he always carried a diary with him.

I knew most of the places on the west coast that he wrote about and his book sent me back in time to them. I read the book from start to finish without putting it down. Great book Jay.

Thanks Frank. My memory is not quite that good. I only remember the guys who beat me. :smile:

I've had guys come up to me somewhere and start talking about when we played in Tulsa or Shreveport or ???. They would tell me a whole story about our game and I would remember NONE of it. Good stories too. I would usually ask them how much it cost me, knowing full well that I must have won. They would get a chuckle out of that line.

But the guys who beat me I never forgot. :frown:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
Looks as though I will be buying this book......I have been to alot of places Jay has it seems....though our paths never crossed...Gotta Love Fort Polk though........gawd I hated that place:cool:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks as though I will be buying this book......I have been to alot of places Jay has it seems....though our paths never crossed...Gotta Love Fort Polk though........gawd I hated that place:cool:

ME TOO! What I always say about my Army experience is that they did one good thing for me. They got me in good shape! We would get up around 5 AM, get cleaned up and immediately run a mile. Then it was one hour of calisthenics. Finally we could have some breakfast.

We would walk with our packs a few miles to the rifle range every day. And maybe once a week they would send us on a 10-20 mile forced march. That's a fast paced walk, carrying all our gear naturally. And Tigerland (where they trained for Nam) was much more rigorous.

When I left Ft. Polk six months later I was in the best condition of my life, slim and trim. Being s supply clerk (very soft duty) I managed to get back out of shape within a year. :thumbup:

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
ME TOO! What I always say about my Army experience is that they did one good thing for me. They got me in good shape! We would get up around 5 AM, get cleaned up and immediately run a mile. Then it was one hour of calisthenics. Finally we could have some breakfast.

We would walk with our packs a few miles to the rifle range every day. And maybe once a week they would send us on a 10-20 mile forced march. That's a fast paced walk, carrying all our gear naturally. And Tigerland (where they trained for Nam) was much more rigorous.

When I left Ft. Polk six months later I was in the best condition of my life, slim and trim. Being s supply clerk (very soft duty) I managed to get back out of shape within a year. :thumbup:

My time at Ft Polk was on North Fort Polk when we would go to JRTC.......gawd I hated doing that field duty....one night a friend was carrying the PRC-77...had a large whip antenna, in a thunderstorm....he got hit by lightning......he was ok....another radioman in 2nd Plt got hit 5 minutes later...now that was freaky......but thats Fort Polk for ya.....I think its similar to the Bermuda triangle:thumbup: